Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: Deeds Cruises in Va. Govs Race

StillUnknown

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23547.html

State Sen. Creigh Deeds easily claimed the Democratic nomination for governor Tuesday night, beating former Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe and former state Del. Brian Moran in a race that turned out to be less close than expected.

Powered by large margins in his native rural Virginia, the Associated Press called the race with 63 percent of the precincts reporting and Deeds commanding 50 percent of the vote.

After sitting in third place for much of the election, Deeds rode a late surge in the polls into Election Day. The state senator held a double digit lead in the latest polls, and even the McAuliffe and Moran campaigns admitted that Deeds had the momentum.

But as Election Day neared, neither pollsters nor the campaigns had a strong handle on what turnout would look like heading into Election Day.

“This thing was always going to be tight,” Moran strategist Steve Jarding said Tuesday. “We never believed any of the public polls. They were silly and I wish none of you guys would have reported on them.”

In competing conference calls Tuesday, each of the campaigns had a claim to momentum in race, as well as an argument as to why the gloomy weather in Northern Virginia aided their candidate.

McAuliffe’s campaign was arguing as polls closed that they had been able to stop Deeds’ momentum, releasing an internal poll of only 200 likely Democratic voters showing the former DNC chair tied with Deeds at 33 percent and Moran trailing in third with 21 percent.

But Deeds strategist Joe Abbey shrugged at the McAuliffe camps claim of momentum, mocking the polls sample size and claiming that all indicators pointed toward the state senate.

Possibly as a result of the uncertainty, each of the campaigns developed their own distinctive strategies and stuck to their plans despite swings in the polls.

I'm pretty happy about this. I didn't like that the other two were northern VA guys, not "real VA." I've met Deeds twice in person, and he seems like a pretty good guy. He definitely fits the Mark Warner mold much better than Moran or McAuliffe would have, and he gives the Democrats (imo) the best chance of winning in November.

Should be an interesting rematch between Deeds and McDonnell (who defeated Deeds in the 2005 AG race by around 300 votes).

Eff nova, only thing it's good for is milking tax revenue for the rest of the state :evilg: :silly:
The rest of the state (except Richmond and maybe the college cities, and Hampton Roads?) would be screwed if NOVA left :D

Besides, :slap: you go to college in NOVA.

I'm pretty happy about this. I didn't like that the other two were northern VA guys, not "real VA." I've met Deeds twice in person, and he seems like a pretty good guy. He definitely fits the Mark Warner mold much better than Moran or McAuliffe would have, and he gives the Democrats (imo) the best chance of winning in November.

Should be an interesting rematch between Deeds and McDonnell (who defeated Deeds in the 2005 AG race by around 300 votes).

McAuliffe wasn't a NOVA guy. He was a Clinton guy.

Don't be so sure. 323 votes last time, and 05 was a much better political climate for the GOP than 09. :2cents:

Actually I beg to differ because the democrats won the governor's house that same year and I don't doubt the reason that race was so close was because of VA's moving more liberal. In the following year the democrats won a majority of the House and Senate seats for the first time since 94' (including Webb over Allen).

Right now is a much better political climate for the GOP than 05'. Northern Virginia is not the only important political region in VA. Southern areas which consistently poll conservative I think will continue to gain strength and NoVa voters do not want us to turn into the People's Republic of Virginia like Washington has.

Remember Cuccinelli, who is running as the Republican candidate for AG, has won for the past 7 years in Fairfax county. And he has won despite this area turning increasingly liberal and Cuccinelli defending his conservative principles. I think this along with McDonnell and Bolling's experience these are some of the strongest Republican candidates VA has seen in years.

I never understood why McAuliffe got into this race. Never thought he would win the primary and if he did he couldn't win a general. He just seemed like a clown. You woldn't need to waste money on attack ads, just play clips of him during the Pridential primary. Having the biggest connections and doesn't mean you can actually govern. Should have tried getting elected in another state or maybe start out in the Congress.

Voted for McCaulife today. Oh well :(

I actually like Creigh Deeds, got to meet him at Boys State back in 1999. One of those "he'd be a Republican in many other states" like Warner and Kaine would

I do think McDonell cruises. He has had the ability to sit back for months and fundraise and focus on the general election. Deeds essentially pulled out a bottom of the 9th miracle, considering the polling 10 days ago

Don't be so sure. 323 votes last time, and 05 was a much better political climate for the GOP than 09. :2cents:

Jerry freakin Kilgore, who had about as much charisma as my left thumb, was on the top of the ticket that year with a booming VA economy and a "balanced budget"

GOP turnout was pretty suppressed.

McDonell is fairly polished and being at the top of the ticket, along with a motivated VA base, should be in full control during the fall campaign

I pray for the day when NOVA breaks off and becomes its own state. Real VA. Ugh.

But whatever until then. How did you like the last two Dem governors WE elected? Or our two Dem senators? Or the state going Blue for Obama? Whether we're the "Real Va" or not we run the state now. Get used to it. Can't wait until the "Real Va" guys come up here to Commie Country and kiss our asses.

As far as this goes, thank God McAullife didn't win. I hate him. He's the defintion of a slimey politician. I also wonder what the turnout was. I know when the great Senator Webb won his primary the turnout was 3.5%. Which is ****ing ridiculous. But nobody thought whoever won would have a shot at unseating Allen. Kinda like this...

And yes, Kilgore was the worst candidate I've ever seen in my life. His best was the a combination of Palin and Jindal's worst. It was pretty bad. I worked on the Kaine campaign that year and I couldn't help but laugh when I saw him speak. Easiest job ever.

Jerry freakin Kilgore, who had about as much charisma as my left thumb, was on the top of the ticket that year with a booming VA economy and a "balanced budget"

GOP turnout was pretty suppressed.

McDonell is fairly polished and being at the top of the ticket, along with a motivated VA base, should be in full control during the fall campaign

Good point. I'm by no means expecting Deeds to win easily in November, but I do think he has a good shot at it. It will be another very close race.

Eff nova, only thing it's good for is milking tax revenue for the rest of the state :evilg: :silly:

But you're right about McAullife. Glad he lost.

Stop hatin on Nova, just because it allegedly doesn't bleed Red White and Blue or restrain its spending as much as SOVA doesn't mean it sux.

I also wonder what the turnout was. I know when the great Senator Webb won his primary the turnout was 3.5%. Which is ****ing ridiculous. But nobody thought whoever won would have a shot at unseating Allen. Kinda like this...

I think it was 6%.

I pray for the day when NOVA breaks off and becomes its own state. Real VA. Ugh.

But whatever until then. How did you like the last two Dem governors WE elected? Or our two Dem senators? Or the state going Blue for Obama? Whether we're the "Real Va" or not we run the state now. Get used to it. Can't wait until the "Real Va" guys come up here to Commie Country and kiss our asses..

What is funny in this coming race is McDonell is the NOVA guy (having grown up in Fairfax) and Deeds is from Bath County. But I like Deeds, quite a bit, and in general the VA Dems this decade haven't been nearly bat **** crazy like the Dems in the 1990s (see Don Beyer and Mary Sue Terry). All wisely are pro 2nd amendment and tend not to talk about their stances on abortion. (see how many times the NRA has endorsed Deeds)

On top of that, I worked the Mark Earley campaign in 2001. Awful awful campaign, as evidenced by VA R's picking up a near 2/3 majority in the state house and him losing to Mark Warner in what should have been a slam dunk first post 9/11 Republican victory. You have to give credit to the campaign Warner ran, which really re-defined the Virginia Democrats this decade (" I am a fiscal conservative businessman")

Jerry Kilgore, God bless that guy, but he just was never cut out to be a governor.

Don't diss northern VA. Better than the rest of VA :saber:

:silly:

At least Deeds seems to understand the trans. issue.

And McCauliffe wasn't really a VA guy PERIOD.

ding ding ding. I hate carpet baggers with such a passion. if it were up to me, you'd have to have at least 25 years of consecutive residency in this commonwealth to run for any state-level office.

ding ding ding. I hate carpet baggers with such a passion. if it were up to me, you'd have to have at least 25 years of consecutive residency in this commonwealth to run for any state-level office.

25 consecutive years would be a bit much

What if you go away for the military or college or a graduate degree? You couldn't run for office until your 50s

Archived