Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Likely to be Undrafted Free Agent Prospects of Interest

J.Campbell17

As the draft is approaching and we are in the annual discussion of who to take in the draft I feel that some of us are forgetting about another key part to the success of a draft, The Undrafted Free Agents.

Many people are going to combat with me on this topic, saying that they are just worthless camp fodder, and actually, they are kind of correct. However, it is very much worth it to bring these guys in to see if they can show us something that the so called "Draft Experts" didn't see. I can give you some players that came to teams as UFA but made some sort of impact.

James Harrison

Willie Parker

Stephon Heyer

Marcus Mason

Antonio Gates

Jeff Saturday

There are some darn good players on that list, hopefully Heyer can be one of them(and Mason too).

With all this being said, who would you like the Skins to pursue that will likely be an UFA?

One of mine would be Edwin Williams, the Center from Maryland.

Some info,

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/edwin-williams?id=81881#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Analysis Positives: Durable, high-effort center. Good initial quickness off the snap. Good hand placement and flashes the lateral quickness to stay square to the defender. Alert. Makes the line calls and is quick to pick up unexpected blitzes. Good initial pop and can turn the defender to create a hole. Shows some agility as a run blocker. Can move in space and block at the second level and on screens. Comfortable snapping out of the shotgun. High character guy. Competitive with a good work ethic; always hustling and positive-thinking leader.

Negatives: Relies on his initial foot quickness to turn defenders in the running game, but struggles to sustain. Only phone booth quickness. Quickly tires and lacks straight-line speed. Lunges at defenders at the second level, too often getting just a piece of them. Good initial pop as a pass blocker, but can be wrestled to the ground. High effort, but is a limited athlete who can be beaten by quicker and stronger defensive tackles.

------------

Williams looks to be a hard worker and it wouldn't hurt us at all to bring him in so Buges can take a look at him.

Who else do you think the Skins should go for?

I think people give University of Maryland players the benefit of the doubt around here more than they should. Whatever happened to Andrew Crummey? I thought he was supposed to be a diamond in the rough as well.

edit: Mason and Heyer don't belong on that list with the rest of those players, those are pro bowl caliber guys.

When it comes to UDFAs, I like to look for players from Div.II and Div.III schools that have put up impressive numbers. These are the players, I think have potential but have never been able to display it on the Div.I level. I give them a chance.:)

I think people give University of Maryland players the benefit of the doubt around here more than they should. Whatever happened to Andrew Crummey? I thought he was supposed to be a diamond in the rough as well.

edit: Mason and Heyer don't belong on that list with the rest of those players, those are pro bowl caliber guys.

We had him, but somehow he was picked up by the SD Chargers last I heard.:(

Crummey was solid enough to be picked up off the Skins practice squad by the Bengals. I would have rather kept him over Geisinger. However, as for Edwin Williams he doesn't seem to have the motor it takes to play an entire game in the NFL and he doesn't possess the speed either, so I'll pass.

When it comes to UDFAs, I like to look for players from Div.II and Div.III schools that have put up impressive numbers. These are the players, I think have potential but have never been able to display it on the Div.I level. I give them a chance.:)

Just like Chad Rinehart. They should have put him in no matter how he was "coming along." We still don't know what he's capable of.

Interesting idea for a thread. I like it alot dude.

Thanks for pointing out Edwin Williams. Im not a huge college fan so I cant be of much help here but Im looking foward to seeing people's contributions.

Maybe the return guy from JMU Scotty Mcgee, but hes a junior I believe

Crummey was solid enough to be picked up off the Skins practice squad by the Bengals. I would have rather kept him over Geisinger. However, as for Edwin Williams he doesn't seem to have the motor it takes to play an entire game in the NFL and he doesn't possess the speed either, so I'll pass.

Yeah I really wanted Crummey on the roster. As for Williams, I'm still saying give him a shot since it really can't hurt to bring guys like him in, that's the great part about UFA.

Yeah I really wanted Crummey on the roster. As for Williams, I'm still saying give him a shot since it really can't hurt to bring guys like him in, that's the great part about UFA.

I don't disagree about bringing players like him in...I think we need to get much younger along the o-line, and I would rather see the Skins draft a C like Eric Wood who can play both center, guard, and a little tackle.

I don't disagree about bringing players like him in...I think we need to get much younger along the o-line, and I would rather see the Skins draft a C like Eric Wood who can play both center, guard, and a little tackle.

Like Wood alot and if he slipped past the 2nd and we were able to get him in the 3rd he'd be a steal.

If I recall correctly, they always bring in a bunch of Maryland players for a special try-out at some point every year. There will be several chances for the Terp guys to make the team.

Really? I never knew that. That's pretty cool. Maybe they will bring in Isiah Williams as a Practice squadder to replace Thrash when he's done.

Edwin Williams will be drafted. As high as the 4th round, as for true UDFA projections a guy I like is Kevin Akins from BC. He could be a real special teams stud. He has played OLB/CB/and safety on the collegiate level but I think his best fit is at OLB. He's working out at safety though. Never bad though to have a guy who can cover 3 positions need be, as well as be a good special teams performer.

Another guy to consider is Sam Swank to compete with Suisham. Prior to injury he is very accurate from close in and also is valueble as he can put as well. A teammate of his D.J. Boldin brother of Anquan will be an interesting undrafted player. He's bulit like a RB but plays WR, but he can provide as a returner and 3rd down RB as well as slot receiver.

Ogletree out of Virginia is interesting. He is big and fast but I doubt he goes undrafted.

Bernard Scott is interesting. More off field issues than most players you will see but he seems to have got things back together and is an extremely talented player. Javarris Williams is another guy who is huge and strong. Tony Dixon is another back who is like Tyrell Sutton and could be a 3rd down back. Gartrell Johnson is an interesting power back.

Another guy I like is Utah QB Brian Johnson. He isn't on anyone's radar but he was a top 10 Heisman finalist this year and definitely better than say Brad Banks. He is athletic, has a gun, and coming from that Spread offense I like how his skill set transfers into a WCO. Would love him as a practice squad developmental QB.

Cedric Dockery would be a nice guy to bring in for depth at guard.

Maurice Crum Jr. , is another guy I like who can really cover the field. Pass down specialty backer.

Ellis Lankster is a CB from WVU who wasn't impressive this season but looked good at the senior bowl.

im glad you speak, i wish you were a dog. Then the i found crap and was first to point would make sense. Heyer is a good pickup. You probley wouldn't want vernon davis either huh? A undrafted freeagent that can start and play against some of the best DEs. No he didnt make the probowl, but he was still played better than other STARTING tackles. so you tell me things are cool because their cool. Stay in the box.:chair:

JMU's QB from the past few years Rodney Landers is a pretty athletic guy. He led their run-heavy spread style offense--basically a less talented Pat White. I don't what he would play in the NFL, but considering he's a local kid (went to high school in VA Beach, played for JMU) the Skins could consider bringing him to try him out as that 3rd RB/scatback we're looking for. He might be a decent utility guy, don't know if he can catch or not. JMU was pretty successful under him and he went down with an injury during the national semi-final they lost to Montana this past season (I'm pretty sure he's healthy now).

Stats from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=162173

-Dudley Award winner, which goes to best player in ALL D1 VA colleges (BCS and FCS schools, so include players from Tech, UVA, etc.)

-First runner-up for Walter Payton Award, which goes to best player in all D1-AA/FCS schools in nation.

edit: I don't go to JMU, just from H'burg.

im glad you speak, i wish you were a dog. Then the i found crap and was first to point would make sense. Heyer is a good pickup. You probley wouldn't want vernon davis either huh? A undrafted freeagent that can start and play against some of the best DEs. No he didnt make the probowl, but he was still played better than other STARTING tackles. so you tell me things are cool because their cool. Stay in the box.:chair:

I heard the weed in Colorado was pretty good, but damn dude.

And props to Dmac#5 who definitely should have started this thread. Good follow-up info on an interesting topic.

I'm personally tired of hearing about all these UMD scrubs and how they will dominate at the next level. No disrespect to Terps football, but there are only 8 to 10 guys in the league from UMD who are doing anything at all at the next level. (That's being generous and you can look for yourself)

http://www.mdgridiron.umd.edu/terps/TerpsInTheNFL.html

Heyer is not one of them and never will be. Just because you go to Byrd Stadium and watch these guys dominate against Duke and Virginia doesn't mean they are ready for the NFL.

Edwin Williams will be drafted. As high as the 4th round, as for true UDFA projections a guy I like is Kevin Akins from BC. He could be a real special teams stud. He has played OLB/CB/and safety on the collegiate level but I think his best fit is at OLB. He's working out at safety though. Never bad though to have a guy who can cover 3 positions need be, as well as be a good special teams performer.

Another guy to consider is Sam Swank to compete with Suisham. Prior to injury he is very accurate from close in and also is valueble as he can put as well. A teammate of his D.J. Boldin brother of Anquan will be an interesting undrafted player. He's bulit like a RB but plays WR, but he can provide as a returner and 3rd down RB as well as slot receiver.

Ogletree out of Virginia is interesting. He is big and fast but I doubt he goes undrafted.

Bernard Scott is interesting. More off field issues than most players you will see but he seems to have got things back together and is an extremely talented player. Javarris Williams is another guy who is huge and strong. Tony Dixon is another back who is like Tyrell Sutton and could be a 3rd down back. Gartrell Johnson is an interesting power back.

Another guy I like is Utah QB Brian Johnson. He isn't on anyone's radar but he was a top 10 Heisman finalist this year and definitely better than say Brad Banks. He is athletic, has a gun, and coming from that Spread offense I like how his skill set transfers into a WCO. Would love him as a practice squad developmental QB.

Maurice Crum Jr. , is another guy I like who can really cover the field. Pass down specialty backer.

Ellis Lankster is a CB from WVU who wasn't impressive this season but looked good at the senior bowl.

Interesting read

Dude, thanks a bunch for your input! Although Akins seems to be a little too small for OLB don't you think? He is about 218 pounds and I think he could be better suited for CB depth.

I'm with you on Dockery but he seems to be projected as a 5-6 rounder. I hope we can snag him though if he is still there when we pick in the 6th round.

LDLU, I'm sorry if the Maryland love is bugging you but if we do bring in a bunch of Maryland players every year for a tryout, it is worth it to see which one can make an impact. Stephon Heyer will get better, that can be guaranteed.

Also Dmac, what do you think about Jaimie Thomas, the guard from Maryland? Do you think we could take a chance on him if Dockery is gone?

Also, we can take a look at Roger Allen, the guard from Missouri Western.

If you want to build through the draft, a UDFA or two (along with a late pick) MUST work out, not necessarily be a top caliber player, but at least become a contributor for a couple of years. Also, for every early round bust, you will need to find someone who becomes a first or, at least, a second tier guy. Finally, with FA and the Cap, you must be able to say see you and be confident you didn't hurt overall team performance when a guy asks for a lot of money. I mean, if we had had real depth on the o-line a couple of years ago, we'd not have had the Duckett fiasco in '06 or the Kendell situation in '07.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/14/trio-of-big-ten-schools-hold-pro-days/

Jason Williams is the interesting one from that. Small school olb prospect who, at 241 pounds, ran a 4.44. I've seen him listed as going in the 4th-6th round. Not really an undrafted free agent but a late round prospect I wouldn't mind us drafting. No, he probably couldn't start his first year but it would be good depth for our team and a guy we could plug in on coverage teams.

Another guy I like is Nick Reed. He's currently projected as a 7th rounder but the guy had 13 sacks this year and 12 sacks last year. He's only 245 pounds but ran a 4.71, 24 bench reps, 4.28 20 yard shuttle and 6.96 3 cone drill. Meanwhile, Aaron Maybin, a 1st rounder, had 12 sacks this year and 4 last year to go along with weighing in at 249, running a 4.79, 22 bench reps, 4.38 20 yard shuttle, and 7.50 3 cone drill. I just don't know how a guy with greater production and similar athleticism is a 7th rounder. I'd much rather we spent a pick on him in the 7th than draft Maybin in the 1st.

JMU's QB from the past few years Rodney Landers is a pretty athletic guy. He led their run-heavy spread style offense--basically a less talented Pat White. I don't what he would play in the NFL, but considering he's a local kid (went to high school in VA Beach, played for JMU) the Skins could consider bringing him to try him out as that 3rd RB/scatback we're looking for. He might be a decent utility guy, don't know if he can catch or not. JMU was pretty successful under him and he went down with an injury during the national semi-final they lost to Montana this past season (I'm pretty sure he's healthy now).

I've liked the idea of bringing in Landers for a while, but he's definitely not quick enough to be a scat back. He's a fairly big strong kid (6-1, 220 lbs) who was real tough to bring down in the open field when he ran at the QB position. I think he's very compatible to Joshua Cribbs (6-1, 215 lbs) of the Browns. A big, tough, athletic QB who could probably make an impact with some team via special teams his first year out.

I've liked the idea of bringing in Landers for a while, but he's definitely not quick enough to be a scat back. He's a fairly big strong kid (6-1, 220 lbs) who was real tough to bring down in the open field when he ran at the QB position. I think he's very compatible to Joshua Cribbs (6-1, 215 lbs) of the Browns. A big, tough, athletic QB who could probably make an impact with some team via special teams his first year out.

Cribbs is an excellent comparison to Landers as far as skill set, and one that's been mentioned on the JMU boards too. He could go that route in the NFL or develope along the lines of Michael Robinson for the Niners. Either way, Landers has the talent to play at the next level, it's a matter of finding a position and system he fits into. Definitely worth a look as an UDFA.

I heard the weed in Colorado was pretty good, but damn dude.

And props to Dmac#5 who definitely should have started this thread. Good follow-up info on an interesting topic.

I'm personally tired of hearing about all these UMD scrubs and how they will dominate at the next level. No disrespect to Terps football, but there are only 8 to 10 guys in the league from UMD who are doing anything at all at the next level. (That's being generous and you can look for yourself)

http://www.mdgridiron.umd.edu/terps/TerpsInTheNFL.html

Heyer is not one of them and never will be. Just because you go to Byrd Stadium and watch these guys dominate against Duke and Virginia doesn't mean they are ready for the NFL.

lol, thank you. now i dont have to say something about that.

I posted this in another thread but someone who i think we should look at is Ryan Shuman the C from VT. I know he is a swing guy at G/C. His dad is a legendary football coach @ Fork Union Military Academy, and has sent A LOT of guys to the NFL. Hes got the football I.Q. and would be an upgrade over Geis. I am admittantly biased bc. I knew him and his dad years back. But living half way across the country could rarely see a VT game. Any of you local guys got any input on him? MD/UVA/VT/etc.

after doing a little more research i found this nice blurb on draftboard insider....

"Virginia Tech OL Ryan Shuman took on BC DT B.J. Raji and then teammate DT Ron Brace on successive snaps; and, perhaps being a bit more familiar with the Eagles, put each of them down to the turf. "

Ive ssen him rated anywhere from the #7 to the #19 center prospect in the draft. Def. a later round or undrafted guy.

Strengths

Solid in all phases. Fights hard in the running game. Good hand fighter. Good shotgun snapper. Very reliable. Lays people out on the second level if they don't see him coming. Rocked back, but recovers and stalemates after absorbing the initial blow. Smart and dedicated.

Weaknesses

Not overly developed yet physically. Needs to add 10-15 pounds of muscle mass. Not a technique guy in pass pro yet. A bit of a finesse player in that aspect. Solid enough in the run game, but will never be a destroyer type. Decent fighter.

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=3324

UFAs can be so hard to gauge. They can be great and out of now where people or they can be total and complete failures. Sure you can get James Harrison, but you could also get players like Mike ESPY. Sure they are good practice squad players, but that is all they ever amount to. I do like Mason and wished that he had made this team, but because he couldn't block all that well, it really sealed his fate. I hope that he does well for some other team, just not in the NFC east.

Archived