Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Campbell to Browns for Quinn

addicted

With all of the talk and speculation about the failed push for Jay Cutler and potential three way trade that would have sent Cutler to us, Jason Campbell to Cleveland, and Brady Quinn to Denver something strikes me as odd. Since that trade failed, why don't we simply cut out the middle man and make the trade for Quinn ourselves?

Quinn is young, is going into his third year of a five year deal, cheap, and I do believe that Denver's Josh Daniels liked Quinn over Orton. Quinn is entering the year in Cleveland fighting for the starting job but the Browns don't seem to interested in handing it to him. He's got a lot of potential and isn't damaged goods like Jason Campbell is now to the front office. We could do the following:

1. Trade Jason Campbell for Quinn

2. Release Todd Collins

3. Add Byron Leftwich to the team and plan to have him start until Quinns ready

Our QB depth chart goes from:

1. Jason Campbell

2. Todd Collins

to:

1. Byron Leftwich

2. Brady Quinn

The biggest problem with this move is getting it to work under the cap. We'd take a 5 million dollar cap cut to release/trade our current players. We'd also have to take on the contracts of Leftwich (if vet minimum about 1million) and Quinn (He signed a 9.5million 5 year contract so could be set to be paid 2million more this year). The only problem is coming up with the 8 million to do this which is why it likely wouldn't happen. But we've been able to make cap room in the past so nothings completely off the table, we could do that if we wanted.

I think the reason we wouldn't do just a Campbell for Quinn trade ourselves is because we want to compete this year. Its going to take time for Quinn to get comfortable in a new offense. We obviously don't think we can rely on Collins to start for us next year so any move like this would have to include a QB the team believes we could pencil in as a starter for the first half of the year. That's where Leftwich comes in. He mentors Quinn and then he hands the reigns over to Quinn mid season.

The following year we'd have 2 young QB's on the team and hold an open competition with Colt and Quinn. Let the best man win the job. We can keep Leftwich as our teams backup then too. If we have a coaching change this is an attractive situation to be in.

Anyone think this would be a good deal for us to look into? I'm not trying to beat the dead horse here with Campbell. My feeling is he's going to have a great season for us here next year and will leave us the following year. I think we will try and resign him but hes going to pull a Pierce on us and leave no matter what. So I'm just looking for options we might have that we haven't explored and with the Browns being willing to trade Quinn and accept Campbell it might make sense to pull it off without Cutler.

Mods I know there are other threads out there involving these players but I didn't know which one to put this in since it involved 4 players. Im sorry if I made a mistake.

are you saying the redskins should start Leftwich?

Yes I am. He would be the teams starter until Quinns ready to go this year. I don't believe Quinn could learn enough to be the teams starter at the beginning of the year so we need someone who can compete in the devision until he's ready to go

Umn why in the world would the Browns do this??? They were only trying to trade Quinn because they had a chance at a pro bowl level QB. If they trade for Campbell they are in the same situation that they are in now, but worse.

Umn why in the world would the Browns do this??? They were only trying to trade Quinn because they had a chance at a pro bowl level QB. If they trade for Campbell they are in the same situation that they are in now, but worse.

Not according to the reports. The Browns would have received Campbell, we would have received the probowl QB

'the bird says no'
i'm gonna vote 'no'
I really don't see how either party would benefit from this

You guys gotta tell me so I understand...

Are you voting the idea down because:

Your not sold on Quinn being any good

You believe we would be in better shape with Campbell and think we can re-sign him if he earns the deal

Or something else, I gotta understand why this is a bad idea.

Yes I am. He would be the teams starter until Quinns ready to go this year. I don't believe Quinn could learn enough to be the teams starter at the beginning of the year so we need someone who can compete in the devision until he's ready to go

The west coast offense is one of the harder systems to learn. Leftwitch has never played in a west coast offense. I'd rather stay with Campbell. Quinn is still an unknown and If he couldn't win the job last year with the browns why would you think he'll be able to here?

I'd rather trade Campbell for a pick. Keep both Todd and Colt then bring in another vet like Garcia. IF the redskins are going to take a risk they sould do so with Colt and if that doesn't work they have a proven Vet like garcia that has can ride the ship until next offseason where the skins can pick a QB in the draft.

You guys gotta tell me so I understand...

Are you voting the idea down because:

Your not sold on Quinn being any good

You believe we would be in better shape with Campbell and think we can re-sign him if he earns the deal

Or something else, I gotta understand why this is a bad idea.

Quinn has not proven anything. there were question marks all over him coming out of college and there are still question marks all over him. he hasnt even been declared a starter there.

with JC we have seen what he can do when he has the cast around him. even if he never becomes the stud we are all hoping for, he can win with a decent, healthy cast around him.

Archived