Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Daniels OK being backup (M.E.T.)

rocskins

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/29/daniels-ok-being-backup/

Dan Snyder was just another wealthy Washington Redskins fan and Barack Obama was a freshman state senator in Illinois when Phillip Daniels last came off the bench in an NFL game. That was in December 1997.

So it would be natural for the veteran defensive end to be upset that the Redskins likely made him a backup by drafting Brian Orakpo, the nation's top defensive lineman, with the 13th pick in last weekend's NFL Draft.

On the contrary. Daniels, who turned 36 last month before re-signing with Washington, encouraged the Redskins to choose Orakpo, and he phoned the former Texas All-American not long after they became teammates Saturday.

*Click link for rest of story*

What a great resigning and a definition of a TEAM PLAYER

Cue the "well, he better be. He's old, injury prone, and can't rush the passer so he should shut his mouth!" crap spewed by the big men behind their keyboards, lol.

I agree though. Daniels is going to help Orakpo reach his potential far more quickly than he would if Daniels wasn't here. Orakpo should watch and learn very carefully. He's got some knowledge to gain from some great sources here.

A real class act, and a great addition for the locker room. He could have a real impact on Orakpo's career with his transition to the NFL and his new found checkbook. Daniels is all about winning, not being "the man"--somewhat of a dying breed.

I don't think he'll be the backup. My bet is he'll start and play on 1st and 2nd down.

The DE spot will be a rotation between Carter, Daniels, Wynn and Orkapo.

Carter will likely see most of the action and the other three will rotate. I think Blache will have packages where they have Orkapo, carter, griff, wilson, and Haynesworth all rushing the QB.

I'm personally really happy we brought back Philip and Reynaldo. Both are classy veterans who have been in the league for a long time, and can add a good amount of leadership to our lockerroom. With the two of them mentoring our young DEs in Orakpo, Wilson, and Jackson, I feel pretty confident in this group of DEs. :)

Cue the "well, he better be. He's old, injury prone, and can't rush the passer so he should shut his mouth!" crap spewed by the big men behind their keyboards, lol.

I agree though. Daniels is going to help Orakpo reach his potential far more quickly than he would if Daniels wasn't here. Orakpo should watch and learn very carefully. He's got some knowledge to gain from some great sources here.

The strength and lifting programs Daniels does will certainly be a help. Orakpo said he wants to improve at stopping the run, so Daniels would be a damn good player to talk to IMO.

Daniels is a guy you love having on your team. You know what he gives you. He's strong as an ox, will stop the run, and will be great in the lockerroom/on the practice field. If I was him, I wouldnt be worried about being a "backup" either. I'm sure he will get plenty of time in rotation and on obvious rushing downs. That's a solid contribution for a 36-year-old.

I kind of figured Daniels would be splitting time when we signed Wynn back. Now there are three of them. Its going to be good because coming off the injury and his age he won't have the pressure of anchoring that side of the line for the entire game. We now have capable guys to help him out.

That's really cool. I really like Daniels and I'm glad we brought him back. This just makes me happier. He's still pretty impressive against the run and a great veteran leader/workout kinda guy. That seems to be the exact mold of Orakpo and it sounds like Orakpo is a great fit on our team both on and off the field. I'm excited.

Archived