Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone heard about this Bryce Harper kid?

Bubble Screen

They've been talking about him on the Dan Patrick show. Dan Patrick wondered if it was a bad thing for a kid to get this much hype at such young an age.

We'll see how he does. He hasn't even played minor league or college ball yet.

I wonder if Dan had these same reservations about Lebron? Needless to say, the hype surrounding Lebron back then was everywhere. Until the latest issue of SI, I had never heard of this Harper kid.

I, for one, would love to see the guy completely skip the minors and jump to the majors. I think that would be awesome. If you're good enough, you're good enough. But we'll see.

I wonder if Dan had these same reservations about Lebron? Needless to say, the hype surrounding Lebron back then was everywhere. Until the latest issue of SI, I had never heard of this Harper kid.

I, for one, would love to see the guy completely skip the minors and jump to the majors. I think that would be awesome. If you're good enough, you're good enough. But we'll see.

It was brought up that there have been other athletes that have been hyped up but have failed.

telfair-736485.jpg

He did real well in Boston. :hysterical:

It was brought up that there have been other athletes that have been hyped up but have failed.

telfair-736485.jpg

He did real well in Boston. :hysterical:

Thank you!

Here we go again....Same old **** dog, just another day.

SI exists because people like the OP live and die with it. They talk with their friends about "all they know" about the next star. It's really pathetic.

Thank you!

Here we go again....Same old **** dog, just another day.

SI exists because people like the OP live and die with it. They talk with their friends about "all they know" about the next star. It's really pathetic.

Yeah Telfair is a good example of a bust. But Lebron is the best example of a guy who does live up to the hype.

CJ, what's with all the anger? I simply posted an article about a kid that has the potential to be great. Never said he was or wasn't. I simply think its a good story. Again, you don't find players that young with that kind of ability. You obviously don't know enough about the game to appreciate the kid's talents. But, whatever.

• 11 months later...

Well I guess it's about time to give up on my O's and jump on the Nats bandwagon...

J/k

:D

I love my O's :( and always will :(

:)

I'm glad to see the Nats starting to get some buzz going. Congrats out to the true fans that have hung on over the past years.

I'm sorry, but until I see evidence of some kind, I'm calling BS on the 570-foot HR, hit by a 13 or 14 year old.

Not that that diminishes anything. It doesn't. But i find that VERY hard to believe.

I'm sorry, but until I see evidence of some kind, I'm calling BS on the 570-foot HR, hit by a 13 or 14 year old.

Not that that diminishes anything. It doesn't. But i find that VERY hard to believe.

With a metal bat? It's not hard to believe.

Baseball scouts grade skill sets on a 20-80 scale...20 being the poorest, 80 being the best. I heard on the radio today (can't remember which show) that scouts across the board unanimously rate him an 80 when it comes to raw power.

It's really unheard of. The kid is what, 17? He's only gonna grow and get bigger and fill out a bit more. He's dominating college ball...granted, he's not facing the cream of the crop D1 pitchers, but he's still way young compared to the competition he's facing and that counts for a lot.

While I'm jealous that my Orioles can't get their **** together and have someone in the minors with sizzle like Strasburg or on the cusp of being able to draft someone like Harper, I'm glad the Nats are going to have these two. Hopefully they don't flame out like Dwight and Darryl...hopefully they give Nats fans something to root about for a long, long time. The potential between the two is incredible.

Baseball scouts grade skill sets on a 20-80 scale...20 being the poorest, 80 being the best. I heard on the radio today (can't remember which show)

Sports Reporters on 980. I think Andy was the one who said it.

Anyway, this month is beyond stressful. Wiz got the #1 pick. Nats got the #1 pick. I wouldn't be shocked if BOTH of them found a way to **** it up.

Here's an article that SI wrote about Drew Henson when he was 18 years old and was supposed to be the next big thing in baseball and/or football:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013468/index.htm

Sure he played minor league ball for the Yankees and played QB for Michigan and had a short career as a backup QB in the NFL but that is hardly impressive given what was expected of his talents as a high schooler.

It's really unheard of. The kid is what, 17? He's only gonna grow and get bigger and fill out a bit more. He's dominating college ball...granted, he's not facing the cream of the crop D1 pitchers, but he's still way young compared to the competition he's facing and that counts for a lot.

A 570 foot HR at 13-14?? No way. Maybe now at 17 but not 13-14. Even if he was 6'2" 200 lbs @ 14 with any metal bat 570' is still out of reach.

BTW here's what happened at the JUCO WS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXccEtfmerE&feature=player_embedded

Yes! The Nats can score Strassburg in this draft and then Harper when he comes out in that draft....hopefully we continue to suck so we own the first pick every year! :silly:

That would be killer, Strass pitching to Harper for years to come.

I just wanted to point out this fairly awesome prediction that just came true.

I've been an O's fan my entire life. But I've been following Bryce Harper for a long time.. and I'm gonna have to be honest.. I'm going to start following the Nationals a bit more now that this kid is in their organization.

And it doesn't hurt the head coach lived 3 doors down from me and hung out with us kids when we were little..

Not quite. I heard they announced that Harper will be playing RF for us. Not catcher.

I read that the nats drafted him as RF, but may keep him as a catcher. Either way, we have both players on the team now, so that's a pretty decent prediction.

I read that the nats drafted him as RF, but may keep him as a catcher. Either way, we have both players on the team now, so that's a pretty decent prediction.

Oh, it was a solid one. And I don't think many of us thought he wouldn't be catcher. So it was as good as almost any.

Archived