Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you think about this song's lyrics?

dcoles11

First of all, I don't think this is all that big of a deal, I just thought it would be fun to put some light on country music and it's lyrics when rap music seems to get all the negative press.

The song is "All American Girl" by Carrie Underwood.

These are the lyrics that I have an issue with.

Sixteen short years later

She was falling for the senior football star

Before you knew it he was dropping passes

Skipping practice just to spend more time with her

The coach said, hey son what is your problem

Tell me have you lost your mind

Daddy said you’ll lose your free ride to college

Boy, you better tell her goodbye

But now, he’s wrapped around her finger

She’s the center of his whole world

And his heart belongs to that sweet, little, beautiful, wonderful, perfect

All American

The basic message is, the hell with your team, the hell with your football scholoarship, basically the hell with your future and responsibility, just hang out with your 16 year old high school girlfriend.

Like I said, i'm being silly but in reality if I had a son that did the things this song is encouraging, i'd be highly dissapointed. Not sure we need song lyrics that encourage teenagers to make more bad decisions, they make enough already.

Thats not the basic message. The basic message is there are more important things in life than football and such. I would rather have the girl of my dreams to spend the rest of my life with and raise a family with than a football scholarship.

So at the age of 16 or 17 you should be trying to find the girl of your dreams and doing anything to be with her even if it means jepordizing your athletic and academic career?

Yes, that makes perfect sense, because 16 year olds are known for making such sound decisions, and high school sweethearts always seem to last.

Thats not the basic message. The basic message is there are more important things in life than football and such. I would rather have the girl of my dreams to spend the rest of my life with and raise a family with than a football scholarship.

Yeah exactly! As much as we all love sports, there is more to life then playing football. You do whatever makes you happy and apparently this girl makes that guy happy.

Yeah exactly! As much as we all love sports, there is more to life then playing football. You do whatever makes you happy and apparently this girl makes that guy happy.

What guy in high school isn't in love with some girl in high school? If you had a son, would you encourage him to throw away an athletic scholorship because he was "in love" with a 16 year old girl when he himself was 16 or 17?

I think you guys are forgetting how damn dumb you were in high school and how you thought everything was forever, like your girlfriend.

So at the age of 16 or 17 you should be trying to find the girl of your dreams and doing anything to be with her even if it means jepordizing your athletic and academic career?

Yes, that makes perfect sense, because 16 year olds are known for making such sound decisions, and high school sweethearts always seem to last.

I do believe that they have done study's, and the type of relationship that most often results in long-term marriages is high-school sweethearts.

I will try and find something to support that.

I do believe that they have done study's, and the type of relationship that most often results in long-term marriages is high-school sweethearts.

I will try and find something to support that.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true but thats not exactly what i'm saying.

If you have lets say 25 couples that are high school sweethearts, how many of those couples are going to get married? Not many, especially if it's a high school that tends to send kids off to college.

Now if 1 or 2 of those couples get married, like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if they stayed together.

Maybe since it's a country song, the lyrics are inspired from the life style of a small town high school where nobody ever leaves and people just stick around forever and marry people from the small community. I think we all know towns like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true but thats not exactly what i'm saying.

If you have lets say 25 couples that are high school sweethearts, how many of those couples are going to get married? Not many, especially if it's a high school that tends to send kids off to college.

Now if 1 or 2 of those couples get married, like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if they stayed together.

Maybe since it's a country song, the lyrics are inspired from the life style of a small town high school where nobody ever leaves and people just stick around forever and marry people from the small community. I think we all know towns like that.

Well do you really think its better to focus on football when how many players will actually make a career out of it? I think the percentage is higher for high school sweethearts than high school football players that make it to the pro's!

Well do you really think its better to focus on football when how many players will actually make a career out of it? I think the percentage is higher for high school sweethearts than high school football players that make it to the pro's!

Pro's shouldn't even be in the discussion. The song talks about a free ride to college.

Whether the kid ever makes the pro's or not means nothing, because football is paying for his college education. The career comes from the education you recieved in college. Who do you think has a better chance of success, someone who didn't go to college because of a HS girlfriend or someone that left her behind and got an education?

Also, most football scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years, whether you pan out or not on the field, so as long as you don't do anything off the field to lose your ride, you get your college paid for no matter how football goes.

I don't think any parent, including you if and when you have a child, would encourge their kid to jepordize a college scholarship for their high school bf or gf.

Also, I think you're concentrating too much on the football aspect of it. What if the kid had an academic scholarship and he started skipping classes and what not.

Would you be ok with that?

You forgot the end of the song where they get married and have a baby of their own...so it seems like his life worked out for him.

It's a song. Maybe still went on to play football in college....my parents were high school sweethearts, my dad still went on to play football all throughout college. They're still married.

Devil's advocate over here today aren't we? You probably coulda found a better country song to use :silly: :silly:

Pro's shouldn't even be in the discussion. The song talks about a free ride to college.

Whether the kid ever makes the pro's or not means nothing, because football is paying for his college education. The career comes from the education you recieved in college. Who do you think has a better chance of success, someone who didn't go to college because of a HS girlfriend or someone that left her behind and got an education?

Also, most football scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years, whether you pan out or not on the field, so as long as you don't do anything off the field to lose your ride, you get your college paid for no matter how football goes.

I don't think any parent, including you if and when you have a child, would encourge their kid to jepordize a college scholarship for their high school bf or gf.

Also, I think you're concentrating too much on the football aspect of it. What if the kid had an academic scholarship and he started skipping classes and what not.

Would you be ok with that?

I would be ok with my kid making them do what makes them happy. If my child is not academically gifted enough to go to college without a sports scholarship, then maybe they should not be going in the first place and should be exploring other career options. Did you go to a division I school with scholarship athletes? Most of them could not form complete sentences they were so dumb. The ones that were actually smart would have gotten into school regardless and would have gotten financial aid. I just would not want my kid to ignore a social life for sports. Social development is just as important whether it be with friends or relationships.

That being said, I still think you are missing the point of the song. She is saying that finding love is one of the most important things in life and I agree with her. I would rather be in a happy marriage with less things than be single or end up in a not so happy marriage and have lots of things.

A Country Boy Can Survive propogates gun violence, tobacco usage, alcoholism, and bootlegging illegal liquor.

The preacher man says it’s the end of time

And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry

The interest is up and the Stock Markets down

And you only get mugged

If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see

A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive

And a country boy can survive

Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long

I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn

We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too

Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do

We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can’t starve us out

And you cant makes us run

Cause one-of- ‘em old boys raisin ole shotgun

And we say grace and we say Ma’am

And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coalmines

And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies

And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line

I had a good friend in New York City

He never called me by my name, just hillbilly

My grandpa taught me how to live off the land

And his taught him to be a businessman

He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights

And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife

For 43 dollars my friend lost his life

Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes

And shoot him with my old 45

Cause a country boy can survive

What guy in high school isn't in love with some girl in high school? If you had a son, would you encourage him to throw away an athletic scholorship because he was "in love" with a 16 year old girl when he himself was 16 or 17?

I think you guys are forgetting how damn dumb you were in high school and how you thought everything was forever, like your girlfriend.

I'm not sure I understand why you are complaining about this song? I don't think anyone was encouraging him to "throw away" his scholarship. I really just think the song is about showing people that while sports are fun, there's more to life than sports. I don't see why you are making a big deal out of this. And I don't even like country music

I really just think the song is about showing people that while sports are fun, there's more to life than sports.

I haven't heard the whole song, but based on the posted lyrics, I think it has nothing to do with sports at all. I think it's about high school sweethearts and how they become so enamored with each other that other priorities seem to disappear. It could have been about a guy who got good grades then got distracted and started failing or a guy who stopped hanging out with his friends. I think the OP read too much into it. :2cents:

• 3 months later...

If you want lyrics where parental discretion is required, you need to go old school.

For example:

Shave 'em Dry - by Lucille Bogan - 1935

I got ******* on my *******, big as the end of my thumb;

I got somethin' between my legs'll make a dead man ****.

Say I ****ed all night, and all the night before baby;

And I feel just like I wanna **** some more.

Now your **** hang down like a damn bell sapper;

And your **** stands up like a steeple;

Your goddamn ******* stands open like a church door;

And the crabs walks in like people.

I've tried to sanitize this, you can go to the link for the non-redacted lyrics.

I haven't heard the whole song, but based on the posted lyrics, I think it has nothing to do with sports at all. I think it's about high school sweethearts and how they become so enamored with each other that other priorities seem to disappear. It could have been about a guy who got good grades then got distracted and started failing or a guy who stopped hanging out with his friends. I think the OP read too much into it. :2cents:

I agree. Reading the lyrics alone, it almost sounded like a cautionary tale, not a glorification.

Gabba Gabba We Accept You We Accept You One Of Us

gabba Gabba We Accept You We Accept You One Of Us

i Don't Wanna Be A Pinhead No More. I Just Met A Nurse That I Could Go For

d-U-M-B

everyones Accusin Me

d-U-M-B

everyones Accusin Me