Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Glowing Green Monkeys Illustrate Important but Controversial Advance

Burgold

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/27/AR2009052701798.html?hpid=moreheadlines

By Rob Stein

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Scientists have created the first genetically modified monkeys that can pass their new genetic attributes to their offspring, an advance designed to give researchers new tools for studying human disease but one that raises many thorny ethical questions.

In this case, Japanese researchers added genes that caused the animals to glow green under an ultraviolet light -- and beget offspring with the same spooky trait -- to test a technique they hope to use to produce animals with Parkinson's, Huntington's and other diseases.

The work, described in today's issue of the journal Nature, was hailed by some medical researchers as a long-sought milestone that could lead to crucial insights into many ailments and provide invaluable ways to test new treatments.

But because the work marks the first time members of a species so closely related to humans have had their genetic makeup permanently altered, the research set off alarms that it marked a troubling step toward applying such techniques to people, which would violate a long-standing taboo.

"It would be easy enough for someone to make the leap to trying this on humans," said Lori B. Andrews, who studies reproductive technologies at the Illinois Institute of Technology's Chicago-Kent College of Law. "If you make this kind of change, it's passed on to all future generations. Many people think it's hubris to have people remaking people in this way."

The approach could tempt some to use the technique to try to engineer desirable traits in people, creating a society of genetic haves and have-nots, Andrews said. Others worried that the work could have additional disturbing implications, such as potentially blurring the line between species.

-----------------------------

I think this is interesting stuff all the way around... from its medical applications, to genetics wizardry, to the ethics issues, and eugenic worries.

I think this is interesting stuff all the way around... from its medical applications, to genetics wizardry, to the ethics issues, and eugenic worries.

Interesting ,yes

I believe it will be our Pandora's box in the long term.:paranoid:

I think you're probably right and I dislike it. Once we can... it usually isn't too long before we do. I dislike the idea of designer babies. Although, the elimination of some heredityary diseases is certainly a worthy goal, but I see other applications making some very unfortunate science fiction come to life.

(Or on a humorous note) This is just how the Planet of the Apes started. First, you inject human genes into the cute monkeys, then they take over and we're all slaves until Charles Heston comes around, but then he goes all monkey mad about guns and needing to protect himself, presides over the NRA to protect us from those DAMN APES. It's a bad scene, man.

There's a part of me that also feels very badly for the monkeys. Bred to be diseased and miserable for our advantage. I understand it and appreciate it, but I still have empathy for the little critters.

Edit: I agree with Thiebear's assessment. Instead of using innocent critters, we ought to be pumping prisoners on death row or with multiple life sentences full of diseases to figure out how to deal with them best. Make murderers, terrorists and rapists contribute to society.

So all inmates with life sentence get this to start? Make it easier for Pliskin.

Far as I'm aware, the only way a life form can have it's genes engineered is before fertilization, or immediately afterward (before the fertilized egg's first cell division.)

So no, we won't be seeing glowing green Philly fans.

But we could, in theory, see China, 20-30 years from now, sprouting a generation of Yao Mings.

What is the ethics issue? They are just animals, we are humans. There can't be life without us.

There can't be life without us? You don't think life exists without human beings?

Amongst the ethical questions are these: Monkey are genetically similar to humans. We already bioengineer lots o animals, but this brings us another step towards creating babies to specifications. Should we allow parents to order up eye color, height, IQ, should we create mathematical disposition or make them more right brain dominant? Should we genetically eliminate the defective gene that make some people into Cowboy's fans? Do we have the right to play God with our genes?

Why aren't there more glowing pets? GloFish are cool and all but I want my dog to shine.

As to the original story it makes me wonder how people are going to look in the future. There are people trying to mimic animals with full body tattoos and body modification. Eventually they can just go to a genetics lab and get it done. It's going to be crazy years from now. Of course I'll be dead before people are getting designer tails.

Archived