Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLN: Shefter says Campbell needs to "Grow up" in order for us to win.

Rocky52Mc

Or why Colt's Cult thinks he was sooooo good in pre-season. Yeah, he ran around a few times and extended the play. But he only scored one TD in 4 games. What is so impressive about 1 TD??????

I don't compare the HOF game because Colt and JC both played well.

Yeah, don't compare the HOF game he played in because most rookies absolutely suck in their very first NFL game, but he was quite contrary to that now wasn't he? It's no wonder why Zorn put a leash on him after that game when you really think about it. We really don't need the fans to be chanting for him now, do we? LOL

Well, maybe his Cult thinks he's sooooo good partly because he emerged from his preseason as the #1 ranked rookie QB in 2008? :whoknows:

Here: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=QUARTERBACK&season=2008&seasonType=PRE&experience=0&tabSeq=1&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Remember now...Colt "supporters" use conjecture and not actual facts. :doh:

Yeah, don't compare the HOF game he played in because most rookies absolutely suck in their very first NFL game, but he was quite contrary to that now wasn't he? It's no wonder why Zorn put a leash on him after that game when you really think about it. We really don't need the fans to be chanting for him now, do we? LOL

Well, maybe his Cult thinks he's sooooo good partly because he emerged from his preseason as the #1 ranked rookie QB in 2008? :whoknows:

Here: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=QUARTERBACK&season=2008&seasonType=PRE&experience=0&tabSeq=1&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Remember now...Colt "supporters" use conjecture and not actual facts. :doh:

The reason I don't use the HOF game is that Colt fans want to show why he should start over JC. They had the same qb rating in that game so why would that game make Colt look any better?

If 1 TD in 4 games is all it took for a rookie to end ranked #1, the rest of the rookie quarterbacks must have really sucked.

The reason I don't use the HOF game is that Colt fans want to show why he should start over JC. They had the same qb rating in that game so why would that game make Colt look any better?

If 1 TD in 4 games is all it took for a rookie to end ranked #1, the rest of the rookie quarterbacks must have really sucked.

I find it hard to believe than when 1 QB has twice has many TD's than the other in the very same game that you could consider that an equal performance between the two.

Explain this: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&archive=false&seasonType=PRE&statisticPositionCategory=QUARTERBACK&qualified=false&conference=null&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=2&experience=null (*edit* Look for the #63 rank)

Sorry, but every game does count. Not just in my book, but to nfl.com as well.

The qb rating averaged out good. But there was still two real good games, two horrible games and one average game.

And where is this "it" factor that supposed to elevate all the other players around him to play like superstars. Fourteen points, seven points and three points and no points in two games. Colt fans blame all the offensive problems on JC. JC doesn't have "it" so he doesn't elevate the rest of the teams play. From where I sit Colt didn't elevate anyone's play either in pre-season. If he had there would have been more points scored. Except maybe the HOF game and, like I said before, JC played just as well.

I find it hard to believe than when 1 QB has twice has many TD's than the other in the very same game that you could consider that an equal performance between the two.

I find it hard to believe that you don't understand the difference in scoring opportunities when one quarterback's time of possession was 4 minutes and 54 seconds and the other quarterback had the ball 15 minutes and 47 seconds. :silly:

Man oh man do you have that shoe on the wrong foot!

On a lighter note' date=' it's nice to see all that JC supporters drawing a line at 5 years, in that this is JC's make or break year.:wavetowel[/quote']

Call me a Campbell fan if you want, honestly the only reasons I really love the guy are listed here, and I'm sure that a lot of fans would agree with this: In no special order

1. Drafted by Joe Gibbs (1st round pick)

2. Our present QB, good stats for our offense and plays well

3. Needs consistancy in an offense and coach (Will get it this year)

4. Leader of the team and offense

5. He can make big plays, he just needs to turn that into an ability he can turn on and off at will

6. This is his situation, and to take that away from him now is worse then signing Adam Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd, to 7 year contracts (and starting them :doh: )

I still can't figure out if JC is so bad, why can't his detractors ever argue their point logically, with actual facts.... but instead use conjecture, and accuse those supporting JC of only being blind homers to try and discredit them :whoknows:

I agree completely. I debate this exact thing with a couple of local redskins fans all the time. The reason I believe in JC is I have seen him show the skills all good Qb's have. Arm strength, Pocket presence, mobility, and accuracy. (Albeit not always all at the same time)

The problem seems to be multiple offensive systems and self confidence. I wasn't on the coaching staff last year, but either Jason wasn't confident enough to through downfiled, or the coaching staff told him to check down and not make mistakes. Whichever it was it needs to change.

He has legit weapons around him, and a year of experience under this system. I agree totally he needs to grow up (in this system) and prove he has what it takes to lead this team. If not then Colt may get his chance.

For all those Colt fans, I hope you won't throw him under the bus also when he comes in and struggles, the regular season isn't the same as going against fourth stingers in pre-season.

Cassel went for a second round pick.

That's it.

Dude is accurate and goes through his reads quick.

Would have been a perfect fit for Zorn's offense.

And I'm saying this as a guy who likes JC and wants him to succeed...

... but just doesn't think he processes things fast enough on the field to ever be good.

Sign Garcia and trade Jason. Think about it, if Jason doesn't "grow up/step up" this year he isn't worth much to us. Right now he has some value so go get what you can for him and bring in Garcia who would fit in the WCO perfectly and let Todd and Colt compete against him in the preseason. With this D we don't need a great QB just one to do it right and not be the weak link.

I agree with this, I think he could be at least a 2nd rounder for us.

Or why Colt's Cult thinks he was sooooo good in pre-season. Yeah, he ran around a few times and extended the play. But he only scored one TD in 4 games. What is so impressive about 1 TD??????

Okay, Colt had one TD, one good drive that netted a field goal and one good drive that didn't get a first down close to the redzone. I'm still not the least bit impressed. If this is an example of the spark Colt will add to the team then I believe I'll pass.

How did JC do in his first 5 pre-season games? I think you'll find that CB, as a rookie, showed more promise than JC when he was a rookie. I hope he is given the opportunity to prove himself.

I'm willing to give Jason this season in this system. I don't care how smart of a QB you are. If you system keeps changing, your OL is turning to dust, and a majority of your pass catchers aren't getting it done. Then what?

I am glad you are not a coach. Jason is slow, slow with his release, slow with his reads and worried back there.

TRADE HIM PLEASE!

I agree with this, I think he could be at least a 2nd rounder for us.

Or Campbell could make the leap and bring us to the playoffs himself. The truth is, you all have no idea what he will do. No one does. So why would we jump the gun and trade him now after putting all the work into developing him before we ever really gave him a shot. So that we can have a 39 year old QB lead us to a mediocre season and then start all over again at the position the season after? That seems like a brilliant solution.

And you couldn't be anymore blind to bitter sarcasm.

I got the sarcasm. Trust me when I say there's nothing clouding my judgment.

Call me a Campbell fan if you want, honestly the only reasons I really love the guy are listed here, and I'm sure that a lot of fans would agree with this: In no special order

1. Drafted by Joe Gibbs (1st round pick) ---- WAY too high based on performance

2. Our present QB, ---for this reason I hope he succeeds good stats for our offense and plays well ---and stats tell the whole story, do they? Plays well, or well enough compared to recent Skins QB's?

3. Needs consistancy in an offense and coach (Will get it this year) ---thus eliminating any further excuses, or at least THIS excuse!

4. Leader of the team and offense ---says who? Has he been annointed the team leader simply because he's the starting QB? I'd say Fletcher shows exponentially more team leadership.

5. He can make big plays, he just needs to turn that into an ability he can turn on and off at will ---umm......even the worst QB's of all time have made big plays on occasion. Turning it "on" on-demand is something he's rarely, if ever, shown the ability to do.

6. This is his situation, and to take that away from him now is worse then signing Adam Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd, to 7 year contracts (and starting them :doh:) ---I have no idea what that has to do with the price of tea in China.

I agree completely. I debate this exact thing with a couple of local redskins fans all the time. The reason I believe in JC is I have seen him show the skills all good Qb's have. Arm strength, Pocket presence, mobility, and accuracy. (Albeit not always all at the same time)

The problem seems to be multiple offensive systems and self confidence.

Eerily similar to Patrick Ramsey, don't you think? By the way, pretty much every QB ever to grace an NFL uniform has shown all the skills you mentioned at one point or another or wouldn't have made a roster. Until he's able to reign in all those skills and use them properly.........AND simultaneously........I remain a skeptic.

That does NOT mean I want him to fail. I desperately want the man to be awesome..........contrary to what some may believe. Wouldn't it be ridiculous for me to root for JC to fail simply to have Colt, or some other QB to be inserted? That is NOT my desire. I just happen to believe the guy won't get it done. Sue me.

i don't understand why some of you are arguing over this...of course this is his make or break year...it's his CONTRACT year...if he plays similar to last season, then he won't get a contract...it's that simple...if he plays poorly, will he get another season with us, regardless of whether the OL is weak or the WRs aren't getting open? i definitely don't think so...so this is his make or break year

I got the sarcasm. Trust me when I say there's nothing clouding my judgment.

Eerily similar to Patrick Ramsey, don't you think? By the way, pretty much every QB ever to grace an NFL uniform has shown all the skills you mentioned at one point or another or wouldn't have made a roster. Until he's able to reign in all those skills and use them properly.........AND simultaneously........I remain a skeptic.

That does NOT mean I want him to fail. I desperately want the man to be awesome..........contrary to what some may believe. Wouldn't it be ridiculous for me to root for JC to fail simply to have Colt, or some other QB to be inserted? That is NOT my desire. I just happen to believe the guy won't get it done. Sue me.

You might not want him to fail, but we're just fans, damnit. It's not like we control the roster. Our fans just want more out of Jason then Jason could honestly give last season(s). You are looking for reasons why he should run out of excuses, so in a sense, you're looking for him to fail.

Our offense, especially in the first year under Zorn includes heavy running and added passing that upgraded itself throughout the season. If Clinton Portis couldn't run anymore, then Jason's smoke screen is gone. Plain and simple, and that is the Washington Redskins of 2008. This year, SHOULD be different. No excuses here. It's going to be DIFFERENT. Jason still may be doing the short passes, but our offense should depend on the passing game more.

BTW, wtg and break down someones 1-5 lists, it's real easy to do. Almost like, talking behind someones back. Honestly, this isn't even about Colt, if we wanna talk about someone taking the ball from Campbell I think Zorn would aim towards Collins, which I wouldn't exactly be excited about.

P.S. Don't bring up Patrick Ramsey.

You might not want him to fail, but we're just fans, damnit. It's not like we control the roster. Our fans just want more out of Jason then Jason could honestly give last season(s). You are looking for reasons why he should run out of excuses, so in a sense, you're looking for him to fail.

Incorrect. I'm not "looking" for him to fail, nor do I want him to fail. My stance all along has been that I believe he will not live up to expectations, nor will he be comparable to very competent QB's. As a result, my prediction is that he isn't the right fit.

This year, SHOULD be different. No excuses here. It's going to be DIFFERENT. Jason still may be doing the short passes, but our offense should depend on the passing game more.

I certainly hope this coming season will be different. I wish I could say I shared your confidence in that it will be. I'll be pulling for JC's success, believe me. As he goes so goes the offense.......at least in large part. So we're not as far apart as you might think with this sentiment. Clearly you're more confident than I we'll take that next step. I sure hope you're right. If you are, the drinks are on me.

BTW, wtg and break down someones 1-5 lists, it's real easy to do. Almost like, talking behind someones back. Honestly, this isn't even about Colt, if we wanna talk about someone taking the ball from Campbell I think Zorn would aim towards Collins, which I wouldn't exactly be excited about.

Aww come on now. You're likening this to talking behind someone's back? I put my comments out there for the poster and everyone else to see. Heck I've had my comments answered in similar fashion many times and I never took offense. Why would you? Did I really say anything that absurd?

P.S. Don't bring up Patrick Ramsey.

Trust me when I say it's probably as painful for me to write as it was for you to read, but why not bring him up? The parallels between the two are uncanny.....

Our fans just want more out of Jason then Jason could honestly give last season(s).

This almost escaped me but I think you hit the nail directly on the head, however, I'd take it a step further.

I think the fans (and possibly the organization) are asking more than JC is capable of......period. Again.......I want to be wrong, but while I believe he has worth as a more than capable journeyman QB, I simply don't see him becoming a top-tier guy. Perhaps that's an unfair burden to place on him, but with what was sacrificed to get him and where he was selected, those were the expectations thrust upon him.

This almost escaped me but I think you hit the nail directly on the head, however, I'd take it a step further.

I think the fans (and possibly the organization) are asking more that what JC is capable of......period. Again.......I want to be wrong, but while I believe he has worth as a more than capable journeyman QB, I simply don't see him becoming a top-tier guy. Perhaps that's an unfair burden to place on him, but with what was sacrificed to get him and where he was selected, those were the expectations thrust upon him.

Auburn didn't get the nickname "Running Back U" for nothing. JC only averaged 23 passes a game his senior year. He was drafted by Gibbs to run the same offense he had been running in college.

I think JC's numbers the first half of this year even show this. When the running game is working JC can make the passes. But when the defense is blitzing heavy or up at the line for maximum pressure, then JC's numbers go down, down, down.

This is first time since he was a junior in high school that he has had a full second playing season in the same offense. I'm counting and praying on this to make a big difference.

Auburn didn't get the nickname "Running Back U" for nothing. JC only averaged 23 passes a game his senior year. He was drafted by Gibbs to run the same offense he had been running in college.

I think JC's numbers the first half of this year even show this. When the running game is working JC can make the passes. But when the defense is blitzing heavy or up at the line for maximum pressure, then JC's numbers go down, down, down.

This is first time since he was a junior in high school that he has had a full second playing season in the same offense. I'm counting and praying on this to make a big difference.

Excellent point, RCS. Again, this supports my assertion that JC in a WCO is like shoving a square peg in a round hole. Repeatedly.

Archived