Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Danny know something we don't about an uncapped 2010 NFL Season?

E33Green

He has cap experts. Im sure they have plans in place. I dont think he's making the recent choices because of the pending uncapped year because he's always made deals like this. It just so happens we have the oppurtunity to make cuts and free up quite a bit of money.

If we do have a uncapped year we will be more like the Yankees. Hope some big names QBs are on the board.

I'm sure there a lot of things Danny and 'Skins brass know about the cap and other football knowledge we don't.

Last offseason people were saying Jerry Jones was spending $$ as if he knew next year would be uncapped.

The one thing I like about Danny, he's always going to try and one-up little Jerry.

Seeing as the bulk of money in Haynesowrth contract is apparently front loaded, it would def. appear Snyder is banking on an uncapped 2010. This way the cap hit doesn't kill us for Haynesworth, and by the time a cap is restored Haynesowrth will either be restructured, or won't need to be since his salary should be decreasing by then. This is just my speculation though.

Well, I will tell you this, he could turn out looking very smart if the dynamics of the league change again (and move back toward the 1980s NFL)...

If he's banking on an uncapped year or something closer to an eventual setup like MLB has, he's rolling the dice some, but he could make out like crazy if he's right! Imagine if he stockpiles talent and we actually hit an uncapped year...we'll be in pretty good shape as long as he can sign the checks.

so this means we can dump all these contracts we keep adjusting to future years? so basically all the old guys we'd like to cut now, but would do so with lots of dead cap space will be whacked the minute the uncapped year hits??

Uncapped likely means lesser free agents available too. As I recall there will be multiple transition/franchises tags allowed for teams under the uncapped scenario per the CBA. So many elite level players hitting the market next year may not be moving, teams may be more likely to tag them and pay the money for their own guy.

Uncapped likely means lesser free agents available too. As I recall there will be multiple transition/franchises tags allowed for teams under the uncapped scenario per the CBA. So many elite level players hitting the market next year may not be moving, teams may be more likely to tag them and pay the money for their own guy.

yeah, it's three per team... good article here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

hopefully it's only for one or two years... the nfl doesn't need to end up like major league baseball... even if it does mean the skins are the yankees :)

having no cap is lame watching the same teams sweep up the top free agents every season... yankees ruin baseball year after year by picking up A players to take over for their B players...

ps. cc sabathia will be a bust back in the AL

Snyder and Jerry Jones have to know something.

With the recent extensions Dallas has given to Newman, Barber, Witten and others, and with the huge extension Ware is going to get, theres just no way Dallas would be able to pull these signings off.

Likewise there's just no way Washington gives so much guaranteed money so early in the AH contract.

I mean, that contract is just absurd. Throw in the fact the Skins supposedly have cap issues?

Please. This ridiculous kind of money makes it pretty clear to me we will be seeing the end of the salary cap era in the NFL.

Whether thats a good thing or not remains to be seen however.

even though I'm a die-hard redskins' fan, I hope the league doesn't go uncapped... I enjoy the strategy, the emphasis on solid drafting and smart FA moves and do not want a lombardi that was generally considered "bought"... though if the yankees are any indication, championships, especially in my opinion football ones, can't be bought...

Well, I will tell you this, he could turn out looking very smart if the dynamics of the league change again (and move back toward the 1980s NFL)...

If he's banking on an uncapped year or something closer to an eventual setup like MLB has, he's rolling the dice some, but he could make out like crazy if he's right! Imagine if he stockpiles talent and we actually hit an uncapped year...we'll be in pretty good shape as long as he can sign the checks.

Yeah, he and Jerruh are playing chicken with the rest of the league at this point. First one to swirve loses...

I have no doubt that Danny and his cap experts know a lot that we don't about an uncapped 2010 Season

Even though it will be an uncapped year there are rules in place so teams like our beloved Skins, and the fricken cowpukes don't turn into the Yankees and Redsox.

But at the same time we could more than likely rework contracts like we do every year and pay the bulk of the money in 2010 and have a $400 million payroll. I haven't been able to find anything saying we can't do this and it might already be worked into Dhall and AH's Contracts. Then we would be free and clear when the cap is put back in place with the new CBA in 2011.

The skins are 1 of a handful of teams that could do this and not worry about going bankrupt.

Actually, I don't think it will ever happen. All the reports I've heard say the owners would lock the players out rather than allow an uncapped year in 2010. Besides, with the additional tags there wouldn't be nearly as many F.A. players available to sign anyway.

Another good article on the uncapped year here.

Actually, I don't think it will ever happen. All the reports I've heard say the owners would lock the players out rather than allow an uncapped year in 2010. Besides, with the additional tags there wouldn't be nearly as many F.A. players available to sign anyway.

Another good article on the uncapped year here.

I can't believe the owners would lock out in 2010, 2011 yes but the last year of the contract?

The TV deals are coming up for renewal not too long after the contract expires. I think the NFL would want to have a new deal by the time they have to negotiate a new TV deal.

Thanks for the article though. Honestly, if it comes to the point where some of the financially weaker NFL teams have to fold; I would not have a problem with that.

Archived