Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emmitt Smith able to hide gray, but not able to hide mediocrity

CWitt22

This 'Emmitt Smith able to hide gray, but not able to hide mediocrity' article was posted over at some site. The article is being trashed with Cowgirls comments trying to defend him.

And it seems some Cowgirls Forum picked up and now are trying to defend the legendary Cowgirl Emmitt Smith. I have been trying to battle with these guys to prove that Emmitt Smith is indeed a mediocre. But I need some extra firepower from some of the more intelligent members of this forum, because me's not so's smarts :doh:.

Anyway, if you have a few minutes to help me belittle some Cowgirls fans than help me out. If not, HAIL THE REDSKINS!:dallasuck

Are you talking about his career in broadcasting or football?

He wasn't a flashy RB, but he was a tough grind it out rb, that had a nose for the end zone. Not unlike Riggins

He was better than mediocre... his numbers and championships prove that... any one that saw him run over the giants with his shoulder in a sling, basically playing one armed will agree.

Broadcasting career.... he stinks, trouble pronouncing words, no real insight or original opinions.

He may have been mediocre, but there is no way to prove it, or even any facts to support your case. He was indeed blessed with the best offensive line ever assembled.

As a broadcaster, saying he is mediocre would be a heck of a compliment and a flat-out lie.

Smith didn't play behind the hogs.

Smith isn't mediocre, he was just never that flashy. He was a solid RB who was consistent and reliable. If he didn't have the rings he probably wouldn't get HOF consideration, IMO.

Smith didn't play behind the hogs.

Smith isn't mediocre, he was just never that flashy. He was a solid RB who was consistent and reliable. If he didn't have the rings he probably wouldn't get HOF consideration, IMO.

OK, sorry. He ran behind one of the top 3 lines ever assembled. I didn't say he WAS mediocre, I just said if he was, you can't prove it. You'll never know how he'd produce if he ran behind the line Barry Sanders had.

And, you got to be kidding me. If he had zero rings, he'd still be a first (or 2nd or 3rd) ballot HOF, check the record books.

OK, sorry. He ran behind one of the top 3 lines ever assembled. I didn't say he WAS mediocre, I just said if he was, you can't prove it. You'll never know how he'd produce if he ran behind the line Barry Sanders had.

And, you got to be kidding me. If he had zero rings, he'd still be a first (or 2nd or 3rd) ballot HOF, check the record books.

Oh, no worries, it's cool. I was going to reply in here anyways, but I just used your post to mention the Hogs, lol.

Agree completely about not being able to prove if he was mediocre or not. I mean, you could look at his stats with Arizona, but that was near the end of his career, and afterall, it was Arizona. I don't think Smith was mediocre, I remember watching him play. He was simply consistent, and like I said, if it wasn't for the rings he'd be remembered as a decent back, but no HOF considerations. How long did it take Monk to get in? And he was a non-flashy player with 3 rings as well. I don't need to check the record books, I know what Smith has accomplished.

I guess I should rephrase it to: if Smith had 0 rings and accomplished the stats for a team other than the Cowboys, he might not be in the HOF. Again though, keep in mind I said "probably" and "might", I wasn't being definitive and I was more knocking the decision makers on the HOF comittee, who we all know are flawed at best.

I still think it's better than, say a thread with the title:

"Anquan Boldin"

But those are threads talking about trying to trade for him or sign him in the offseason as a Redskin, this is about a ex cowboy and had NOTHING to do with the Redskins. Thread reported to the mods to be moved

Emmitt Smith was a great player. He wasn't flashy but he was tough. He had a great offensive line, but so did Riggins, so did/does LT, so does Adrian Peterson, you can't fault players for putting up good numbers on good teams, you can say that players like Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Curtis Martin, Eric Dickerson, etc. are especially impressive because they did great things with little help from their offensive lines or teammates in general but that doesn't detract from numbers.

Was Jerry Rice only a good WR because he had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing to him? Was Darrell Green only so effective because Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, and others pressured the QB so well? No. They were great because they were great players and they happened to play with some other great players also. Emmitt Smith was an outstanding runner, if the draft was tomorrow and you have a young Smith coming out of college I think pretty much every team in the NFL would want him.

Emmitt Smith was a great player. He wasn't flashy but he was tough. He had a great offensive line, but so did Riggins, so did/does LT, so does Adrian Peterson, you can't fault players for putting up good numbers on good teams, you can say that players like Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Curtis Martin, Eric Dickerson, etc. are especially impressive because they did great things with little help from their offensive lines or teammates in general but that doesn't detract from numbers.

Was Jerry Rice only a good WR because he had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing to him? Was Darrell Green only so effective because Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, and others pressured the QB so well? No. They were great because they were great players and they happened to play with some other great players also. Emmitt Smith was an outstanding runner, if the draft was tomorrow and you have a young Smith coming out of college I think pretty much every team in the NFL would want him.

excellent post. Emmitt was a great running back. To deny that is simply stupid. He is an awful analyst and has no business being on TV, and as a person, based on the books that I have read, he was a prima-donna jerk, very unlikeable. But you simply can't mimimize what he has done on the field, to do so reeks of being a hater....

few could, but that doesn't make him mediocre

I can't stand him, but you can't deny his talent

I agree with Bubba in the sense, that just because he is not as good as Walter, then he must be mediocre.....Randy Moss is no Jerry Rice, therefore Randy Moss must be mediocre right?

Truth is, Emmitt Smith was a HOF back that played behind a great line, a great QB and a solid Defense........and the award was three SB rings, and earned his right as the career rushing leader and first ballott HOF......that being said, in the best ever RB catagory he is not in the top 3 IMO.....but to call him mediocre is juts being nothing more then a hater......:2cents:

Top 3 RB of ALL-TIME IMO

G.Sayers

W.Payton

J.Brown

Smith wasn't flashy or ultra talented. What he did bring is toughness (See Bubba's reference to the Giants game), he had a nose for finding the right hole & getting into the secondary and he had a nose for the endzone. Despite not having blinding speed or phyical attributes, he was a great player, like it or not and as a Skins fan, even I can admit that.

Smith wasn't flashy or ultra talented. What he did bring is toughness (See Bubba's reference to the Giants game), he had a nose for finding the right hole & getting into the secondary and he had a nose for the endzone. Despite not having blinding speed or phyical attributes, he was a great player, like it or not and as a Skins fan, even I can admit that.

nice post...your candor is appreciated.

:cheers:

He was a solid RB who was consistent and reliable. If he didn't have the rings he probably wouldn't get HOF consideration, IMO.

Yeah, because a RB with over 18,000 yards doesn't warrant consideration to the Hall of Fame. :doh:

The man had almost 2000 yards more than Walter Payton. Give him his due.

edit.....As a broadcaster, he is God Awful. Its actually painful to watch.

Archived