Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Blues Album ever?

Spaceman Spiff

I love the old school, and all blues, but I'd say start with anything by Robert Johnson, Albert King ( like "Born Under A Bad Sign" or "Best of: Stormy Monday Blues, Chicago 1978"), Howlin Wolf ("Rockin Chair Album" and "Moanin in the Moonlight") and Buddy Guy (try "A Man and His Blues" or "Live at the Checkboard Lounge") . When I was 16 a very very special 19 year old hippie girl turned me on to Paul Butterfiled Blues Band (among other things). That was a gooooood time. So they're an old fave from the 60's/70's :)

I could go on and on :D :cool2:

I'll add a few more....( I know the title says "best ever" but I figured I'd list some of my favorites.Hard to pick just one. )

It Serves You Right To Suffer - John Lee Hooker

Fathers And Sons - Muddy Waters ( Highly recommended )

The Original Fleetwood Mac -Fleetwood Mac ( This isn't the Stevie Nicks/Christie McVie era Fleetwood Mac, this is the original Blues/Rock band Fleetwood Mac )

This is a great one...

21BXAH1JWSL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

Can I throw in Van Morrison's Moondance album?

Great album, but that falls under blue-eyed soul / folk rock.

I agree with the serious posts above and would like to add:

Memphis Minnie: Good Cuts

Taj Mahal: In Progress and In Motion

Taj Mahal & Etta Baker: Etta Baker With Taj Mahal

Howlin' Wolf: The London Sessions

Jimi Hendrix: Blues

Muddy Waters: One More Mile

Mississippi John Hurt: Ain't No Tellin'

Mississippi Fred Mcdowell: I Don't Play No RocK N' Roll

Rev. Gary Davis: The Livingroom Tapes

Skip James: Hard Time Killin' Floor

Alia Mae Hinton: Honey Babe

Blind Lemon Jefferson: King of The Country Blues

Blind Willie McTell: Atlanta Twelve String

Charlie Patton: The Charlie Patton Collection

Leadbelly: Leadbelly ARC & Library Of Congress Recordings

Van Morrison: It's Too Late To Stop Now (live)

You really can't go wrong with anything by these folks but these are some of my favorites.:cool2:

000b33f2_medium.jpegJohn Lee Hooker "It Serves You Right To Suffer". John Lee Hooker is the most prolific bluesman of all. Very under-appreciated. If you can't feel this record, give it up. The Blues ain't for you.

ccladva2008.jpgMuddy Waters- "Folk Singer"..

about as true a blues album as you'll ever find. The essence of blues. In the early 60s when the folk movement began, Chess records tried to cash in on it by having Muddy make a folk record. So Muddy, Buddy Guy and Willie Dixon sat down in a studio and recorded this unplugged delta blues album. It's beautiful.

41VAD9PP27L._SL500_AA240_.jpgJimmy Rogers All Stars- "Blues Blues Blues".. Jimmy Rogers was Muddy Waters' guitar player starting in the late 40s on up through the 60s. He invented so many rock and roll riffs it's not even funny. This album was produced before he died and features a bunch of modern artists playing with him... the tunes with Mick Jagger are stunning. Some folks don't like the Stones, but Mick is a world class blues harp player, and he shows it off BIG time on this disc.

Howlin-Wolf-The-London-Howlin-436225.jpgHowlin Wolf- The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions

A few years before he died, Howlin' Wolf went to London and recorded this album with some of the more popular british blues artists of the day... the band on this record is Howlin Wolf, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman. Awesome doesn't even start to describe it.

~Bang

Archived