Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KFFL: Skins to work out Clay Matthews

SkinsNorth

Not sure if anyone remembers his father (Clay Sr.), but he played 19 seasons in the NFL at LB, and went to four pro bowls. Also, Clay Sr.'s brother Bruce was a standout center for the Oilers (and Titans), who played 17 years in the league and made 14 PRO BOWLS.

This guy Clay Jr. has some serious football genes running through those veigns.

I'm a big fan of Matthews and Maualuga and would be happy with either at #13. Even though some consider Matthews a reach at #13 I don't think he would be when you consider that he was a walk-on/special teamer at USC and went on to do great things there.

IMO we don't "work-out" enough guys. I don't remember how many guys we worked out last year but it didn't seem like enough. We should be working out some guys that are projected to go before our pick and some that are projected to go later in the round. Anything to entice teams to trade up while also having a solid understanding of what talent is available at pick 13.

Yuck.

A couple years ago, Ohio State had a bad ass linebacker named AJ Hawk. Hawk was a lot like Maualuga. Hawk went early like Maualuga will. Because Hawk was so good, his linebacking corps mate was drafted in the 1st as well. Despite the fact his corps mate was clearly riding on the coattails of the more dominant Hawk, the mate was still drafted early. The drafting team was also intrigued because the corps mate was the son of a former NFL stud. That facts caused them to overlook the fact that the player's production was a result of Hawk's dominance. Of course, once lined up without Hawk, the player struggled.

I don't want Matthews because I don't want a Bobby Carpenter.

From the sports talk shows up here in NE, I'm hearing that the Pats really want this kid so I think this is a great move for the Skins to show an interest in Matthews if nothing else but to entice the Pats to want to trade up with the Skins to get him.

...And to those who say "the Pats would NEVER trade up to get this guy at 13", let me remind you that the Pats are the team who spent a 1st round pick on an O-lineman named Logan Mankins in the first round who most experts considered 2nd round material and that worked out pretty well for them. Point being, the Pats trust their scouting and if they like someone, they will got get that player.

Good points. Smart on our part if that's why we're doing this workout.

Yuck.

A couple years ago, Ohio State had a bad ass linebacker named AJ Hawk. Hawk was a lot like Maualuga. Hawk went early like Maualuga will. Because Hawk was so good, his linebacking corps mate was drafted in the 1st as well. Despite the fact his corps mate was clearly riding on the coattails of the more dominant Hawk, the mate was still drafted early. The drafting team was also intrigued because the corps mate was the son of a former NFL stud. That facts caused them to overlook the fact that the player's production was a result of Hawk's dominance. Of course, once lined up without Hawk, the player struggled.

I don't want Matthews because I don't want a Bobby Carpenter.

Clay Matthew isn't riding on the coattails of anyone.

And neither is Brian Cushing for that matter.

From the sports talk shows up here in NE, I'm hearing that the Pats really want this kid so I think this is a great move for the Skins to show an interest in Matthews if nothing else but to entice the Pats to want to trade up with the Skins to get him.

...And to those who say "the Pats would NEVER trade up to get this guy at 13", let me remind you that the Pats are the team who spent a 1st round pick on an O-lineman named Logan Mankins in the first round who most experts considered 2nd round material and that worked out pretty well for them. Point being, the Pats trust their scouting and if they like someone, they will got get that player.

I was under the impression NE traded up to grab Jerod Mayo last year?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/clay-matthews?id=80431#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

:rubeyes::yikes::lift:

Overview

While teammates Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing certainly earned more attention throughout their respective careers, it is the former walk-on Matthews Jr. who some scouts feel ultimately could be the best of the bunch. Considering he came to USC as a 166-pound linebacker and tight end with only Idaho offering him a D-I scholarship, his rise to stardom has been remarkable.

A special teams standout early in his career, Matthews didn't emerge as a starter until three games into his senior campaign. Showing burst off the snap as a hybrid defensive end and surprising fluidity and instincts in coverage, Matthews posted 56 tackles and finished third on the team in tackles for loss (9.5) and second in sacks (4.5).

A strong performance at the Senior Bowl had scouts buzzing about his upside, especially considering his family's gridiron success. Considering he has only started 10 games over his career, there isn't a prospect in the country who can match Matthews' meteoric rise up draft boards this year.

High School

Prepped at Agoura (Calif.) High.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Analysis

Positives: Ascending player who may be just scratching the surface of his potential. Well-built athlete whose dedication in the weight-room is obvious in his physique. Reliable open-field tackler. Versatile defender who flashes as a natural pass rusher off the edge. Good speed upfield and has the balance and burst to redirect his rush. Good initial hand punch to pop the blocker and disengage. Good effort and speed in pursuit. Instinctive defender who played well in space as a traditional linebacker. Excellent special teams player. Twice named co-special teams player of the year (2005, 2006). Excellent bloodlines. Father, Clay, played 19 seasons at linebacker and made the Pro Bowl four times. Uncle, Bruce, made the Pro Bowl 14 times and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007. Grandfather, also named Clay, played for the 49ers in the 1950s. Pac-10 Academic All-American with a 3.06 GPA in international relations.

Negatives: Has less than a full season as a starter and only 10 career starts -- all in 2008. Surrounded by so much talent at USC that holes in his game could have been disguised. Lacks the bulk to remain at defensive end. Prefers to run around blocks rather than take them on. While he improved as the year went on, remains a work in progress in disengaging from blocks. Suffered broken left thumb against Nebraska, then fractured a metacarpal later in season, then had to have surgery after the bowl game as it did not heal properly.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

Prefers to run around blocks rather than take them on. While he improved as the year went on, remains a work in progress in disengaging from blocks.

^^^that part of the scouting report kinda concerns me, as does his last of starting time. if we do get him, hopefully its after trading back because he seems like too much of a reach at 13

Archived