Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Alternate Lions Trade

method man

Considering how they are in need of impact players, maybe they are willing to trade their 2nd and both of their 3rds for #13. That way, we can rack up 4 day 1 picks. This might be the most prudent course of action considering the number of holes we have. There is a lot of decent 2nd/3rd round talent in this draft with guys like Jarron Gilbert, Connor Barwin, Marcus Freeman, and Jamon Meredith, guys we can really use.

I can envision us exchanging first round picks with either the Lions or Vikings. I certainly hope the FO use that pick for a decent DE and in the second round, a SLB.

Let's see Vinny's salesman approach to this and convince them that both sides will win at this no matter what the NFL pick value chart says. Use Atlanta's 2008 draft trade as an example. Detroit can use their 1st overall on an Olineman, then use the 13th pick to draft a franchise QB.

Already mentioned, the Jets (17), da Bears (18), MAYBE Buccs (19)/ Vikings (22) may draft Matthew Stafford or Mark 'Vinnie Chase' Sanchez.

Skins can still draft an OT with the 20th pick and a 1st round player that stumbled in the second. Maybe trade #33 for an extra pick in the 3rd (mid/lower 2nd & mid/lower 3rd round).

I don't see a team before the skins drafting a QB; not even the 49'ers. Michael Singletary said he wanted to run the ball more (http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/12/31/706329/mike-singletary-end-of-sea). Shaun Hill was ok, Alex Smith restructured, and a decent number of Vet QB's are free agents. I see Tim Tebow here next year

Go get'em Vinny!

NFL draft-pick value chart

Redskins

#13 = 1,150

Detriot

#20 = 850

#33 = 580

Total: 1,430

I think we would have a better chance trading our 13,141,131 to New England for 34,47,89,119,151 the numbers do match up well. This would help us shore up alot of holes on our this team.

13=1150,119=35.5,173=22.5: total points=1212

34=560,47=430,89=145,119=56,151=41: Total points=1232

You said it yourself, they are in desperate need for impact players. There is no way they are going to give up three or four first day picks.

i know i'm being a smart@ss but there are only two rounds the first day this year... sorry it was just annoyimg me how a bunch of peeps are saying 3rd rounders are first day picks...

If they have any sense at all in Detroit, they'll be patient and not try to rebuild their excuse of a football team in one year. Rebuilding is a multi-year task, unless you are good and lucky like Parcells with the Dolphins last year. I have the impression that the Lions are neither even with Millen gone.

0-16 doesnt just mean holes. COACHING has alot to do w/ that and Marinelli just SUCKED. 1 years draft aint gonna turn it around. They may like that senario excluding #20 in a trade. Whats wrong with #1, #13, #20 then getting some projests in day 2. INTERESTING. Im cool with that.

One year draft won't change what happened to that 0-16 season,but it changes the future from that point. Regardless, they need to completely rebuild their team and you don't do that by trading more picks for less picks. They are most likely going to change directions and be completely conservative for the next few years. Coaching/Management ASIDE. They need young talent.

I don't care what the draft chart says, no team, particulary an 0-16 team, would trade 3 picks in the top 3 rounds for a #13.

However, I wouldn't mind trading our 4 picks for their #20 and #33. Orakpo will be gone anyway, and we can still get a starting caliber RT and DE/LB. We don't need a 5th and 6th rounder anyway... what are we gonna use that on, another undersized D-lineman? Another backup guard? A 3rd punter?

Psh. Grab ourselves two starters and call it a day. We can still make another FA signing if need be.

I don't care what the draft chart says, no team, particulary an 0-16 team, would trade 3 picks in the top 3 rounds for a #13.

However, I wouldn't mind trading our 4 picks for their #20 and #33. Orakpo will be gone anyway, and we can still get a starting caliber RT and DE/LB. We don't need a 5th and 6th rounder anyway... what are we gonna use that on, another undersized D-lineman? Another backup guard? A 3rd punter?

Psh. Grab ourselves two starters and call it a day. We can still make another FA signing if need be.

We still need at least one LDE, a pass rushing DE, a couple linebackers, and a right tackle. We also could really use a young center prospect, another corner (I don't trust Smoot or Tryon), a kicker, and a punter. 4 picks does not cut it, which is why advocate trading down.

We still need at least one LDE, a pass rushing DE, a couple linebackers, and a right tackle. We also could really use a young center prospect, another corner (I don't trust Smoot or Tryon), a kicker, and a punter. 4 picks does not cut it, which is why advocate trading down.

We're not going to fill all our holes this offseason. Between this one and next, when we have a full draft and a lot of cap $$ off the books, we should get it mostly done.

We already have a kicker and TWO punters. We've made our bed there.

We can get by with Tryon as the 4th CB. We have 4 good safeties if we have issues. If theres an injury, well sign someone mid season.

As for RT, DE, and LB... we just don't have all the resources to get it done this year. BUT if we have two picks in the top 33, we can solve two of them.

Otherwise, we risk busting on a #13 on someone like Smith/Oher... we take a less than stellar pick in the 3rd, and lets be honest... 5th and 6th round picks are going to be depth guys, if they even make the team. We need STARTERS, not depth. We could get two starters if we could finagle such a trade.

If we don't get someone to trade down with I wouldn't be surprised to see us select Sanchez, if he's still there at #13 and then trade him to the Jets or Bucs who desperately need a QB in this year's draft. Thoughts?

We're not going to fill all our holes this offseason. Between this one and next, when we have a full draft and a lot of cap $$ off the books, we should get it mostly done.

We already have a kicker and TWO punters. We've made our bed there.

We can get by with Tryon as the 4th CB. We have 4 good safeties if we have issues. If theres an injury, well sign someone mid season.

As for RT, DE, and LB... we just don't have all the resources to get it done this year. BUT if we have two picks in the top 33, we can solve two of them.

Otherwise, we risk busting on a #13 on someone like Smith/Oher... we take a less than stellar pick in the 3rd, and lets be honest... 5th and 6th round picks are going to be depth guys, if they even make the team. We need STARTERS, not depth. We could get two starters if we could finagle such a trade.

Mid round draft picks are how Super Bowl teams are built. You saw it last year with the Giants making use of guys like Bradshaw, Boss, Tuck, and Alford all the way a SB. What you have to understand is that this is the deepest draft in a long time, because everyone came out this year as they are worried about how they are going to be affected by the new CBA.

If we have a 2nd round pick, 3 3rd round picks, a 5th, and a 6th, we can land at least 2 impact players. With that 2nd round pick basically being a first, we are assured of getting a very good player there.

If we don't get someone to trade down with I wouldn't be surprised to see us select Sanchez, if he's still there at #13 and then trade him to the Jets or Bucs who desperately need a QB in this year's draft. Thoughts?

it has been done, but it's generally only done when numbers can't be made to work and times running out.

it has been done, but it's generally only done when numbers can't be made to work and times running out.

talking about all these potential trades makes me wonder, suppose we do get a second round pick.

In which order would the positions we need be most effectively addressed?

I say OT, then DE then LB in the third

Mid round draft picks are how Super Bowl teams are built. You saw it last year with the Giants making use of guys like Bradshaw, Boss, Tuck, and Alford all the way a SB. What you have to understand is that this is the deepest draft in a long time, because everyone came out this year as they are worried about how they are going to be affected by the new CBA.

If we have a 2nd round pick, 3 3rd round picks, a 5th, and a 6th, we can land at least 2 impact players. With that 2nd round pick basically being a first, we are assured of getting a very good player there.

If that was our draft, that would be fine... but again, Detroit (nor anyone) will give up a 2nd and two 3rds for a #13. And we haven't had the best track record in the draft... Id have more faith in us landing two starters in the top 33 than crapshooting on 3rd round and later.

Archived