Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports: Sources: Eagles give McNabb raise

OWUeagleMD

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9671226/Sources:-Eagles-give-McNabb-raise-

Sources: Eagles give McNabb raise

Finally, we could have an Eagles training camp where there aren't doubts about Donovan McNabb's future.

That's because Philadelphia has reworked the starting quarterback's contract, giving him a raise over the final two years of his deal and guararanteed money for 2010, FOXSports.com has learned Thursday.

Last season, McNabb threw 23 touchdowns and 11 interceptions on his way to leading the Eagles to the NFC championship game, where they lost to the Arizona Cardinals.

That was the first time since 2003 that McNabb, 32, had played an entire regular season. This isn't to say that the season in which he threw for 3,916 yards went smoothly.

The quarterback was benched by coach Andy Reid in a Week 12 blowout loss to the Ravens, prompting some speculation that his time in Philly was coming to an end. McNabb's replacement Kevin Kolb didn't fare much better against the fierce Ravens defense.

I'm glad Philly invested in him. Should be fun when the fans turn on him once or twice during the season...as they usually do.

For some Philly fans in ATN, we allow them to give up on their team at least once a year.

He was scheduled to make 19.2 over the next two years.

Now he'll get 24.5 with another 1mil in incentives.

He really was looking for a contract extension, which this is not, but obviously this was enough for him because he signed it.

Where did he say he really wanted an extension? That's right, you just made that up.

What was he asking for? A donut?

Of course he wanted a new contract.

Says who? He got 5 million with no further obligation.

Now if we suspend reality, I'm sure we can make the argument that he WOULD want a contract, but to do so, we'd have to just go off of everything other than what he has said, all evidence, and the contract HE just signed.

Basically, business as usual around here. Carry on.

Says who? He got 5 million with no further obligation.

Now if we suspend reality, I'm sure we can make the argument that he WOULD want a contract, but to do so, we'd have to just go off of everything other than what he has said, all evidence, and the contract HE just signed.

Basically, business as usual around here. Carry on.

"Everybody wants a new deal," McNabb said Wednesday. "But, that's not why we're playing this game. We're playing this game to win, and things happen. I've been answering this question the last couple of years, so I guess to eliminate that part of it, hopefully [a new contract] will happen, but we'll see."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3792517

WB, aren't you embarrassed that fans on a rival board know more about your team than you do?

Where did he say he really wanted an extension? That's right, you just made that up.

How about right here last Dec when he said he wanted to retire as an Eagle and wanted to discuss a new deal which would take the uncertainty away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3874582

What actually happened it seems is the Eagles dont want to extend McNabb but thew him a bone with a modest raise (I should be so lucky!) to keep their current QB happy but with no extra years. Not sure if any of this extra money is guaranteed either.

Whatever, but lets not try to spin this that Donovan did not want an extension - he did and in the end he did not get that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3792517

WB, aren't you embarrassed that fans on a rival board know more about your team than you do?

What does "a new deal" entail? I'm sure you will take the leap of faith and assume he means more years added. I'm pretty sure he is happy with getting 5 million for nothing and still having the ability to sign another contract in two years.

What does "a new deal" entail? I'm sure you will take the leap of faith and assume he means more years added. I'm pretty sure he is happy with getting 5 million for nothing and still having the ability to sign another contract in two years.

This is from the article I linked to above from ESPN last year. Hard to read this in any other way than he wanted extra years adding to his deal - and more money to be sure - so he could retire an Eagle. No?

By the way I agree with you though that I'm sure he is happy to get extra money in the next two years without the team getting even an extra 1 years service from McNabb in return. Pretty dumb on the part of your front office if you ask me not to insist on adding an extra non guaranteed year in return for the pay rise.

Speaking to reporters Friday, a joyful McNabb reiterated he wanted to broach the subject of his contract with the Eagles during this offseason. But he also said he wished to remain in Philly for the rest of his career.

McNabb, set to make $9.2 million next season and $10 million in the final year of his contract, also wants to get "things solved."

“ I want things to get taken care of, and then I won't have to answer whether I'll be back the next year.

” -- Donovan McNabb

"The contract deals with a lot of different things, and I'll kind of leave it at that," McNabb said. "I want things to get taken care of, and then I won't have to answer whether I'll be back the next year.

"I've had to answer 20 weeks this year about coming back and last year as well. It's tiresome, but I'd rather have people asking me every year than be somewhere else. I want to be in Philly."

Every player spouts the company line about wanting to "retire an _____" to look good in public. You subjectively left out the fact that the most recent McNabb statements was that he was going to take a wait and see approach before talking about any contract extension. I wonder why? Probably because it blows up your argument. Shoot, Cutler said he wanted to stay in Denver after asking for a trade.

Now we have him willfully signing this 5 million dollar bonus.

He wants to stay an Eagle because even when they lose they are the "better team". That's a pretty sweet deal.

It's intriguing to me how much those comments stuck in the collective craw of redskin nation. It's mentioned in nearly every thread discussing Donovan McNabb. Don't get me wrong, I cringed when he said it, I just find the lingering animosity of it pretty interesting.

It has been widely reported for sometime now that he wanted an extension. This isn't even a debatable issue.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

It's been widely reported that he wanted a new deal. It was subsequently speculated that he wanted an extension.

It's intriguing to me how much those comments stuck in the collective craw of redskin nation. It's mentioned in nearly every thread discussing Donovan McNabb. Don't get me wrong, I cringed when he said it, I just find the lingering animosity of it pretty interesting.

Probably most of those posts are mine! It just shows how arrogant McNabb is. He's not the saint some people make him out to be.

Probably most of those posts are mine! It just shows how arrogant McNabb is. He's not the saint some people make him out to be.

I've seen those posts from sooooooo many Skins fans.

I'm trying to think of something an opposing player said in a pre- or post-game press conference that ruffled as many feathers among Eagles nation as McNabb's "better team" comments did among Skins nation. I'm sure there's something, but I can't think of it right now.

I've seen those posts from sooooooo many Skins fans.

I'm trying to think of something an opposing player said in a pre- or post-game press conference that ruffled as many feathers among Eagles nation as McNabb's "better team" comments did among Skins nation. I'm sure there's something, but I can't think of it right now.

My roomate, who is a Steelers fan, and respects Mcnabb, thought those comment were way out of line and still does if it's brought up. Just throwing that in there.

The east is a rough division to live in. Its tough to beat division rivals. If a team beats you, let alone sweeps your team, maybe they deserve a little credit. And he said it after BOTH games. That's what got to me.

Reminds me of when Dallas got their asses kicked by the Ravens and Romo sits to pee saying that if Dallas played them regularly they would win because he had time to figure out their defense.

Well he had plenty games to figure out the Eagles D. How'd that last game turn out?

You lost. Tip your hat to the victor and move on with dignity.

Archived