Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone heard about this Bryce Harper kid?

Bubble Screen

There's probably a link about him at Sports Illustrated. Anyway, the kid is only 16 and he is supposedly the baseball version of Lebron.

He's hit a 570 foot HR. :yikes:

He hit a 502 foot HR at Tropicana Field. To date, the longest HR ever hit there.

He's been clocked at 96 on the radar, even though he's mainly a catcher.

When he was 12, he played in a tournament and went 12-12 with 11 home runs and a double.

Wow. Just wow.

Hope the kid lives up to all the hype.

Yes! The Nats can score Strassburg in this draft and then Harper when he comes out in that draft....hopefully we continue to suck so we own the first pick every year! :silly:

That would be killer, Strass pitching to Harper for years to come.

One other thing. They said if they kid came out this year he'd probably be the 2nd pick in the draft. Behind only the guy you mentioned, Strasburg. Wow.

One other thing. They said if they kid came out this year he'd probably be the 2nd pick in the draft. Behind only the guy you mentioned, Strasburg. Wow.

Nah man, Harper would be 2010 draft if he gets a high school GED this year so he can go pro. Strasburg is 2009 draft, which is on Tuesday.

If that's what he does, I have no problem with us tanking. :evilg:

The good thing is that it would be this season that determines the draft order, and at this point the Nats look like locks for the #1 overall in 2010. So basically I'm praying that he gets that GED. I don't think that if he holds out until the 2011 draft that we'll get him. No way we can have the worst record 3 years in a row, right?:doh:

Someone said in the other thread in the Washington Baseball forum that he did in fact get his GED. No link, but I'm hoping it's true.

Nope, its not true. In the SI article this week it says his parents hope he can earn his GED this summer and enroll in a junior college this fall, which would expose him to more challenging baseball competition as well as make him eligible for next year's June draft.

Baseball is different than basketball because of the way people mature with respect to their ability to pitch (and the correspondingly hit). The vast majority of highschool pitchers will add a pitch or two that they can throw for a strike consistently before making the pro level. Basketball is different ecause the skill set of a senior in highschool (especially these days) isn't that much different than an NBA player. The NBA player might be more consistent in terms of things like shooting, but in most cases they aren't adding skills.

They've been talking about him on the Dan Patrick show. Dan Patrick wondered if it was a bad thing for a kid to get this much hype at such young an age.

We'll see how he does. He hasn't even played minor league or college ball yet.

Baseball is different than basketball because of the way people mature with respect to their ability to pitch (and the correspondingly hit). The vast majority of highschool pitchers will add a pitch or two that they can throw for a strike consistently before making the pro level. Basketball is different ecause the skill set of a senior in highschool (especially these days) isn't that much different than an NBA player. The NBA player might be more consistent in terms of things like shooting, but in most cases they aren't adding skills.

He's not a pitcher.

Let's wait and see. An aluminum bat has a lot to do with how far you hit a ball. Also, facing high school pitchers? Not even college? Easy, guys. Easy.

Uh, first off he's always faced guys two to three years older than him. As a freshman, is when he hit the 570 foot bomb.

Also, Lebron was only facing high-schoolers too. You can only go by the competition he's playing. No one is saying he's gonna be the greatest ever. But he's already done some remarkable things.

Btw, as far as the aluminum bat quote above. Here's an excerpt from the SI article this week:

Last year Harper played in the Area Code Games in Long Beach, Calif., a showcase otherwise reserved for the best juniors and seniors in high school baseball. During batting practice, swinging a wood bat, he bombed balls over light towers and scoreboards in Blair Field.

Uh, first off he's always faced guys two to three years older than him. As a freshman, is when he hit the 570 foot bomb.

Also, Lebron was only facing high-schoolers too. You can only go by the competition he's playing. No one is saying he's gonna be the greatest ever. But he's already done some remarkable things.

Btw, as far as the aluminum bat quote above. Here's an excerpt from the SI article this week:

Last year Harper played in the Area Code Games in Long Beach, Calif., a showcase otherwise reserved for the best juniors and seniors in high school baseball. During batting practice, swinging a wood bat, he bombed balls over light towers and scoreboards in Blair Field.

As to the bolded part and the whole SI piece in general...it's the whole reason it has people like you talking about him.

I'm sorry. It's just can't stand when people run with these SI stories like it's the know-all-end-all. In a few years when I prove to you that he was over-hyped, hopefully I can come back and quote these pages.

This isn't for you directly. Some people need to stop living off of the "experts" at ESPN and SI and watch and think and make their own decisions about sports for themselves. Obviously, most don't.

As to the bolded part and the whole SI piece in general...it's the whole reason it has people like you talking about him.

I'm sorry. It's just can't stand when people run with these SI stories like it's the know-all-end-all. In a few years when I prove to you that he was over-hyped, hopefully I can come back and quote these pages.

This isn't for you directly. Some people need to stop living off of the "experts" at ESPN and SI and watch and think and make their own decisions about sports for themselves. Obviously, most don't.

What's with the negativity? This isn't ESPN or SI just randomly picking a guy to hype. Did you even read the article? Did you ever play baseball? This guy appears to have amazing talent. This is no different than when Lebron was in high school. Actually, this is the first I've ever heard about the guy. So he isn't getting as much acclaim.

Guys like him don't come along that often. I truly hope he lives up the hype. One other thing I failed to mention is the kid also has a 3.5 GPA. So if this whole baseball thing doesn't work out, he's probably still gonna be successful.

What's with the negativity? This isn't ESPN or SI just randomly picking a guy to hype. Did you even read the article? Did you ever play baseball? This guy appears to have amazing talent. This is no different than when Lebron was in high school. Actually, this is the first I've ever heard about the guy. So he isn't getting as much acclaim.

Guys like him don't come along that often. I truly hope he lives up the hype. One other thing I failed to mention is the kid also has a 3.5 GPA. So if this whole baseball thing doesn't work out, he's probably still gonna be successful.

Waiting...

Archived