Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to workout USC's Mark Sanchez

RWJ

Based on watching and rooting against them, Sanchez is slightly better than Booty but far worse than Leinart and Palmer. The guy they have coming in can end up being the best one out of the group.

Agree and disagree.

I wouldn't go near Sanchez in round one. It's easy to put up good numbers at USC -- the talent level is ridiculous.

But I think he has more upside than Leinart, who can't throw accurately with any velocity.

I think this is a smoke screen and/or due diligence but at the same.... well, it would confirm what my friend who is fairly connected to Redskins Park told me: that Cutler or not, there is a good chance JC isn't the starting qb on opening day.

Agree and disagree.

I wouldn't go near Sanchez in round one. It's easy to put up good numbers at USC -- the talent level is ridiculous.

But I think he has more upside than Leinart, who can't throw accurately with any velocity.

Leinart was ranked far higher than Sanchez by scouts coming out of school. In fact if he had left his junior year he would have likely been the 49ers 1st pick over Alex Smith at 1 overall. Most considered him as the next Palmer.

Leinart was ranked far higher than Sanchez by scouts coming out of school. In fact if he had left his junior year he would have likely been the 49ers 1st pick over Alex Smith at 1 overall. Most considered him as the next Palmer.

Yep. Because he was one of the best college qbs ever. I liked him a lot -- always delivered on the big stage.

But there were questions about his velocity and he hasn't answered them.

He actually reminds me of Brunell in a bizarre way. Prefers to throw floaters and to the flats. He has the ability to the throw the ball hard -- he just doesn't trust where it's going so he dumps the ball off.

The fact that he couldn't put up good numbers throwing to Fitz and Boldin is pretty damning. The Cards were far from explosive with Leinart under center.

Again, like you, I wouldn't go anywhere near Sanchez if I was the Skins. Complete crapshoot.

I like this for a lot of reasons.

Jason Campbell has shown himself to be a good quarterback, but not a great one. A lot of this can be put on the oline, change of coordinators, etc. But the fact is the Skins do not see him as hands down the best fit for our system and want to see what he can do in year two before giving him a long term deal.

He is not under a long term contract, so if he sucks next season he is probably not resigned. If he tears it up, he probably is resigned, unless its too much money for us to pay with our cap or he wants to leave.

Trading down with someone who wants to get Sanchez at 13 would be awesome. But I would not be mad if we drafted him at 13. For insurance if Campbell shows he is not a fit in this offense, for insurance if we are unable to resign Campbell if he tears it up. Sanchez would have a full year to learn the offense, and give us tons of flexibility. Having a problem like the Chargers did with Brees and Rivers would not bother me, and if we still arent sure we can franchise campbell in 2010 and try to trade him for picks or give it one more year.

I'm not in favor of picking Sanchez, but I could understand the thoughts behind it and wouldnt be upset by it.

I like this for a lot of reasons.

Jason Campbell has shown himself to be a good quarterback, but not a great one. A lot of this can be put on the oline, change of coordinators, etc. But the fact is the Skins do not see him as hands down the best fit for our system and want to see what he can do in year two before giving him a long term deal.

He is not under a long term contract, so if he sucks next season he is probably not resigned. If he tears it up, he probably is resigned, unless its too much money for us to pay with our cap or he wants to leave.

Trading down with someone who wants to get Sanchez at 13 would be awesome. But I would not be mad if we drafted him at 13. For insurance if Campbell shows he is not a fit in this offense, for insurance if we are unable to resign Campbell if he tears it up. Sanchez would have a full year to learn the offense, and give us tons of flexibility. Having a problem like the Chargers did with Brees and Rivers would not bother me, and if we still arent sure we can franchise campbell in 2010 and try to trade him for picks or give it one more year.

I'm not in favor of picking Sanchez, but I could understand the thoughts behind it and wouldnt be upset by it.

And you bring up good reasons as to why the Redskins would consider drafting Sanchez. All teams need two good quarterbacks, and Sanchez is a very talented one.

However, Zorn is on the hot seat, and some say that Cerrato is on the hot seat as well. That means they are not going to take a quarterback with this pick, because they have to be concerned about the future, and who they take this year has to help them this season. They are not in a position to worry about three years down the line- they are focused on keeping their jobs. That's why Sanchez is not going to happen.

If we don't seriously address our offensive line, it won't matter who our qb is.

We don't have a decent right tackle on our roster.

Dockery is the only linemen under 30 worth a damn. And he's actually a step down from a healthy Kendall.

We don't have one young prospect the coaching staff is excited about. We may have whiffed completely with Rinehart.

You can't treat the trenches like an afterthought or expect one big FA signing is going to solve all your woes. You need a plan.

If we draft sanchez, that would prove how poorly our FO is ran. I would be so upset with this pick it'd be ridiculous. First of all, we still have JC under contract, why not give him one last shot to see if he can do it? Secondly, there are FAR better qb's for the wco in next years draft, sam bradford and colt mccoy are far better WCO prospects than Sanchez. Also, we have way to many holes to fill with what little we have, our plan should be to trade back, pick up Oline and DE, then with the 3rd round get a LB. Then, come next year if JC doesn't work out we are in a good position, and I personally would not mind seeing colt brennan compete with either bradford or mccoy. This is CLEARLY their plan, we do not need to draft a QB with our first pick, that would pretty much be throwing away our season JUST so we can get rid of cambell... seems pretty ridiculous doesnt it?

you want to work out every possible player in case you want to trade for him or get him later in the future

Exactly! This is just business as usual. You want to look at every player with your own eyes rather rely on McShay and Kiper who have absolutely 0 experience in the NFL.

I really think sadly if Sanchez is there at #13 that we will pick him. We are doing all this trade work for Cutler, why would Vinny and Danny pass on Sanchez if he was there at 13?

Where is the evidence that we are doing any trade work for Cutler, either now or in the future. The only thing I've seen come out of the FO is Cerrato's statement that we weren't interested in Cutler. Which may or may not mean anything. But I haven't seen anything to indicate that we are interested either.

Thinking about it I wouldn't mind drafting him if he is there. The Chargers got more for Eli Manning then they would have for just the first pick.

Hell, maybe they'd even get a player to go with a pick. Just work out some cap numbers.

2007 sacked percentage for JC: 4.8%

for Todd Collins: 6.3%

JC, finishing 2-5 that season. Todd 4-0 (let's be honest, he gets credit for the Bears game)

In about 1/4 the pass attempts, Todd Collins had almost half the TD passes, including a game where neither QB could complete a damn thing consistently (the Giants Meadowlands game due to wind.) And he had no INTs. Jason had 11.

The line issue is overrated on this board. Yes, even the RT issue is. It's a problem but the biggest problem remains what's under C. You'll be amazed at how different everything looks--kinda like Brunell in 2004 vs. 2005 or any good Qb vs. Redskins QBs in the pocket since Brad Johnson.

2007 sacked percentage for JC: 4.8%

for Todd Collins: 6.3%

JC, finishing 2-5 that season. Todd 4-0 (let's be honest, he gets credit for the Bears game)

In about 1/4 the pass attempts, Todd Collins had almost half the TD passes, including a game where neither QB could complete a damn thing consistently (the Giants Meadowlands game due to wind.) And he had no INTs. Jason had 11.

The line issue is overrated on this board. Yes, even the RT issue is. It's a problem but the biggest problem remains what's under C. You'll be amazed at how different everything looks--kinda like Brunell in 2004 vs. 2005 or any good Qb vs. Redskins QBs in the pocket since Brad Johnson.

And once the line fell apart against Seattle, Todd didn't look so superstar anymore.

But no, let's ignore that once he faced pressure he performed piss-poorly. Why would we look at that? It's a fact that DOESN'T paint JC in a bad light...

And once the line fell apart against Seattle, Todd didn't look so superstar anymore.

But no, let's ignore that once he faced pressure he performed piss-poorly. Why would we look at that? It's a fact that DOESN'T paint JC in a bad light...

I love how everyone points to the Seattle game. No one beats Seattle on the road in the playoffs. The crowd noise makes every offensive linemen jump offsides. Still, getting in on every play, Collins led the Skins back -- if Cooley doesn't drop an easy pass, who knows how that season ends?

I don't like Cutler or Sanchez and I want to make excuses for JC. Really, really like the kid. But the Bengals game was the last straw for me. He was under no pressure that game and he still kept making all the same mistakes. Locking in on Moss, double-clutching, missing open receivers, throwing short on third and long. It was painful and he should have been yanked just to shake things up.

I love how everyone points to the Seattle game. No one beats Seattle on the road in the playoffs. The crowd noise makes every offensive linemen jump offsides. Still, getting in on every play, Collins led the Skins back -- if Cooley doesn't drop an easy pass, who knows how that season ends?

But the line still fell apart when faced with pressure. It sounds seemingly similar to this year.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Had Leigh Torrence blocked the pass, we woulda been 9-7, had the defense held in SF, we woulda been 10-6.

Yes, point out the Seattle game but ignore all the other evidence.

But point out Campbell's overall failures and then we get one pass vs. New Orleans as a rebuttal.

Please stop with that garbage.

Todd had us in position to win. Seattle pumps in crowd noise (I believe) and it's EXTRAORDINARILY difficult to win there but we had a chance. Chris needs to hold onto that ball and I think we win. By the skin of our teeth but I think we win. Our defense also let us down a bit when it counted but not wholly.

Collins still looked like he knew what he was doing more than I'd imagine Campbell would.

We still had a shot in the playoffs. When they bang on Campbell's drum we get blown to hell like we did vs. Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

But the line still fell apart when faced with pressure. It sounds seemingly similar to this year.

But yet Todd was sacked at a higher rate than Jason and made Offensive Player of the Month.

Which means he DID face pressure.

Or do you think Seattle was the only team that brought pressure?

And how does Jason respond to pressure, eh?

Yes, point out the Seattle game but ignore all the other evidence.

But point out Campbell's overall failures and then we get one pass vs. New Orleans as a rebuttal.

Please stop with that garbage.

Todd had us in position to win. Seattle pumps in crowd noise (I believe) and it's EXTRAORDINARILY difficult to win there but we had a chance. Chris needs to hold onto that ball and I think we win. By the skin of our teeth but I think we win. Our defense also let us down a bit when it counted but not wholly.

Collins still looked like he knew what he was doing more than I'd imagine Campbell would.

We still had a shot in the playoffs. When they bang on Campbell's drum we get blown to hell like we did vs. Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Look, I'm not gonna argue with a brick wall, but I find it absolutely hilarious that you "dont engage in those activities" and yet only aknowledge JC's long pass to Moss against NO as the ONLY argument for JC.

Archived