Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Shooting Range Thread

renaissance

I used to shoot guns at summer camp when I was younger but haven't since camp closed many years ago :(

I have no interest in hunting, just possibly in target practice but have absolutely no idea how one gets into that. When you go to a shooting range can you just "rent" a gun like you rent skates at the skating alley?? I assume you have to go through safety training, etc, but I'm just curious as to what all is out there. Any info would be helpful!

My dad is a certified fire arms instructor. Basically what he does is go through safety tips first of all, then really just teaches you tips and stuff about being an accurate shot.

I'm not sure if you are able to rent from the range, or have to bring your own gun in. I could ask, but he's at work now. I'd imagine it varies from range to range.

But he usually doesn't charge that much cause he usually trains guys he works with, but he does a really good job, and the guys end up giving him like 50-100 bucks anyways. So it's not that expensive if you get an instructor.

I used to shoot guns at summer camp when I was younger but haven't since camp closed many years ago :(

I have no interest in hunting, just possibly in target practice but have absolutely no idea how one gets into that. When you go to a shooting range can you just "rent" a gun like you rent skates at the skating alley?? I assume you have to go through safety training, etc, but I'm just curious as to what all is out there. Any info would be helpful!

Go to the LL Bean in McLean, I'm sure they have programs for you to do...I did one in Maine...it was awesome.

There is also a shooting range in Fairfax I think that you can do...you rent the gun, and they teach you how to do shoot etc.

When I was over on the eastern shore for spring break, I went shooting at this cool place...it was used for tournaments, so there were tons of different looks...my favorite was shooting out over the bay.

Depends on what state probably. Here in NC, I can walk into my local shooting range and rent a gun without any kind of safety training. All they tell you is to put on your "eyes and ears."

Actually to show how lax it is, a friend of mine from Chicago came in to visit and wanted to go to the range. I had to work that day so he and my g/f went by themselves. They rented a .40 and went back to the range area with no questions. My g/f told me that he had no idea what he was doing. He was trying to load rounds into the clip backwards and all sorts of dumb stuff. She had to show him how to operate the gun.

Depends on what state probably. Here in NC, I can walk into my local shooting range and rent a gun without any kind of safety training. All they tell you is to put on your "eyes and ears."

Actually to show how lax it is, a friend of mine from Chicago came in to visit and wanted to go to the range. I had to work that day so he and my g/f went by themselves. They rented a .40 and went back to the range area with no questions. My g/f told me that he had no idea what he was doing. He was trying to load rounds into the clip backwards and all sorts of dumb stuff. She had to show him how to operate the gun.

Well I'm definitely never going to a shooting range in NC!!! lol, um that is kind of scary actually

Go to the LL Bean in McLean, I'm sure they have programs for you to do...I did one in Maine...it was awesome.

There is also a shooting range in Fairfax I think that you can do...you rent the gun, and they teach you how to do shoot etc.

When I was over on the eastern shore for spring break, I went shooting at this cool place...it was used for tournaments, so there were tons of different looks...my favorite was shooting out over the bay.

I looked online and saw the one in Fairfax...I'll have to call but I think I'm gonna sound like a complete doofus asking them "hey can I come in there and rent a gun?"

Are you talking about skeet shooting or just shooting like handguns etc?

Just like stationary target practice. I'm not ready to shoot moving objects!

I e-mailed the NRA range and they replied in like 2 minutes!

Dear Ren,

We do not rent firearms here. Shooters must provide their own guns.

I will attach our range info sheet to provide you with more details.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Sylvia

Just like stationary target practice. I'm not ready to shoot moving objects!

I e-mailed the NRA range and they replied in like 2 minutes!

hmmm, well then, you can always join me when I go to the ranges....I'm supposed to go pistol shooting/rifle shooting with a Trooper in the near future.

or, you can try this:

http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/bullrunshooting/index.php

I've been to shooting ranges where you can rent a gun, or "try them out".

I am torn between indoor and outdoor ranges. I love being outside, but sometimes the indoor ranges are nicer.

Me at the range a few years ago...

k-9031.jpg?t=1240260754

my dog isn't a big fan of it.

k-9030.jpg?t=1240260802

I didn't even know renting a gun for target practice was legal until my dad passed a place in Maryland that advertised it. Having lived in NJ all my life gun laws have always been very VERY strict.

Can't rent guns, must have a gun purchase I.D. card which requires an application that goes through local, state and federal criminal records in a process that takes a couple of months (can't buy a gun without an I.D. card). Special hand-gun purchase permits need to be filled out before getting a hand-gun, and even then the permit is only good for a small window of time. Once the time is up you have to fill out another hand-gun permit application. I also believe you have to have a hand-gun purchase permit for EACH hand-gun you plan to buy.

Surprised the gun laws are so strict in places. Out here in CA you just walk in point to a gun and start shooting with as much or as little training as you ask for. There's a spot in downtown LA I've been to a few times, LA gun club. Highly recommended for any Angelenos on the board.

Blue Ridge Arsenal is very good. Yes, as other have stated you can rent(I stil want to try the Desert Eagle). If you are unsure of how things work, just ask. They are all friendly and will be glad to help. Have never been to the NRA range but have heard it is top notch.

I didn't even know renting a gun for target practice was legal until my dad passed a place in Maryland that advertised it. Having lived in NJ all my life gun laws have always been very VERY strict.

Can't rent guns, must have a gun purchase I.D. card which requires an application that goes through local, state and federal criminal records in a process that takes a couple of months (can't buy a gun without an I.D. card). Special hand-gun purchase permits need to be filled out before getting a hand-gun, and even then the permit is only good for a small window of time. Once the time is up you have to fill out another hand-gun permit application. I also believe you have to have a hand-gun purchase permit for EACH hand-gun you plan to buy.

You can't rent a gun to go hunting or anything. It is only for use at the range. Oh, and don't ever try to take one out!!! They are all packing, locked an loaded!

Archived