Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cromartie on the Trading Block?

Dirty#30

Didn't notice if this was posted...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/02/roundup-cromartie-could-be-on-the-trading-block/

Antonio Cromartie was one of the most celebrated cornerbacks in 2007. He was coming off his first (of what many believed was soon-to-be many) Pro Bowl appearances and was a troublesome thorn in Peyton Manning’s side with four interceptions against him in just one season. Cromartie had eyes on breaking Dick “Night Train” Lane’s single season record of 14 interceptions. He finished with two and was hampered by a hip injury in 2008.

Now the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Cromartie could be on the trade block. And for added irony, he could be replaced by Drayton Florence — the guy who Cromartie replaced. Florence signed with the Jaguars last season, but was recently released. The UT is reporting that the two sides are currently talking.

I liked the guy, thought he was considered one of the best in the league. at least in the top 10. What do you guys think..."IF"...there is any validity to this story.

Cromartie is a safety is'nt he?

No, he's a CB.

And to the OP, I just don't think we have the ammo nor the need to do it. Just because he may be an upgrade over what we have doesn't mean we need him. We have one of the better young secondaries in the NFL and we could use the draft pick that would go to the Chargers for him to upgrade other positions of need.

IMO, it'd be akin to drafting three wideouts in the top ten three years in a row. Good work, Millen. :doh:

Cromartie is a safety is'nt he?

he's a CB and if they are willing to trade him in the 3rd season of a 5 year contract, I'd have my radar way the f' up... there's got to be a "red flaggy" reason why they'd want to get rid of this guy... young, all the talent in the world and you are looking to trade him? something with his injury or attitude but I'd see this as "buyer beware"... you don't trade seemingly franchise CB's like this...

story has got to be bs...

The kid can play. I believe that he was on the Redskins' radar when coming out of FSU, but he was selected a bit early, especially coming off the injury he had in college and his general lack of experience.

I would love to add this type of ballhawking DB, but it's a luxury I don't know that we can afford. Let's hope that Hall can become what he was growing into in Atlanta before the whole Petrino and subsequent Oakland mess!

If we could land him by trading Carlos straight up, then sure!!! I'm not breaking the bank to get him though. He is electric with the ball in his hands, and a good cover man. His head got too big last year that is why he had an off year.

Why trade even if just straight up?

I hate the Cromartie hype. Yes 2 years ago he was a pro bowler because he got INT's just like Walt Harris did in San Fran but last year Cromartie was the worst corner on the Chargers roster. Taking chances and getting INT's doesn't make up for terrible technique and discipline. I wouldn't trade Smoot for him.

I hate the Cromartie hype. Yes 2 years ago he was a pro bowler because he got INT's just like Walt Harris did in San Fran but last year Cromartie was the worst corner on the Chargers roster. Taking chances and getting INT's doesn't make up for terrible technique and discipline. I wouldn't trade Smoot for him.

While I probably would trade Smoot for him, I have to agree that INT totals don't make a good CB. A lot of the guys with big INT numbers are because they take chances breaking on a ball. These sorts of chances usually result in a) INT or B) Big gain/touchdown. A) is great if your offense can take advantage or the CB can get 6 himself, but B) can really get you into trouble.

Cromartie has some of the best ball skills of any CB in the league, but I wouldn't say he is among the best CB's in the league as a whole.

Smoot was the worst corner in the league because no one could get it past the other corners on our team, it's like saying Dante Hall was atrocious (stat wise he was) but look who the other corner was..

When you are poised with the question as a QB, to chuck it at Carlos Rogers or Smoot..

Archived