Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Griffin Still Ailing From the Last Few Seasons

return2glory

Redskins DT Cornelius Griffin recently had his shoulder examined by Dr. James Andrews.

Griffin has had problems with the shoulder over the last few seasons and is expected to be limited in team workouts next week. The Redskins are optimistic that he will be fully healthy by the summer.

The Redskins are optimistic that he will be fully healthy by the summer.

That's some kind of optimism - has he ever been fully healthy? He's been injury prone since he was with the Giants. Great player, but I really question the restructuring rather than outright release take a chance and then re-signing him to a much friendlier contract. I'll be shocked if he plays half a season, even in a rotational basis. Randy Thomas is the next guy. I hope he can rebound from his injuries, but I'm very skeptical. I'm more glad than ever that Wynn is back. He's durable and can play inside with Albert if need be.

Griff when healthy is a great DT. With Albert beside him it only makes things better. They should rest him untill the season and let him come back 100 percent. It's been 2 years since he's been fully healthy, and we all know Albert has only had 1 full season. Were going to need to rest him also.

Let me start off by saying that I love Griff and all the hard play he's done for us since leaving the Midgets and joining us. But I really hope that this isn't a situation of protecting the player before it becomes too late. Sometimes as an organization you have to be able to tell the player that his body just isn't what it used to be. This shoulder injury could cause further damage and I think he deserves better than that. :helmet:

Actually, with signing Haynesworth, the depth at DT has gotten pretty good.

Riiiight, just like how the depth of our defensive line was so great last year.

Depth is more than your starting lineup. If Haynesworth gets injured (which is very likely), what do our defensive tackles look like again?

Griff restructured, I think his new deal runs through 2014.

Then I look for Lorenzo Alexander to be gone this year, unless some rookie comes on or we keep more DTs this year. I can see us keeping our top 4 DTs and possibly a rookie. Then there's Carter. If we keep 9 DL, then there's a competition between Wynn, Alexander, Jackson, Wilson, Buzbee, and whoever we bring in.

But we're short of talent at the DE position, so its possible we keep 4 DTs and 5 DEs, with the fifth DE being a rookie.

I think Griffin might be a surprise preseason cut if he doesn't get healthy and/or Golston and Monty excell.

Or actually, maybe a PUP/IR candidate.

In order for Griff to be PUP or IR, he actually needs to be unable to practice, and right now he's on schedule to be able to practice soon.

I was asking earler about him being a possible preseason cut, but since he restructured, I don't see that happening. The cap hit will be too much.

Actually, with signing Haynesworth, the depth at DT has gotten pretty good.

I think I agree with you. I just hope that our young guys can live up to their potential, because I'd rather have Montgomery grow into a Haynesworth type player. I still expect to have Griff and Haynes miss a few games, and hopefully our young guns can keep up the slack.

Archived