Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Oher's combine results with other OT

hitmandm

I am afraid to TK, but I think this analysis desereves its own thread. Well see if my NNT body lasts long. But I found this on a 49ers website that describes the OLTs combine performance. I found it interesting analysis and comparison of the OLTs from a negative Oher poster.

Keep in mind, Oher played very well this year against good DEs. Gametape fellas.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=118940&start=0

So much stuff pouring in from the combine, that it is making my head spin. I'll try to write down some of the key points in some form of brevity.

First, this has not been a good start at the combine for Michael Oher. At the weigh-in, Oher measured at 6'4", a bit shorter than expected. This height is right on the border of being too short to play OT in the NFL. Teams will often move players at that height inside to play guard. While Andre Smith also came in at 6'4", the difference in their arm length was profound. Smith's arms were 35 3/8", while Oher's arms was 33 1/2", one of the shortest of the group of OT's at the combine. He then lifted the bar only 21 times at 225, which was a poor number for a first round prospect. Add together concerns over Oher's work ethic, and background, we could see a substantial drop if his forty time and workouts do not exceed expectations. I do not believe Oher is a top 10 prospect at all anymore, and think he fits into the 15-20 pick area.

Second, Jason Smith has to be the odds-on favorite to the number one selection after today. Smith came in at 6'5, 309, and pumped up the bar 33 times at 225. He seems to have all the momentum on his side right now. The only question will be if he can play well in a three point stance in the position drills.

Eugene Monroe seems to be right behind J. Smith, and appears to be a top 5 prospect. Andre Smith may be slipping a bit. He will not work out at the combine, which irritates scouts and coaches, and seems to be a bit out of shape, according to reports. Not the way you want to come across to the guys looking to select you. I expect the Jags to pick him up at number 8.

One of my top interior linemen in the draft, Eric Wood of Louisville, continues to impress. He measured in at 6'4", 310 pounds, has nearly 34" arms, and big hands. Wood then lifted the bar 30 times. A great combination of measurables, and a guy to seriously consider for the LG position with the Niners' third round draft choice. Played very well in the Senior Bowl game.

Michael Crabtree only measured in at 6'1 1/4", which was a shock. However, the 34+" arms helps make up the difference in the shorter than expected height. Keep an eye on Southern Miss TE Shawn Nelson, who had an outstanding Senior Bowl week. He measured in at 6'5", 240, has long arms at 34 1/2", and will reportedly run in the 4.4's, according to Tom Shaw, one of the combine prep gurus. Shaw is probably the best in the business, and is usually correct.

I am scratching the surface, and there will be much more tomorrow.

Jason Smith has to be the odds-on favorite to the number one selection after today. Smith came in at 6'5, 309, and pumped up the bar 33 times at 225. He seems to have all the momentum on his side right now. The only question will be if he can play well in a three point stance in the position drills.

Mayock was questioning his lower body strength and agility - maybe it was Casserly actually. He feels there is no true top first grade OT in this draft.

I like William Beatty and hope we snag him.

One of my top interior linemen in the draft, Eric Wood of Louisville, continues to impress. He measured in at 6'4", 310 pounds, has nearly 34" arms, and big hands. Wood then lifted the bar 30 times. A great combination of measurables, and a guy to seriously consider for the LG position with the Niners' third round draft choice. Played very well in the Senior Bowl game.

I love this guy, if we can trade down and grab a 2nd round pick, he might be worth reaching slightly so that we don't miss an opportunity to grab him. I love his intensity, he seems to have a high motor and a mean streak.

Would love it if we could find a way to grab this guy. This draft may be deep with OL talent, but when you see your guy, you get him even if it means reaching a bit. Now I wouldn't reach for a top 10 player or 1st rounder due to the salary, but as a 3rd round prospect, I think a mid 2nd round selection is not too far ahead of the pack, if he is the guy we covet. Every other team in the NFL will be looking for OL'man regardless of their current OL status. We cant just sit back and take whoever is there IMO. We need to be a little aggressive to fill these needs, its the position we've put ourselves in.

Well it's a good thing we're not putting together a weight-lifting team or a tall people team (especially since we cut Mix), because I think Oher will be there at 13 and I want him.

So he's 6'4 (just like Jordan Gross -- the guy a lot of people here wanted as our new RT), and his arms aren't freakishly long and he did a low number of bench presses.

Well, he's been destroying SEC linemen for four years.

He was considered a top 5 pick throughout the football season, before we knew about 40 times and reps, when all people were doing was...you know, playing football.

EBEN BRITTON is the sleeper OT pick of this entire draft! Don't be the least bit surprised to see the Skins take this talented, versatile, and over-looked tackle either at 13, or later in the first round should they TRADE DOWN. He's out of Arizona, and it seems like nobody is talking bout him......the kid could be a huge, huge help at right tackle.

Im skeptical on Oher also. His short arms accompanied by his weak reps in the combines makes me think he's a work in progress. You dont spend the money on #13 to have him ride the pine. Usually top 4 OL start in the NFL. Andre Smith's stock dropped also. I want to see his pro-day. He comes in under 330 and shows quickness then forget Oher. He may be a head case but Buges isnt going to take that ****. Smith was a top 5 pick prior to AWOL. He would be BPA/OL at #13.

I think OT is our third position in terms of need.

Our number one need is SAM LB but I think this is the easiest position for us to fill. We need to speak with Angelo Crowell and Marcus Washington.

Our number two need is CENTER. Our center gave up more sacks than any other center in the league. He consistently got beat by big NTs and everyone knows this but he also got beat by small NTs (Ratliff). He consistently gets pushed back and needs help on every play. He also makes key penalties. He is also responsible for making the blocking calls; however, go back and look at the Balt and Pitt games and see his errors in protection. He has problems calling out protections against heavy blitz teams.

OT is our third need because we aren't sure what we have with Heyer and Jansen has clearly lost a step. This is a servicable position right now but with the questions on the right side and no answer in the event of a Samuels injury, this is a need. The only FA we should be looking at is Willis because he may be able to start. If we get stuck at 13 and one of the top 4 OTs are available, then we obviously need to take him. If Andre Smith is there, we take him period. Orakpo wouldn't be a bad choice here either. Ideally, we trade down and pick up Britton or Mack in round one and Loadholt or Wood/Unger in round 2. This would be the most ideal situation for us.

EBEN BRITTON is the sleeper OT pick of this entire draft! Don't be the least bit surprised to see the Skins take this talented, versatile, and over-looked tackle either at 13, or later in the first round should they TRADE DOWN. He's out of Arizona, and it seems like nobody is talking bout him......the kid could be a huge, huge help at right tackle.

I don't think so... His negatives are pretty based on just about every draft site I've seen. Plus, if we're bashing Oher for his smallish arms at 33.5", then what does that say about Britton at 32.75"? Personally, I'd go with William Beatty over Britton any day of the week. This was discussed earlier in another thread I created (there's a much more fleshed out comparison):

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=6160516

My question to you: Why do you think that his 40 time should have any bearing on his draft status?

Uh, duh.

Everyone knows that the difference between drafting a Jake Long or Joe Thomas and a Robbert Gallery is entirely based on how fast they can run 40 yards, in comfortable athletic gear.

I just wish the redskins had more picks in the draft. There are so many good Oline and dline players in this draft.

I hate to say this but I think the Skins might need to consider trading a pick or two in next years draft to acquire some for this draft.

And with those acquired picks we could fill all of our need.

I hate to say this but I think the Skins might need to consider trading a pick or two in next years draft to acquire some for this draft.

And with those acquired picks we could fill all of our need.

I don't like that idea. This draft is pretty stacked with o-linemen but next year should be a better draft class overall. Depending on how things go we should take the best OT we can at 13 and look to trade up with our 3rd rounder to get one of the top 4 centers. If we cover our RT and C holes this offseason we should be pretty set on o-linemen; we would just need to be concerned about SLB and LDE (we can find a bargain stopgap in free agency and save next year's picks for those positions).

To think, if only we drafted Calais Campbell last year instead of one of our plethora of receivers, then we would have LDE covered this year and never would have had to trade that 2nd rounder for Jason Taylor. No, Campbell didn't have a great year but I think he was a serviceable player; which is more than we can actually say about our receivers.

Archived