Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry shows for the last OTA

BALLz

Well, its completely different meaning with the skins, they have the snyder dictionary. Just ask Pierce and Ryan clark what the meaning of a core redskin is

Of course I-myself know what voluntary means but it is different for the redskin brass. Its just funny to me that the redskins probably pressured Landry soooo much that he had to jump on a plane and fly all the way over here for ONE 'voluntary' practice. If its not a big deal the redskins sure make it seem like a big deal to miss OTAs

I'm guessing you didnt know this, but EVERY NFL team feels the same way about OTA's.

They are voluntary. But you better have your ass here.

And considering that he has had no contact with the team, Im not sure how they pressured him into coming. He does what he wants, and for some reason decided to come in on the last day.

This doesn't take away from the fact that it is still a voluntary workout.

per dictionary.com:

vol⋅un⋅tar⋅y

1. done, made, brought about, undertaken, etc., of one's own accord or by free choice

2. of, pertaining to, or acting in accord with the will

3. of, pertaining to, or depending on voluntary action

and it still doesn't take away from the fact that landry is a professional athlete paid a kings ransom to play a game.

coaches always knew were shawn springs was at when he wasn't at OTA"s. why?because Springs is a professional.

Landry was pulling some BS,no call no show and no information to his whereabouts, that's not very professional

and it still doesn't take away from the fact that landry is a professional athlete paid a kings ransom to play a game.

coaches always knew were shawn springs was at when he wasn't at OTA"s. why?because Springs is a professional.

Landry was pulling some BS,no call no show and no information to his whereabouts, that's not very professional

Ahem....

From JLC's blog last year:

The absences of defensive backs Shawn Springs and LaRon Landry were un-excused according to Coach Jim Zorn, and the team has not heard from either player. Zorn said he will attempt to contact them both shortly and was no pleased with their absence though he also made a point not to overemphasize the situation.

Am I the ONLY one here with a decent memory? lol...

at a point though I remember Springs contacting them and saying he was in Arizona,and they said fine.

I'm not quite sure either way...here's what Phillip Daniels said about Springs' absence on June 3rd of last year:

His absence drew strong comments from Phillip Daniels on Tuesday.

"As a veteran, I would expect him to be here," Daniels said after practice. "We need him to be a leader of that group back there. He's the oldest of the group, so you have to show that leadership. The young guys in the secondary, they need that.

"There might be a reason he's not here--I'm not sure. But at the same time, if there's no reason...It's my 13th year and I'm here. Be here. Be a leader. That's how it is."

Didn't sound like anyone knew why he wasn't there...

This thread had a bunch of ESers complaining that Springs should at least call Zorn and fill him in (also from June 3rd and beyond):

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=248511

Just seemed as if Springs wasn't exactly going all-out to inform the coaching staff of his whereabouts or why he's not attending OTAs...

I'm not quite sure either way...here's what Phillip Daniels said about Springs' absence on June 3rd of last year:

Didn't sound like anyone knew why he wasn't there...

This thread had a bunch of ESers complaining that Springs should at least call Zorn and fill him in (also from June 3rd and beyond):

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=248511

Just seemed as if Springs wasn't exactly going all-out to inform the coaching staff of his whereabouts or why he's not attending OTAs...

I think springs was staying away for fear he would possibly get cut.

He didn't want to invest all that time in the team and get the axe.

However don't underestimate the amount of work that goes on in OTA's in terms of installing changes and additions to the offensive and defensive systems.

Anybody who skips all the sessions which Landry did will be behind when camp starts. I'm sure Landry will soon catch up - especially since his role is essentially to play deep centre filed in just about every coverage we run. So I'm not saying the sky is falling but I would not just dismiss OTA's as rookie mini camps.

Most veterans show up to OTAs to catchup with the guys they havent seen during the break nothing more. They barely get any reps. As far as being behind is all rubbish. Most "good teams" make adjustments weekly to keep teams guessing. There is nothing that was introduced in these few OTAs that LL cant catch up on in one day.

Look at other teams in the NFL. Several big name players skip OTA because they are for the rookies.

I think springs was staying away for fear he would possibly get cut.

He didn't want to invest all that time in the team and get the axe.

It wasn't the first time Springs stayed away, though.

Regardless, he was a no-show for OTAs and did NOT keep the coaching staff informed of his reasons or whereabouts. Yet there have been more than a few posts on this thread that have said just the opposite lol...I just wanted to remind everyone that Springs was not exactly the consumate professional last year, either.

Most veterans show up to OTAs to catchup with the guys they havent seen during the break nothing more. They barely get any reps. As far as being behind is all rubbish. Most "good teams" make adjustments weekly to keep teams guessing. There is nothing that was introduced in these few OTAs that LL cant catch up on in one day.

Look at other teams in the NFL. Several big name players skip OTA because they are for the rookies.

It's weird...Daniels makes a big deal out of it, Cooley far less so...the coaches always do.

I think the OTAs are definitely beneficial beyond merely catching up with teammates who they haven't seen in awhile.

This on Redskins.com

They called him “Fresh Legs.”

After missing the team’s first seven OTA practices this month, LaRon Landry returned to Redskins Park on Thursday and took part in the team’s final session of the offseason.

He even had an interception during the 90-minute session.

“I just wanted to come back, finish on a good note and get back with my teammates,” Landry said after practice.

OTA practices are voluntary, although players are typically encouraged to attend.

Landry, who was the only healthy player not to be a regular attendee of the sessions, cited “a couple of personal issues” as reasons for his absence.

Landry said he has been working out and training at his home in New Orleans and in Phoenix, Ariz.

“I was staying in shape,” he said. “I came out [Thursday] and realized I have a couple things to catch up on in the playbook. But as far as my ability and endurance, it’s all there.”

Jim Zorn admitted he was surprised to see Landry.

“I was pleasantly surprised and glad that he was able to participate in even one practice,” Zorn said. “I really do think anytime you have everyone here, it’s positive. So I’m pleased.”

Zorn said he was not able to contact Landry the last few weeks because he had a wrong cell phone number.

Said Zorn: “He has been working out and he has gotten himself ready to play. He has done all of his [preparation] away from the team. Being with the team and participating, it would have been better. But he is working his plan.”

Landry was asked if he expected to show up on time for the start of training camp in July.

“Most definitely,” he replied.

This on Redskins.com

They called him “Fresh Legs.”

After missing the team’s first seven OTA practices this month, LaRon Landry returned to Redskins Park on Thursday and took part in the team’s final session of the offseason.

He even had an interception during the 90-minute session.

“I just wanted to come back, finish on a good note and get back with my teammates,” Landry said after practice.

OTA practices are voluntary, although players are typically encouraged to attend.

Landry, who was the only healthy player not to be a regular attendee of the sessions, cited “a couple of personal issues” as reasons for his absence.

Landry said he has been working out and training at his home in New Orleans and in Phoenix, Ariz.

“I was staying in shape,” he said. “I came out [Thursday] and realized I have a couple things to catch up on in the playbook. But as far as my ability and endurance, it’s all there.”

Jim Zorn admitted he was surprised to see Landry.

“I was pleasantly surprised and glad that he was able to participate in even one practice,” Zorn said. “I really do think anytime you have everyone here, it’s positive. So I’m pleased.”

Zorn said he was not able to contact Landry the last few weeks because he had a wrong cell phone number.

Said Zorn: “He has been working out and he has gotten himself ready to play. He has done all of his [preparation] away from the team. Being with the team and participating, it would have been better. But he is working his plan.”

Landry was asked if he expected to show up on time for the start of training camp in July.

“Most definitely,” he replied.

May this article lay everything to rest, and may we all move back to talking about Colt Brennan.

Landry for all we know could have been in the mountains finding himself or in a jungle somewhere feeding off wild animals and running down wild boars.....all in preparation of taking down Jacobs in week 1.....point is he showed up in awesome shape and is ready to rock....thats all we need to know.

Good to have you back Laron

Archived