Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sun-Sentinel: Donte Stallworth Involved In Fatal Accident

drowland

Point being, agree with it or disagree with it, the law is the law and it's there for a reason.

You may have, or rather think you have, a much higher alcohol tolerance level than the law suggests, but if you drink over that limit, regardless, and get behind a wheel, your in control of a lethal weapon, against what the law say's, and should be treated as such.

And yes, doubtless many of us are hypocrits, both as regards alcohol and using a 'phone while driving. I know I should use a hands free set, but I still take calls, and worse, text at times.

Does this make it right to do it? HELL NO.

But I'm a grown adult, and understand the consequences if I injured someone or worse, and would expect the full force of the law to come down on my reckless ass.

Hail.

your point is well taken Gibbs...

Being as we studied this in law enforcement....we did those tests where you drink shot for shot, and take breathalyzers every half hour to watch how your BAC level goes up. Those of us who stayed sober, also had the "drinkers" do field sobriety tests like walking the line, one leg stand and the Gaze Nystagmus (where they check your eye movement).

What people don't realize, is that the BAC number wasn't just pulled from a hat...there have been studies upon studies to determine at what point your body reaction time decreases to apoint that is dangerous.

I was one of the "drinkers" during one of the exercises, and can tell you that me at .08...I felt very drunk. however, a guy might be .08 and feel ok. Just because you "feel fine" doesn't mean that your body's reaction time hasn't decreased. You just have a higher tolerance and don't notice it. And while you may not be swerving all over the road, or driving like a "mad man", doesn't mean that you aren't impaired.

IF Donte's BAC was really .12 (as the news reports suggest), then his impairment level was well beyond what the scientific experts have deemed "a limit too dangerous". And even IF the deceased really did "jump in the road", Donte's impairment would have prevented him from reacting to it the way he would sober.

Negligence is as punishable as intent or recklessness. We just have different lenght of sentences for different crimes because of that. If you intentionally kill someone that is murder, and you will likely serve a long sentence. If you recklessly or negligently kill someone, that is typically labeled manslaughter and you typically will only serve a few years, if that.

Donte was negligent imo...he chose to drive after drinking, when he could easily afford to hire a driver, let alone a taxi or calll a friend. He will now pay the consequences for such negligence.

Being as we studied this in law enforcement....we did those tests where you drink shot for shot, and take breathalyzers every half hour to watch how your BAC level goes up. Those of us who stayed sober, also had the "drinkers" do field sobriety tests like walking the line, one leg stand and the Gaze Nystagmus (where they check your eye movement).

What people don't realize, is that the BAC number wasn't just pulled from a hat...there have been studies upon studies to determine at what point your body reaction time decreases to apoint that is dangerous.

I was one of the "drinkers" during one of the exercises, and can tell you that me at .08...I felt very drunk. however, a guy might be .08 and feel ok. Just because you "feel fine" doesn't mean that your body's reaction time hasn't decreased. You just have a higher tolerance and don't notice it. And while you may not be swerving all over the road, or driving like a "mad man", doesn't mean that you aren't impaired.

IF Donte's BAC was really .12 (as the news reports suggest), then his impairment level was well beyond what the scientific experts have deemed "a limit too dangerous". And even IF the deceased really did "jump in the road", Donte's impairment would have prevented him from reacting to it the way he would sober.

Negligence is as punishable as intent or recklessness. We just have different lenght of sentences for different crimes because of that. If you intentionally kill someone that is murder, and you will likely serve a long sentence. If you recklessly or negligently kill someone, that is typically labeled manslaughter and you typically will only serve a few years, if that.

Donte was negligent imo...he chose to drive after drinking, when he could easily afford to hire a driver, let alone a taxi or calll a friend. He will now pay the consequences for such negligence.

Interesting. He'll still do less time than Michael Vick.

/debate

surprised no more response to the update....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f6e6cc&template=without-video&confirm=true

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth said he flashed his car's headlights to warn a pedestrian before fatally striking the man in Miami Beach earlier this month, according to a report released by police.

The report released Tuesday also said the pedestrian, 59-year-old Mario Reyes, wasn't in a crosswalk when Stallworth's Bentley hit him.

According to the report, Stallworth told officers that he flashed his lights to try to warn Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after getting off work around 7:15 a.m. March 14.

Police said Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40-mph zone. They are investigating whether alcohol played a role in the accident. No charges have been filed against Stallworth pending the outcome of blood tests.

------------

That doesn't make sense, if he was going 50mph- AT the time he hit him- saw the guy enough to flash his lights at him...so how come he couldn't come to a stop or swerve enough?

Regardless of not being in the crosswalk, per laws (assuming Fl has same law as here), any pedestrian in the street has the right of way. He was speeding, (allegedly), so that in of itself can be cause for negligence, therefore vehicular homicide. You don't need to be drunk to be convicted of that. But if the test results do come out that he was over the limit, speeding....well, I would imagine jail time.

Archived