Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Sanchez would carry huge price tag for Redskins

Oldskool

So, if you fail at something 7 times, keep doing the same thing!

When was the last time the Skins traded up to get a QB in the first round?

I remember.

You should take a look at the Seattle Seahawks Starting QBs entry on wikipedia. It's instructive because they drafted Stouffer in 87 (FIRST ROUND) and I remember the hype around the kid coming in. He was AWFUL and never truly supplanted Dave Krieg, there. Then they took Dan "he's 6-8!" McGwire (bro of Mark) and he did zip, nada. They went through QBs until they got Hasselbeck.

Teams keep trying to find franchise QBs because it's important, not because it's a losing strategy. Some are better at building the other parts but still, they all covet the QB who can mask those year-to-year deficiencies that spring up for whatever reason.

What are you hoping for, oldskool?

Does the SC fan in you want the Skins to get this kid, or what?

If we didn't have a void at ROT, OLB, and DE, I wouldn't mind the team reaching for him. Sadly, that isn't the case.

In a dream scenario, he would sit for a year or two and start after he rides the bench. He has the moxie, the charisma and tools to lead but he lacks actual in game experience that most rookies come in with.

I'm really tired of hearing that Red Herring. The Pac-10 was nowhere near as weak as you think, and USC had a pretty tough schedule, comparable to the schedule Florida had (sans or with CItadel included) Don't believe me? Let me post what I posted earlier today. Second of all the competition that Tebow, Bradford and Mccoy Faced were not something to necessarily sneeze at in fact, Tebow, the guy that some seem to think is not a true QB prospec tin the NFL, had the toughest Opposition, but only barely. Here's my research.

Okay, let's put this to rest right now, of the top QBs next year versus Sanchez who played the most efficient Defenses in the NCAA? Is it Bradford? Mccoy? Sanchez? or Tebow?

The Results might Surprise you.

Teams Oklahoma Played

Chattanooga 110

Cincinnati 27

Washington 115

TCU 4

Baylor 90

Texas 59

Kansas 69

Kansas St 95

Nebraska 82

Texas A&M 108

Texas Tech 72

Oklahoma State 74

Missouri 80

Florida 3

Teams Texas Played

FAU 89

UTEP 114

Rice 86

Arkansas 62

Colorado 73

Oklahoma 46

Missouri 80

Oklahoma St 74

Texas Tech 72

Baylor 90

Kansas 69

Texas A&M 108

Ohio State 13

Teams Florida Played

Hawaii 87

Miami (Fla) 44

Tennessee 11

Mississippi 49

Arkansas 62

LSU 42

Kentucky 51

Georiga 47

Vanderbilt 21

South Carolina 23

Citadel 115

Florida St 26

Alabama 14

Oklahoma 46

Teams USC Played

Virginia 55

Ohio St 13

Oregon St 32

Oregon 57

Arizona St 31

Washington St 98

Arizona 14

Washington 115

California 6

Stanford 83

Notre Dame 22

UCLA 40

Penn St 19

So let's bring the meat of the numbers, their sums and averages together in one place.

Oklahoma

Sum of I (BCS) 875

Count of I (BCS) 12

Average of I (BCS) 72.91666667

Sum of I (FCS) 110

Count of 1 (FCS) 0

Total Average (FCS) 82.08333333

Texas

Sum of I (BCS) 976

Count of I (BCS) 13

Average of I (BCS) 75.07692308

Sum of I (FCS) 0

Count of 1 (FCS) 0

Total Average (FCS) 75.07692308

Florida

Sum of I (BCS) 477

Count of I (BCS) 12

Average of I (BCS) 39.75

Sum of I (FCS) 115

Count of 1 (FCS) 1

Total Average (FCS) 45.53846154

USC

Sum of I (BCS) 585

Count of I (BCS) 13

Average of I (BCS) 45

Sum of I (FCS) 0

Count of 1 (FCS) 0

Total Average (FCS) 45

So Who faced the tougher most efficient defenses in the NCAA last year? Its Tim Tebow, bar none above Bradford and McCoy, and surprisingly, Sanchez's opposition was pretty close (by around 5 points if you don't include the FCS Game against the Citadel for Florida, if you do, it drags Florida's opposition ratings down to where they are basically a dead heat.)

So by these standings, USC and Flordia if you include the Citadell had pretty close to the same difficulty as far as Defensive Efficiency Goes, if you don't include the Citadel, Florida's Defensive opposition was better by about 5.25 points (Rankings) on Average, which frankly is not that much difference IMO. Both Texas and Oklahoma had a Defensive Average of 72, 75 against BCS competition, and Oklahoma's really blows up if you add in its FCS opponent Chattanooga.

Now while the Big-12 may have had more teams Ranked last year, the AP and USA Today polls are highly political. I think the guys knocking tebow and Sanchez, need to go look at the stats.

(Stats culled courtesy of NCAA Statistical database)

Now these are just for last years team. Bradford struggled against WVU in the Fiesta Bowl when he was consistently pressured, in fact, WVU was known for its bad pass defense that year, while they were rated 14th (7th in Total Defense), it was known that they could give up some yardage in the passing game because that was their weakeness.

In that Game Sam Bradford was 21/33 for 242 yards, 2 TD, and 1 INT, but truly both TDs didn't come till the 4th Qurater when the Score was 34-15, and well out of reach.I wish I could find the number of sacks and hurries for the game, but Bradford was flustered. Now he was only a freshman and he probably has matured some, but that game showed that if you get after him, you can get him off rhythm. His numbers in the BCS Champ game against florida were even worse, 21/41 256 Yards 2 TD and 2 INT. Now I have no doubt that Bradford can be a good QB, but I'm not convinced he's better than Tebow or Sanchez given how he's played against tough Competition.

You went to all that trouble to point out that the SEC QB faced tougher defenses?

If we didn't have a void at ROT, OLB, and DE, I wouldn't mind the team reaching for him. Sadly, that isn't the case.

In a dream scenario, he would sit for a year or two and start after he rides the bench. He has the moxie, the charisma and tools to lead but he lacks actual in game experience that most rookies come in with.

Vague, much? Yes or no:hysterical:.

There is no such thing as a dream scenario, this is the Skins we are talking about.

Snyder will be on the the next shiny new toy in 2010:doh:.

The thing is, Sanchez seems like he can move in the pocket more than the current QB so he can make up for ORT. He can't rush the passer, but the Skins weren't going to be able to get both DE/OT in the first round this year anyways, so they will just have to bat 1000 on the 2nd day this year.

WE supposidly have 5.6 million in cap space.

That doesnt seem to be enough money if we were to try and trade up for Sanchez.

Does it ????????

Not to mention we have 4 more picks that we would need to sign also.

Dont forget that drafting Sanchez will mean we don't need an OL anymore, so thats a lot of money off teh books.

Why do they keep saying "Snyder has drafted..." Vinny is the GM now... was before... GIbbs was here, Spurrier wanted Danny Wuerfel, Patrick Ramsey, etc.

I don't think Snyder watches film and goes after the guys. He has someone (Vinny) in his ear about who they need to get and once he's sold on it, he'll open the check book.

I just don't see Snyder making football decisions. He needs to change the people who do. Be slow to hire... fast to fire...

Why do they keep saying "Snyder has drafted..." Vinny is the GM now... was before... GIbbs was here, Spurrier wanted Danny Wuerfel, Patrick Ramsey, etc.

I don't think Snyder watches film and goes after the guys. He has someone (Vinny) in his ear about who they need to get and once he's sold on it, he'll open the check book.

I just don't see Snyder making football decisions. He needs to change the people who do. Be slow to hire... fast to fire...

It's been widely reported that Snyder, like Jones in Dallas, has ultimate say as to the draft.

Take that as you will, as none of us really have any knowledge of the inner workings inside Redskins Park.

I don't think Kiper knows. His guess is as good as ours. I think that's the truth.

If we have to trade up to 3 or 4 we are going to have to give up the farm to get this kid. Especially since there will most likely be other teams interested in trading up. #13 this year and our 1st next year I wouldn't be slightly surprised with.

It's been widely reported that Snyder, like Jones in Dallas, has ultimate say as to the draft.

Take that as you will, as none of us really have any knowledge of the inner workings inside Redskins Park.

Reported by who? To be honest, I see no evidence of it.

There have been plenty of years where Snyder was reportedly "smitten" with a player who was beyond our reach. Every time we either stay put or trade down and not get that player. I don't expect that to change this year, tho I could see the team trading up a little bit if they think that none of the players that they really want are not going to be there. Course, I could also see them trading down, which is Vinny's tendency when no one is there.

I'm not at all stressed by this draft because in most years the Skins have done a decent job of taking care of business during the draft and really keep the wild moves to a minimum. There is nothing that tells me that's going to change.

You went to all that trouble to point out that the SEC QB faced tougher defenses?

If that's the conclusion you drew from my research, then you obviously missed the point. The point was that the defenses Tebow faced were only Slightly better than what Sanchez Faced, and that's only if you exclude their FCS opponent the Citadel. Both USC and and Florida had similar schedules in terms of strength, and mathematically both had significantly tougher schedules than Oklahoma or Texas from a Defensive standpoint.

Not to throw in another towel, but just saw on Rotoworld that the Jets could have an offer on the table, their first for Brady Quinn if they can't get Mark Sanchez. Hypothetically, for those that seem to be high on Sanchez, would you trade the first to Cleveland if we couldn't trade up to get him and no OT was there?

Archived