Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sanchez - The Down and *ahem* Dirty

3 Rings

Your favorite Led Zeppelin song???  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite Led Zeppelin song???

• Achilles Last Stand
    • Stairway to Heaven
    • Ramble On
    • Whole Lotta Love
    • No Quarter
    • Heartbreaker
    • The Battle of Evermore
    • Kashmir
    • The Rover
    • What Is and What Should Never Be
    • Houses of the Holy
    • The Wanton Song
    • The Ocean
    • Bring It On Home
    • Trampled Under Foot
    • Ten Years Gone
    • Over the Hills and Far Away
    • Dazed and Confused
    • Thank You
    • In My Time of Dying
    • Moby Dick
    • The Rain Song
    • The Immigrant Song
    • Good Times, Bad Times
    • The Song Remains the Same
    • Black Dog
    • Going to California
    • Rock & Roll
    • Other SC you dumb **** how could you forget
    • What is a Led Zeppelin

Hi guys and gals...I will be writing a piece for www.drafttek.com this week but I thought I'd get some input first. I have read some threads about Sanchez here, one of which was somewhat along these lines, and I am puzzled by a couple of things.

Let's say the Skins are really showing their hand to everyone and they want Sanchez...well I guess that stirs its own debate but there is only one reason (outside of actually wanting to get him) that will make this hand-tipping tactic work.

They definitely aren't putting on a goo-fest for Sanchez because they want someone to trade with them at 13....imagine how that conversation would go;

"Uh..hey, Vinny?

"..Yeah"

"This is general manager X and we know you guys like the USC QB...but we really want him! What will it take"

"Well...we would accept a trade for him because we actually like the OT from Ole Miss"

"WHAT!?!?!..I think we'll just call the Saints."

So, if the Skins aren't intent on actually getting Sanchez (which I don't personally believe that they are) then the goal is only a numbers squeeze at the top. If they bait someone into leapfrogging them or make someone in the top 12 take him, knowing he might not be there if they want to say, trade back up if he were to slip a little, then the numbers would work out to push a top-tier OL or DL prospect to them. I think they are after Oher or Ayers.

You have to presume the projected top picks go in a certain fashion though. Here's how it might shake out if the Skins are succesful in baiting a team to go ahead of them..

1 Stafford

2 J Smith

3 Curry

4 *Trade for Sanchez*

5 Crabtree

6 Monroe

7 Raji

8 Orakpo

9 Maclin

10 E Brown

11 A Smith

12 Oher or Ayers

13 Oher or Ayers...Bingo...the numbers game ensures one of the OL/DL prospects lands squarely in their laps.

Of course the only question is...Are Dan and Vinny smart enough to take this path.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Only the Jets and the Bucs come to mind as someone below the Redskins who would want a QB. How exactly would this ruse help those teams in trading to the #4 spot? Wouldn't they trade their picks to Washington and have not much left to trade with Seattle?

See I don't think they would trade with us once they realized we weren't after him...they'd just look lower...OR they would have moved up far enough already to not have to worry about the Skins.

Only the Jets and the Bucs come to mind as someone below the Redskins who would want a QB. How exactly would this ruse help those teams in trading to the #4 spot? Wouldn't they trade their picks to Washington and have not much left to trade with Seattle?

I think what the idea is, is that a team like the Jets who pick at 17 were originally banking on Sanchez slipping past Seattle at #4, leaving no one else between #4-#17 needing to draft a QB. But if the Redskins begin showing interest it hopefully will prompt Seatle to make a trade and move ahead of the Redskins in order to assure themselves that they get their QB. And in turn that pick drops another prospect further down the board to the Redskins which was their intentions all along. It's a pretty good idea if it's actually what they're thinking.

I see what you're saying, but regardless of the Redskins' involvement it seems that Sanchez would go before 13 anyhow, therefore, the prospects that would remain at 13 would be relatively the same regardless of if another team traded up for Sanchez or not.

That's what I think, too. Sanchez goes #4 to Seattle, #8 to Jax, #10 to San Fran, or #12 to Denver. I seriously doubt he slips to #13. So the top prospects don't slide one spot since Sanchez was already entrenched as a top pick.

Its not a ruse. Why would the Redskins ruse over a QB after you pretty much humiliated your starter and then tried to make up? It would make sense to ruse other psoitions.

The Jets are too low to trade up to 4--it wuld take considerably more to move up and may well prove too expensive to trade up from down there.

Sanchez is too short and hasn't started enough games for us to trade that far up and select him. I would do a number 8 trade if it was more reasonable.

I think we need to trade down and pick up picks next year. I would love the ammo to trade up for Bradford next year because he is better and taller than Sanchez. Give Campbell one more chance. He will most likely flop and we will have another decent first rounder to trade up next year. The Lions may well have the top overall pick and the Redskins would be able to work out a deal to get their top pick since they already have a QB.

Question to the OP. Did you see the thread about danny zorn cerrato and sanchez out to dinner?

There is no doubt they are wining and dining this guy.

I did see that report...I have to say...I am puzzled...but I just can't see them doing it. I can't see them being short-sighted enough to not realize they have multiple holes to fill...

Here's my take: I really believe that Dan Snyder wants Sanchez playing QB for his Redskins, and the cat is out of the bag. While I'd be perfectly happy with the Skins drafting a lineman (either side of the ball) or a linebacker, I am really getting tired of the bogus controversy having to do with the Skins desire to have Sanchez wearing the burgundy and gold. My gosh.....am I the only one who is thoroughly disappointed with the production coming from the QB position during the second half of the season last year? Huh? Yeah, averaging 10 points per game is just fine....yup...no problem.

Talk about wishful thinking!

I think the truth is Zorn tried to mold JC into the QB he wants and found a couple of shortcomings. IMO, his throwing motion and his inability to read defenses (i.e. intelligence).

Zorn has communicated this to Snyder and they're playing good cop, bad cop. Snyder playing the latter and looking for another QB.

This is no ruse, JC is out of here.

Interesting thread.

My belief is that you are overestimating our FO.

It has been an extremely rare occurrence when we have actually snookered another team in a trade. Let alone, to suggest that we have enough intelligence to actually pull something like this off.

We are never the team trading away a washed up vet, to some sucker team for absurd draft picks.

In contrast, we are almost always on the receiving end of such beatings.

Sanchez is too short

The NFL combine has him listed at 6'2. I've seen up to 6'3. Plenty of height and Drew Brees proves that it's really not all that important a factor.

and hasn't started enough games for us to trade that far up

He's had 4 years and 16 starts at USC. Matt Cassell had zero college starts, but he was smart and came up through a pro-style offense. Mark Sanchez is more like Carson Palmer than Matt Leinart. Most USC fans do agree about that.

I personally think they will do whatever it takes to land Sanchez. Which means no new line man til like 2011. So no quarterback is gonna be worth squat here. I think the kid is gonna be a good qb. If we could land him with the 13 pick and then focus on the line...i wouldnt be super upset. But if we have to trade everything and have to keep going with our 40 year old lineman...I believe we are screwed. For quite a while.

I sure hope the OP is right. He has to be. We be so open about your intentions if that is in fact your intention. This strategy seems to be pretty sound. Even after the draft I expect Vinny to say that they were genuinely interested in Sanchez so they don't expose their strategy for future drafts.

Also, Ayers is a RDE correct? AC is a RDE correct? Isn't it a gamble to place Ayers on the left and hope to see the same results? It would seem that if DE was really the way they wanted to go then they should trade down and try to land Tyson Jackson of LSU who is a large LEFT end with Phillip Daniels-like size. I'm not sure if I have seen anything addressing with issue about Ayers so I would love for someone to explain and justify the gamble.

This "elaborate ruse" stuff is hilarious.

I mean, we're talking about Danny and Vinny here. If those guys sit down at your poker table, you know it's gonna be a good weekend.

That would be Dan "Im a billionaire how much are you worth" Snyder right? The man might not be qualified to run a draft but he is no fool.

Archived