Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Team Rankings

darklight1216

12-4, first in AFC North, won Super Bowl XLIII

steelers_logo.jpg The Super Bowl champions get Rashard Mendenhall back. Ben Roethlisberger is now a two-time Super Bowl winner. The Steelers also continue to build their roster depth by training their own young players. It will be hard to hold the top spot with Tom Brady back on the field in New England, but this Steelers franchise does not let success go to its head.

11-5, second in AFC East

patriots_logo.jpg Brady is back, and there were key additions in free agency that include Fred Taylor, Shawn Springs and a number of other veterans who will add depth. If the Patriots had secured a veteran outside linebacker, they would have been considered for the top spot.

9-6-1, second in NFC East, lost in NFC Championship

eagles_logo.jpg The offseason put two new offensive tackles on the roster, and insured the pass protection and run blocking will be excellent. Donovan McNabb has plenty of targets to throw to and finally there is a quality running back in LeSean McCoy to back up Brian Westbrook. Despite playing in a tough division, the Eagles appear poised for a run at Super Bowl XLIV.

12-4, first in NFC East, lost in divisional playoffs

giants_logo.jpg The loss of defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo may be harder to overcome than the loss of Plaxico Burress. Still, the Giants have the quarterback, offensive line and pass rush to warrant a top-five spot.

9-7, third in NFC East

cowboys_logo.jpg The Cowboys let Terrell Owens go, and many think it will help in the long run. Roy Williams has to regain his form from a few years ago in Detroit, and Tony Romo sits to pee has to take the next step in his development. For the first time in years, this team flew under the radar all offseason. Expectations are lower than usual, which should help the team perform better. The division is brutal, and they need to start fast or the panic button will go off quickly.

8-8, third in AFC South

texans_logo.jpg The Texans are a hot team in the minds of many, but the division is brutal. The Texans still need to figure out how to beat Peyton Manning. There should be an improved defense with Antonio Smith and rookies Brian Cushing and Connor Barwin, but the secondary remains a question mark.

8-8, fourth in NFC East

redskins_logo.jpg The offseason rumors about replacing quarterback Jason Campbell had to affect his confidence. He's a developing player and should be good enough to win games. The defense improved with Albert Haynesworth and first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo, but the Redskins suffer from the same issues the Texans deal with ... a brutal division.

Read the full article here:http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

What do you guys think about where they put your teams?

You know, I think this might be a good thread to post one list of rankings from before the 2008 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?week=0&season=2008

1. Pats

2. Colts

3. Chargers

4. Cowboys

5. Jags

6. Giants

7. Steelers

8. Packers

9. Seahawks

10. Browns

11. Vikings

12. Saints

13. Eagles

14. Titans

15. Bucs

16. Redskins

17. Cards

18. Bills

19. Texans

20. Panthers

21. Ravens

22. Broncos

23. Jets

24. Bengals

25. Bears

26. Rams

27. Raiders

28. 49ers

29. Lions

30. Chiefs

31. Dolphins

32. Falcons

If someone wants to break that down any further, be my guest, but I think the inaccuracies speak for themselves. Injuries and all that aside, the guys who make these lists usually are just pulling it all out of their butt, and I haven't seen any of these turn out to be that accurate, much like mock drafts. Mocks and rankings might be fun to read once in a while, but they really mean nothing and could end up getting flipped around completely.

^^ Just saw where they had the Cards rated at #17. The Panthers at 20. Ravens at 21. Dolphins at 31. Yeah, that is EXACTLY why these polls mean absolutely SQUAT.

Yeah, and on the other hand, they had the Jags, Seahawks and Browns in the top 10.

If you go through week by week, it takes a while for them to see how things are shaping up. These guys just hop on and off all the bandwagons and provide nothing of value for us. Every year there are surprises, injuries and disappointments which nobody can predict. That goes for these team rankings, analyzing draft picks and classes, and making claims on how players and coaches will perform. The most sensible thing is to remain agnostic (but hopeful, at least for the Skins) and ignore the media chatter.

When the Patriots add THIRTY PLUS Year olds, they are adding valuable experience and veterans.

When the Redskins add a veteran over 30 the Skins are just bringing in tired old men in desperation.

In fact, Shawn Springs never got such glowing reports while with the Skins. Now he is an all pro in everybody's eyes. Fred Taylor could never stay healthy with the Jags, but now, he is going to run for 1800 yards since he is with the Patriots.

I guess winning cures a lot of ills and prejudices. So lets play ball

You know, I think this might be a good thread to post one list of rankings from before the 2008 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?week=0&season=2008

1. Pats

2. Colts

3. Chargers

4. Cowboys

5. Jags

6. Giants

7. Steelers

8. Packers

9. Seahawks

10. Browns

11. Vikings

12. Saints

13. Eagles

14. Titans

15. Bucs

16. Redskins

17. Cards

18. Bills

19. Texans

20. Panthers

21. Ravens

22. Broncos

23. Jets

24. Bengals

25. Bears

26. Rams

27. Raiders

28. 49ers

29. Lions

30. Chiefs

31. Dolphins

32. Falcons

If someone wants to break that down any further, be my guest, but I think the inaccuracies speak for themselves. Injuries and all that aside, the guys who make these lists usually are just pulling it all out of their butt, and I haven't seen any of these turn out to be that accurate, much like mock drafts. Mocks and rankings might be fun to read once in a while, but they really mean nothing and could end up getting flipped around completely.

That's last year's power rankings (2008), not this year's lol.

^^ Just saw where they had the Cards rated at #17. The Panthers at 20. Ravens at 21. Dolphins at 31. Yeah, that is EXACTLY why these polls mean absolutely SQUAT.

Again, that's because this list was done last year ("2008 Training Camp edition"). I doubt too many people here questioned the Cards being ranked at #17 or the Ravens at #21 at this time last season lol :)...

This is where I think we need to be. Underdog status seems to bring out the best in this team. We have most of the same key components as last year, and add the best DT in the league, plus another year of experience in the same offense. We have the second easiest schedule in the league.

All I can hope is that our division rivals underestimate us like most analysts seem to.

Is it just me or have the saints been over-rated every year since they made the playoffs? We will beat them AGAIN this year and yet they start the year ranked that high. Heck, based on that list the saints should be ranked 22nd or 23rd, every team over that is better than them. I also doubt the falcons are going to be the 7th best team, panthers should win that division. And San Diego should probably be ranked higher than 8th.

Again, that's because this list was done last year ("2008 Training Camp edition"). I doubt too many people here questioned the Cards being ranked at #17 or the Ravens at #21 at this time last season lol :)...

I agree. You can't knock on anyone too much for expecting a 5-11 bottom of the division team to not do well in the upcoming year. In my opininon the Cardinals not only deserved, but very nearly (excluding playoffs) earned their #17 slot; they only had 9 wins, barely a winning season. And when you win one game in a year, you've got to expect your team to be ranked low (Dolphins, 31).

It still BAFFLES me that when people are ranking how good teams are why being in a brutal division means anything at all? If the best 4 teams in the nfl are all in the same division....then they should still be 1,2,3,4......isnt that what a power ranking is? If you were ranking what there record would be....that would be a different story...

It still BAFFLES me that when people are ranking how good teams are why being in a brutal division means anything at all? If the best 4 teams in the nfl are all in the same division....then they should still be 1,2,3,4......isnt that what a power ranking is? If you were ranking what there record would be....that would be a different story...

lol I see what you are saying. But they are thinking too much. They think that if you play in a tough division that you will get beaten up by the teams ahead of you.

It is May, I don't even care about PR until after training camp.

I think these rankings are pants. Who would have thought that the ravens and falcons would have had the year they did and for the Cardinals to reach the superbowl. Thats what I love about the NFL. You can never predict how things are going to pan out. All I can say is that we will prove these idiots wrong. I have great faith in our team this year.

"MON THE SKINS"

Archived