Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: North Korea Threatens Attack on South

SkinsHokieFan

Well so much for ignoring the NKs. Looks like Joe Biden was correct back in August

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/27/AR2009052701060.html?hpid=topnews

North Korea Threatens Attack on South

By Blaine Harden

Washington Post Foreign Service

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:58 AM

TOKYO, May 27 -- North Korea vowed Wednesday to attack South Korea if its ships are searched as part a U.S.-led effort to interdict vessels carrying missiles or weapons of mass destruction. It also declared that the truce that ended the Korean War was no longer valid.

"Those who provoke [North Korea] once will not be able to escape its unimaginable and merciless punishment," the North's official news agency said.

The threat -- unusually broad and bellicose, even by North Korean standards -- came three days after the reclusive communist state was condemned by the international community, including longtime allies China and Russia, for testing a second nuclear device in violation of U.N. resolutions. Since Monday, the North has also launched five short-range missiles into the sea off its eastern coast.

The nuclear test pushed South Korea on Tuesday to join the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI), which was created in 2003 by President George W. Bush and includes more than 90 countries that have agreed to stop and inspect suspicious cargo ships.

For months North Korea, which is widely suspected of violating U.N. resolutions by shipping missiles to customers in East Asia and the Middle East, has said it would regard the South's membership in the anti-proliferation program as an "act of war."

As threatened, the government of Kim Jong Il rolled out a multi-pronged counter-attack in response to South Korea's decision. So far, it remains rhetorical.

North Korea said it could no longer guarantee the safety of ships from South Korea and other countries sailing in the Yellow Sea off its western border.

It added that it would not honor a North-South border in that sea, which was drawn up at the end of the Korean War in 1953. The North also said it would not respect the legal status of five islands on the South's side of the line.

Two naval clashes occurred in that area of the Yellow Sea in 1999 and 2002, resulting in the deaths of six sailors from South Korea and more than 30 from North Korea. In those skirmishes, North Korea was badly outgunned by the South's more modern weapons.

The armistice that ended the Korean War bans a naval blockade, and North Korea claimed Wednesday that the South had nullified the agreement by joining the anti-proliferation effort.

Since "the U.S. imperialists and the [south Korean President] Lee Myung-bak group of traitors have reneged" on the armistice, North Korea said, it is no longer obligated to obey international law or abide by bilateral agreements.

In Seoul, Lee publicly called for "calm" and told his advisors to "respond with cool-headedness." Japanese officials issued a similar call for restraint.

Government officials in Seoul said that North Korean ships will continue to be allowed safe passage in South Korean waters, according to Yonhap, the South Korean news agency. Only ships suspected of carrying weapons of mass destruction would be inspected, they said.

South Korea, though, has stepped up its surveillance over North Korea and increased its military readiness, according to a statement issued Wednesday night by the Ministry of Defense.

The statement said that joint forces of the United States and South Korea "will restrain additional North Korean provocation and manage the current situation towards stability, yet respond firmly to North Korea's possible military provocation."

There are about 28,500 U.S. troops in South Korea.

Lee also spoke on the phone with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, urging him to push the U.N. Security Council to pass "a swift and strong resolution" against the North, a presidential spokesman said.

The former Soviet Union was for decades the principal economic patron of North Korea. In a telling measure of the North's increasingly diplomatic isolation, Medvedev agreed with Lee that Pyongyang had violated international law with its nuclear test. Medvedev pledged to take an "active part" in formulating a new U.N. resolution," according to the Russian government's Web site.

North Korea's closest ally, China, has also been notably critical of the nuclear test this week.

Analysts in Seoul regarded North Korea's warnings as serious, but doubted the willingness of Kim Jong Il to provoke a large-scale confrontation.

"The problem is that both sides cannot afford to make a concession," said Dong Yong-seun, a senior fellow at the North Korean division of Samsung Research. "It is like a game of chicken."

Andrei Lankov, author of several books about North Korea and a professor at Kookmin University in Seoul, said "small-scale shooting is possible and even probable, but nothing more serious than that."

"The location of mansions where Pyongyang's leaders enjoy their Hennessy cognac is well-known to the American military, and North Koreans know the precision of U.S. cruise missiles," Lankov said. "The North will steer clear of any action which might lead to a real confrontation."

Why are they doing all of this now?

It had been a while since their last broad threat was issued. But yeah, I imagine this round of saber-rattling is related to the nuke test.

Sadly, now they have to be treated like a fully nuclear-capable adversary -- even if their prospects for successful delivery of those weapons are spotty (for now).

Big news.

Why are they doing all of this now? Embolden by the successful nuke test?

Testing Obama.

So far he hasa failing grade. The chinese tested him....No response. The Russians have tested him....no response. Iran has tested him.....no response. North Korea launched missiles and detonated a nuke....no response.

So far the message Obama is sending is he is not willing to do anything. North Korea may feel that they can over run the south right now and win it because even if Obama responds it will be to late.

This is what happens when you have a weak president.

Testing Obama.

So far he hasa failing grade. The chinese tested him....No response. The Russians have tested him....no response. Iran has tested him.....no response. North Korea launched missiles and detonated a nuke....no response.

So far the message Obama is sending is he is not willing to do anything. North Korea may feel that they can over run the south right now and win it because even if Obama responds it will be to late.

So what exactly should Obama's response been to each of these "tests"?

It had been a while since their last broad threat was issued. But yeah, I imagine this round of saber-rattling is related to the nuke test.

Sadly, now they have to be treated like a fully nuclear-capable adversary -- even if their prospects for successful delivery of those weapons are spotty (for now).

I agree with you that this is Saber-Rattling...and that their prospects for a successful delivery is spotty...however all it takes is one nuke...just one of them to be delivered successfully and then...well let's just say who our starting QB is this season suddenly becomes a non-issue.

Testing Obama.

and are posts like this what happen when you have a weak intellect...?

(see... it is easy to drop broad meaningless carpetbombs, without actually saying anything.)

Big news.

Why are they doing all of this now? Embolden by the successful nuke test?

I think N. Korea's actions have more to do with the Iranian long range missle test last week. It seems like anytime anybody acts up N. Korea tries to top them, to remain front and center as the #1 problem nation in the world. N. Korea is looking for a big payday, and being the biggest pain in the butt is their marketing campaign for continued western assistance on a massive scale.

To my mind, does it make us more secure or less secure to reward bad behavior?

I agree with you that this is Saber-Rattling...and that their prospects for a successful delivery is spotty...however all it takes is one nuke...just one of them to be delivered successfully and then...well let's just say who our starting QB is this season suddenly becomes a non-issue.

eh, i'll still care who the qb will be

And how did the last President handle NK

???

I'm just trying to figure out what he's talking about. To me, Iran, Russia, and China haven't done much in the last couple of months to require a response.

But I'll answer your question, very poorly.

Nobody asked, but I'll tell you how to handle the situation.

The best way to handel N. Korea is to create a situation where it is actually in S. Korea's best interest for N. Korea to fail.

S. Korea is worried about what a N. Korea on the brink of failure will do, AND worried about what they are going to do with all of the largely uneducated, untrained, and poor refugees that will come south AFTER N. Korea fails as a result they are supporting N. Korea to keep it from failing (along with us and some other countries).

If it is actually in S. Korea's interest (N. Korea has limited choices while failing and the refugee situation won't be overwhelming), then N. Korea will be encouraged to fail and will do so.

I think you are confusing Obama with the previous guy.

The chinese tested him....

The Chinese trade imbalance expanded exponentially under Bush, and he did nothing. I don't know of a current issue with the Chinese, with regards to Obama.

The Russians have tested him....no response.

Russia invaded Georgia under Bush, not Obama.

Iran has tested him.....no response.

Yeah Bush had things well in hand wiht Iran and Obama has goofed them up. Bush didn't even have diplomatic contact with Iran for the first six years of his presidency. He ignored them. How did that work out?

North Korea launched missiles and detonated a nuke....no response.

North Korea developed nuclear weapons under Bush, specifically because of Bush too. Cause Bush backed out of a treaty which the Clinton administration had negotiated and then re-entered that same treaty after N. Korea had developed nuclear weapons and sold their technology to the Iranians, Libyians, and likely the Syrians.

Yeah N Korea is empowered cause they know our army is engaged in a war of choice in Iraq. the one country in the middle east who didn't actually have an active nuclear weapons program. Who's fault is that again?

Yeah it's Obama's first 100 days that's the problem... Not the previous eight years. :silly:

I agree with you that this is Saber-Rattling...and that their prospects for a successful delivery is spotty...however all it takes is one nuke...

True. Of course, North Korea realizes that every one of their population centers will be reduced to a shiny glass parking lot within 20 minutes if they decide to take that route.

If only someone could have paved the way for our current, apparently "weak" president. Some ...previous president. One who was in office as North Korea developed truly workable nuclear technology and thumbed their nose at the international community time and again.

Well, whoever that guy was, he's not president anymore. And since some folks think looking back at history is a complete waste of time, we probably just shouldn't do it at all. I mean, we could hurt our necks with all that twisting! And for what? Some stupid knowledge? Pffssssshhhh.

Nobody asked, but I'll tell you how to handle the situation.

The best way to handel N. Korea is to create a situation where it is actually in S. Korea's best interest for N. Korea to fail.

S. Korea is worried about what a N. Korea on the brink of failure will do, AND worried about what they are going to do with all of the largely uneducated, untrained, and poor refugees that will come south AFTER N. Korea fails as a result they are supporting N. Korea to keep it from failing (along with us and some other countries).

If it is actually in S. Korea's interest (N. Korea has limited choices while failing and the refugee situation won't be overwhelming), then N. Korea will be encouraged to fail and will do so.

Problem is North Korea has a humongous army, and they really have the ability to take South Korea with them if they go nuts. I read somewhere that North Korea has tens of thousands of artillary tubs within shelling range of Soul, South Korea's capital.. and now they have a Nuclear weapon...

It's hard for South Korea, Japan, or Taiwan to really feel very secure with N. Korea .........bluster. It's expediant for them to placate N. Korea with aid, even if it's seems to be against their long term interest.

True. Of course, North Korea realizes that every one of their population centers will be reduced to a shiny glass parking lot within 20 minutes if they decide to take that route.

If only someone could have paved the way for our current, apparently "weak" president. Some ...previous president. One who was in office as North Korea developed truly workable nuclear technology and thumbed their nose at the international community time and again.

Well, whoever that guy was, he's not president anymore. And since some folks think looking back at history is a complete waste of time, we probably just shouldn't do it at all. I mean, we could hurt our necks with all that twisting! And for what? Some stupid knowledge? Pffssssshhhh.

I agree with you all the way...no argument from me on any front.

The one thing that concerns me...is when you deal with someone like Kim-Jung-IL do you think he really cares what happens to the population centers? All he knows is that he will be the kid on the block with the biggest baddest toy and....everyone else be damned he is going to use it because he can.

Archived