Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Shooting Range Thread

renaissance

I don't like organized ranges. I learned to shoot in the middle of the desert without a shooting table, bench, range master, or list of safety rules. It isn't so much that I am unsafe with guns, in fact it's quite the opposite I have a rather large collection and practice the utmost safety at all times, it's just that A. I would rather shoot my rifles far away from anybody else as I don't trust other people, B. I enjoy shooting things like glass bottles or tin cans a LOT more than a piece of paper, and C. I would like to use the functionality of my rifles A.K.A. I have an M-1 Garand and SKS that I would like to fire slightly faster than most ranges would ever be comfortable with me firing.

Whenever I go to a private range or a heavily regulated public range I never have as much fun as I used to out in Arizona. I'm always afraid that some idiot who doesn't know what they're doing is going to blow my head off by accident, I'm afraid of doing anything at all to upset the range masters and get thrown out, and I get bored easily from taking 1 shot at a paper target 150 yards away, pulling out the spotter, looking at the target, shooting 1 more round.

I went shooting with a veteran I met in a college class in Arizona a couple of years ago, we both brought M-1 Garands and had some extra 30-06 left over so we got 2 clips each loaded up and ready and stood next to each other, unloaded our first 8 rounds quickly on the targets, loaded the next 8 quickly, and unloaded those. It sure was a lot of fun, and you would never be allowed to do it in Maryland.

You could do that at BRA. They leave you alone. Unless your doing something really unsafe. There usually aren't many ppl there either, that is alway a plus. But I get what your saying, out in the open is the best way to shoot.

I don't like you, you have an M1 and I don't!! Have always wanted one.

Archived