Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: LB Crowder re-signed (MIA); Salary cap raised to $127M ($3M more than orig)

SkinsMaster88

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/25/salary-cap-is-expanding-for-2009/

The salary cap will grow in 2009.

Because teams didn’t spend as much as they were supposed to under the collective bargaining agreement the past three years, teams were notified Wednesday that the salary cap will increase over $4 million to $127 million for this coming year, according to sources with two NFL teams.

It defies the recession and logic, but just before free agency, teams actually will have more flexibility and salary-cap room. This is tremendous news for teams such as the Colts and Panthers, who are pressed against the cap, and not such good news for teams such as the Buccaneers and Chiefs, who were way under the cap. Now their advantage is somewhat compromised.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/25/dolphins-take-crowder-off-the-market/

----

The salary cap for 2009 was initially projected to be $124 million. Gives everyone extra $3M in space.

Crowder was a popular target for a replacement for Washington. Like Vernon Carey, he's off the market thanks to Parcells.

Crap I was hoping the cap would stop the FO from making any real push for haynesworth, oh well this is good news, I just dont trust the front office with any extra money.

I'm not saying they'll definitely land him but you have to believe they'll be making a big push for Haynesworth. The only other big name I could see us going for is Canty.

The way the skins seem to manage the cap every year has always amazed me. Hearing the words "cap hell" just make me laugh when i hear them. Now if only we could sign the right people so we aren't releasing players we throw huge contracts at 2 years after signing them. If the skins are going to offer Haynesworth over 100 million I really hope they have some kind of plan salary capwise.

I understand to get great talent thru free agency these days teams have to break the bank. As long as Haynesworth performs up to what he is capable of I guess I'm alright with signing him. Haynesworth drawing a double would hopefully allow Jason Taylor to have more of an impact. Plus with defenses having to account for Haynesworth and Taylor it should really open things up for Carter.

I'm tired of seeing us pay top dollar for mediocre talent and cutting said talent down the road which always doesn't seem to be too long a road. So we need interior D-line help and Danny is trying to upgrade with the best possible guy out there at that position. Hopefully if we sign him he plays well and some type of genius contract which doesn't slaughter our cap with a 15 to 16 million dollar cap hit a year is introduced in an unprecedented fashion (like manipulating the uncapped year or years somehow if possible). Well like it or hate it at least most offseason's the Redskins keep things interesting and give us a ton of things to discuss.

The way the skins seem to manage the cap every year has always amazed me. Hearing the words "cap hell" just make me laugh when i hear them. Now if only we could sign the right people so we aren't releasing players we throw huge contracts at 2 years after signing them. If the skins are going to offer Haynesworth over 100 million I really hope they have some kind of plan salary capwise.

I understand to get great talent thru free agency these days teams have to break the bank. As long as Haynesworth performs up to what he is capable of I guess I'm alright with signing him. Haynesworth drawing a double would hopefully allow Jason Taylor to have more of an impact. Plus with defenses having to account for Haynesworth and Taylor it should really open things up for Carter.

I'm tired of seeing us pay top dollar for mediocre talent and cutting said talent down the road which always doesn't seem to be too long a road. So we need interior D-line help and Danny is trying to upgrade with the best possible guy out there at that position. Hopefully if we sign him he plays well and some type of genius contract which doesn't slaughter our cap with a 15 to 16 million dollar cap hit a year is introduced in an unprecedented fashion (like manipulating the uncapped year or years somehow if possible). Well like it or hate it at least most offseason's the Redskins keep things interesting and give us a ton of things to discuss.

Is there a reason why you cut and pasted the same post in two different threads about the Cap?

Anyways, I call our "amazing management" of the Cap mismanagement. Do we somehow sneak under every year, which helps short-term?

Yes. But we are in that situation every year because it is actually mismanagement, mortgaging the future for cap room in the present.

Posted twice because i replied to the main post and once it posted i saw there was a different thread. Knowing the thread i posted this reply in would probably be locked i copied it here and edited that one out. It was only up for about 3mins too you must have caught it right after i posted. Anyways it has been mismanagement. Had we got lucky and rolled the dice on a few other players using the same money maybe it would have worked out different is what i was saying. Instead as i stated we have been offering contracts to players we ended up cutting 2-3 years later or buried them on the bench. I also said i was tired of seeing us pay top dollar for mediocre talent. Basically that boils down to mismanagement which i thought i was making clear but i guess not. The amazing this is that Snyder can just pay out of pocket and restructure contracts to get out of some of the trouble. Trading picks though is def hurting us i totally agree with that.

if the bucs go light in the FA market with about 70 mil of cap space and I'm raheem morris, I'm not buying a bigger home in tampa... with all the legendary coaches that will be available next year and if they still have the huge cap room, I doubt raheem survives..

Archived