Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumsfeld's Christian War

Hooper

Wow, that's something. Not a good idea to combine the Bible and War Machine.

Every single war the United States has ever been in during its history has combined the Bible/God and war, though. This is hardly anything new. Actually, I would suspect that the overwhelming majority of countries have combined prayers to God and passages from different Bibles with their war efforts throughout history.

Believe me, I know what the crusades were. I'm in no way saying this was the reason we went to war.

However, some of it is a bit similar. Christian warriors against the Muslim infidels. Rumsfeld went a little over the top here.

Ah, ok...sorry, it's just that I tend to see people on message boards seriously compare trivial annoyances or bad judgement to things like Hitler, genocide, etc, etc...I once saw someone describe waiting in line for a concert to those victims waiting in line to be put to death in concentration camps lol :doh:...

And yeah, Rumsfeld was at best being "tacky" with how he used the Biblical quotes for inspiration...but using Biblical quotes themselves as inspiration during wartime is amazingly common.

Every single war the United States has ever been in during its history has combined the Bible/God and war, though. This is hardly anything new. Actually, I would suspect that the overwhelming majority of countries have combined prayers to God and passages from different Bibles with their war efforts throughout history.

I'm a head banger, and a Christian. I know, odd combination, but I adhere to my heart not what people tell me I should believe.

With that said, my problem with these ads, is that it implys every American Soldier was a Christian, and just fueled the idea that the war was America against Islam.

I'm a head banger, and a Christian. I know, odd combination, but I adhere to my heart not what people tell me I should believe.

With that said, my problem with these ads, is that it implys every American Soldier was a Christian, and just fueled the idea that the war was America against Islam.

They weren't ads, though...they were more like cover sheets to top level secret gubmint war briefings. Very few people saw these things. Rummy was fashioning himself a graphic designer lol...

They weren't ads, though...they were more like cover sheets to top level secret gubmint war briefings. Very few people saw these things. Rummy was fashioning himself a graphic designer lol...

Yeah, I understand what they were, and only a few people saw them. I'm just uncomfortable with the combination of the two. I'm fine with the idea of America eliminating an Evil threat, but they weren't evil because they weren't Christians. They were evil because they wanted to kill our people.

I guess what I'm saying, is I don't believe the Bible should have been referenced in this manner.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Rumsfeld truly was a piece of work.

Yeah, I understand what they were, and only a few people saw them. I'm just uncomfortable with the combination of the two. I'm fine with the idea of America eliminating an Evil threat, but they weren't evil because they weren't Christians. They were evil because they wanted to kill our people.

I guess what I'm saying, is I don't believe the Bible should have been referenced in this manner.

There was nothing in those quotes, though, that talked about the enemy being evil because they were not Christians. Most of the quotes basically talked about drawing strength and courage from God.

Again, since these were not government-authorized posters being put up in large cities in order to drive home propaganda, I'm not at all bothered by it. The few men who saw these cover sheets were probably already drawing on the Bible and other spiritual aspects for inner strength. Whether they did it verbally or on paper matters little to me, I guess.

There was nothing in those quotes, though, that talked about the enemy being evil because they were not Christians. Most of the quotes basically talked about drawing strength and courage from God.

Again, since these were not government-authorized posters being put up in large cities in order to drive home propaganda, I'm not at all bothered by it. The few men who saw these cover sheets were probably already drawing on the Bible and other spiritual aspects for inner strength. Whether they did it verbally or on paper matters little to me, I guess.

Fair enough

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Rumsfeld truly was a piece of work.

"Work?" I have a different four-letter word in mind. :)

Regarding the notion of a "crusade," it was Bush himself whose words, incredibly poorly chosen just one week after 9/11, accidentally first invoked it:

This crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take awhile.

Oops.

Given that these covers were only seen by a few people, my problem with them is that it looks as though much more time and money was spent producing them than was absolutely necessary.

I wish Rumsfeld had spent the time getting the opinions of his generals and the money getting additional body armor for his troops.

I know Ill get flamed for this BUT....I tire of hearing American complain about the use of the Bible in anything. This nation was built on Christian principals... If you think it was built on Jewish/or Islamic/or Buddhist principals you are wrong....This is simply our government operating how it always has. This country was intended to give people religious freedoms yes, but it was built a Christian nation... Seriously If you want to be any other religion you can do that here go ahead fold a piece of paper into a cool shape and worship that You are allowed to do that here its totally cool with me, you worhip what you want and I will worship what I want it doesn't make either of us wrong it also doesn't change the fact that the US was founded on those same Biblical principals found on those images...

I know Ill get flamed for this BUT....I tire of hearing American complain about the use of the Bible in anything. This nation was built on Christian principals... If you think it was built on Jewish/or Islamic/or Buddhist principals you are wrong....This is simply our government operating how it always has. This country was intended to give people religious freedoms yes, but it was built a Christian nation... Seriously If you want to be any other religion you can do that here go ahead fold a piece of paper into a cool shape and worship that You are allowed to do that here its totally cool with me, you worhip what you want and I will worship what I want it doesn't make either of us wrong it also doesn't change the fact that the US was founded on those same Biblical principals found on those images...

No, it wasn't.

I'm surprised that GQ is allowed to post these images in their entirety without blacking out some of it...

Anyway, using allusions in war time propaganda isn't unique to Rumsfeld... or in political speeches by Obama and Al Gore...

Has there ever been a war in History where God wasn't on both sides?

Archived