Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN (John Clayton)- Skins Among Eight Teams Set to Surprise

SkinsTribeVA

What?? I didn't think the Media was allowed to say anything that wasn't negative towards the Skins....

John Clayton doesn't follow the pack.....he's fair, honest, and calls it like he sees it. Hey, the guy may look like a total nerd, but Clayton has always impressed me with his very informative "Inside the Huddle" reports......

John Clayton doesn't follow the pack.....he's fair, honest, and calls it like he sees it. Hey, the guy may look like a total nerd, but Clayton has always impressed me with his very informative "Inside the Huddle" reports......

Interpretation:

"John Clayton is fair, honest, and calls it like he sees it"(AS LONG AS HE SAYS GOOD THINGS ABOUT MY SKINS):hysterical:

The opening part of the schedule looks similar to the 2007 slate, where we played weaker teams like the Dolphins, Lions, and Cards, getting off to the 4-2 start (with the losses to NYG and GB that we kicked away) before a midseason swoon did us in. And we got off to the fast start last year with a tougher schedule. With us playing teams like the Rams, Lions, and Chiefs (did all of them combine for what, 4 wins last season?) in the first 6, no reason why we can't get off quickly again.

Well if we do get off to a quick start again this year, the media will probably show us a little love but I guarantee it won't be anything like when we were 4-2 last season--they'll all be saying "but remember what happened last year..." and I think that's a good thing. While I don't believe overconfidence played any significant role in the team's decline, NOT getting love after a fast start could serve to keep a chip on our shoulder and keep the fire lit under our butts. Just a thought.

Clayton seems to have a better pulse on NFL teams, much moreso than any other sports journalists IMO ... and that's not because he think we will surprise folks. He is a straight shooter, and if you can get past the goofiness of his appearance, you will see that he always provides accurate info with his analysis. he's one of the few that i actually thinks checks his facts before he reports anything.

I agree. Clayton has been one of my favorites for a long time for that very reason. Him and Peter Gammons on baseball.

Clayton is the Great Cuzoo from the Flintstones with spittle in the corners of his mouth thus "Spittle Boy" to me and mine.....good for him picking us.
I dont know...He always reminded me of Stewie from family guy.

Both wrong! He is a ringer for Mr. Mackey, mmmkay?

john_clayton.jpgmackey.png

Interpretation:

"John Clayton is fair, honest, and calls it like he sees it"(AS LONG AS HE SAYS GOOD THINGS ABOUT MY SKINS):hysterical:

Personally, this is the one time I'd say this doesn't apply. I like when people say good things about the skins, but I think Clayton is one of the best (maybe the best) at telling it the way he sees it and knows what he is talking about. The 'human fetus' is the man and earned his HOF membership.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2958691

I can't be the overly optimistic fan again. I don't see how we really fixed our most glaring problems. Hopefully, I'll be happy when I'm wrong, but until then I won't believe it.

Newsflash, every team has 'glaring problems'. The notion that any NFL team enters the season as a whole, complete unit without questionable players in key positions is a falsehood. Drafting a tackle would leave us with a 'glaring problem' of the lack of a pass rush.

Every team that improves from year to year does so because players continue to develop, some take quantum leaps and a good bit of luck and fortune fall their way. If we're successful this season it will be because we stay healthy, Campbell and the young receivers develop consistency, Zorn improves as a play caller and Orapko provides the pass rush we've lacked for 20 years. It's that simple.

On paper we have made some improvements to our D, which should make it more dominant and able to force turnovers, and the O with some o-line moves

It really is on how JC progresses in the offense and if the WRs are able to step up.

On paper, we've gotten at least a little better everywhere except the running and kicking game. We should do atleast as well as last year and we have an easier schedule. Although the NFC south is always feisty.

John Clayton is pretty good, I like it when the professor says good things about us. More so than Peter King atleast--he may be the biggest insider of them all but he makes a lot of crappy predictions.

Archived