Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

csnPhilly: Eagles Hire Ex-Cowboys Defensive Coordinator

tr1

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?Eagles-Hire-Ex-Cowboys-Defensive-Coordin=1&blockID=56459&feedID=717

The Eagles will add former Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart to their coaching staff, a source with the team confirms.

Stewart, who led a defense in Dallas that finished top 10 in league rankings, was fired by the Cowboys following a 44-6 loss to the Eagles last season. The move is expected to become official next week.

Andy Reid has known Stewart since the mid-1980s, when Reid coached Northern Arizona’s offensive line and Stewart played cornerback.

Stewart’s official role as not been announced, though it’s likely he could take over as secondary coach for Sean McDermott, who has assumed Jim Johnson’s responsibilities as defensive coordinator. Johnson has taken an indefinite leave of absence as he undergoes treatment for cancer.

He's coming in to coach the secondary. BTW, the article is a little off making it seem like he was responsible for the 44-6 smashing when Wade took over the defense a few weeks prior.

Whatever, keeping spinning to let yourself sleep at night.

He's coming in to coach the secondary. BTW, the article is a little off making it seem like he was responsible for the 44-6 smashing when Wade took over the defense a few weeks prior.

WB - Just a friendly heads up.

You'll want him gone by midseason.

I don't think any fan of any team gives a damn who their secondary coach is.

I don't think i've ever said during a game, "man, that secondary coach has to go" or anything like that. It's a non issue. But Andy keeps a good group of coaches so he must see something in him.

We actually had quite a lively discussion a couple of years ago in the Stadium along the Steve Jackson (our Safety Coach) must go lines. As I recall it was because the corners and safties were reportedly meeting seperatley and we perceived that was the cause of some blown coverages.

Trust me the first time you see an bomb go for a TD against you and a couple of your DBs pointing to each other and lip read them saying "He was your man" or "I thought we were in zone?" you will start to hear questions asked.

We actually had quite a lively discussion a couple of years ago in the Stadium along the Steve Jackson (our Safety Coach) must go lines. As I recall it was because the corners and safties were reportedly meeting seperatley and we perceived that was the cause of some blown coverages.

Trust me the first time you see an bomb go for a TD against you and a couple of your DBs pointing to each other and lip read them saying "He was your man" or "I thought we were in zone?" you will start to hear questions asked.

Stewart was brought in to help McDermott, because no one knows how he'll do as the DC, and Stewart has experience in that position.

Brian Stewart sucks, so it's an addition I can be behind 100%.

I don't think any fan of any team gives a damn who their secondary coach is.

I don't think i've ever said during a game, "man, that secondary coach has to go" or anything like that. It's a non issue. But Andy keeps a good group of coaches so he must see something in him.

If he has your CB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage while you're trying to get to the QB... you'll change your mind in a hurry.

I guess we'll find out if that was his doing or if it was Wade's idea.

If he has your CB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage while you're trying to get to the QB... you'll change your mind in a hurry.

I guess we'll find out if that was his doing or if it was Wade's idea.

Must be from the Gregg Williams coaching tree. While he had some stellar years as our DC one of the things that bugged me about his Redskins defenses was our CBs giving up 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 6.

Must be from the Gregg Williams coaching tree. While he had some stellar years as our DC one of the things that bugged me about his Redskins defenses was our CBs giving up 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 6.

That's exactly what's been so frustrating for Cowboys fans the past couple of seasons. Only toward the end of the season last season did we see our CB's start to have more freedom to press the WR's more.

At this point, we're not sure if it was Brian Stewart or Wade Phillips that was instructing the CB's to give such a ridiculous cushion.

Part of the problem as well was how poorly our Safety play was... so it kind of forced the coaches to worry more about the deep ball and keep the CB's off the line like that.

Oh, you actually think it is his fault the Cowboys folded against the Eagles.

It was more than Stewart, IMO. A much bigger coach.

Aha. Real funny.

Who in the hell ever said ... "Man, Philly whooped us. I BLAME BRIAN STEWART!!!!!"

No I actually like the move. I wasn't being sarcastic. Stewart is better suited for a role like this then the Defensive coordinator. Now he can focus on one unit.

That's real talk.

Or I could be a homer and say "Oh no. He sucks. Blah blah blah."

I'm not sold on Stewart being a crappy coach. I just think that he was in over his head in Dallas as the D.C. Look at the number of ass-clowns that he had to deal with on a daily basis (Tank, PacMan, T.O., Barbie Doll...). Combine that with the frenzied media coverage that the Cowboys always have, a soft-spoken coach, and zero experience as a D.C. and you have a recipe for disaster.

Give the guy some time and he might turn out to be a good hire for the Eagles.

My biggest concern would be his inability to stay focused when the world is falling apart around him. Anyone remember him sitting on the bench and quitting on his team?

My biggest concern would be his inability to stay focused when the world is falling apart around him. Anyone remember him sitting on the bench and quitting on his team?

IMO it was the other way around. I think the team gave up on Stewart. I remember Terence Newman saying that Offenses knew the basic defense we were running and they knew what was to come.

I think Stewart lost the defense and that is why Wade stepped in.

I remember when the Eagles were the laughing stock of ATN when they signed Marty Morningweg after he was a complete disaster in Detroit. That move has been nothing short of great. I hope this is another situation where someone doesn't have to be the man and can help in regard to overall defensive gameplan and scheme.

I remember when the Eagles were the laughing stock of ATN when they signed Marty Morningweg after he was a complete disaster in Detroit. That move has been nothing short of great. I hope this is another situation where someone doesn't have to be the man and can help in regard to overall defensive gameplan and scheme.

I remember when the Eagles were the laughing stock of ATN when they picked KOLB!

Ha!

KOLB!

Ha!

Still a bad pick.

IMO it was the other way around. I think the team gave up on Stewart. I remember Terence Newman saying that Offenses knew the basic defense we were running and they knew what was to come.

I think Stewart lost the defense and that is why Wade stepped in.

So either:

A. The team gave up on Stewart. Shows he couldn't keep his unit and players in line.

B. Stewart gave up on the team. Nuff said.

Either A or B makes him a lousy couch. :2cents:

Would you say the same about Zorn?

I don't think Zorn gave up on the team or the players gave up on Zorn.

I do think he got overwhelmed in game a bunch of times last year. His rookie year led to a lot of being outcoached, IMO. Not Brian Stewart overwhelmed, though. That game it really did look like Stewart gave up.

I don't think Zorn gave up on the team or the players gave up on Zorn.

I do think he got overwhelmed in game a bunch of times last year. His rookie year led to a lot of being outcoached, IMO. Not Brian Stewart overwhelmed, though. That game it really did look like Stewart gave up.

I'd agree with your second paragraph but not your first. Some of the players seemed to have given up, especially Portis.

Archived