Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emmitt Smith able to hide gray, but not able to hide mediocrity

CWitt22

But those are threads talking about trying to trade for him or sign him in the offseason as a Redskin, this is about a ex cowboy and had NOTHING to do with the Redskins. Thread reported to the mods to be moved

True, and I know the rules. There also doesn't need to be a thread for every single free agent or player that gets cut...and multiple threads for each person, too. Just saying, it could be worse.

I mean it's a huge stretch that Anquan Boldin really has anything to do with the Redskins. I'll bet ya six bucks he will never be a Redskin.

He may have been mediocre, but there is no way to prove it, or even any facts to support your case. He was indeed blessed with the best offensive line ever assembled.

As a broadcaster, saying he is mediocre would be a heck of a compliment and a flat-out lie.

He was far from mediocre. Look at the 1993 season. He held out the first two games, Dallas starts 0-2. He comes back and they win 7 in a row and 12 of 14. Dallas wouldn't have won without him, it's quite simple. I agree that he had a great OL to run behind, but he was also a great RB. And you are correct, he is the worst analyst in football, and it isn't even close....

To deny the greatness of Emmitt Smith the football player is insane.

I would have had him on the Skins... any day of the week.

Cant really add much to that but I will. As a skins fan to say Emmit was mediocre is just not being able to take of your homer glasses and appreciate a great football player when you see one.

Yea he may of had a great O-line but didnt Riggo have arguably one of the best lines ever put together? Just because we are skins fans we cant say Riggins was a beast not just because of his o-line then turn around and say it was all Smiths O-line. The guy is a 1st ballot hall of famer without a doubt.

Not to pile on the OP but I mean everyone is entitled to there own opinions but cant say I agree with this one bit.

Thanks for the ammo guys! Don't get me wrong, Emmitt was a good back but he was a Cowgirl. I got fling some mud at him regardless. :dallasuck

I don't understand people like you. Are you so insecure that you cannot recognize good players from opposing teams in your division/conference? Your demeanor is ridiculous and your argument makes you look foolish.

Why not appreciate him for what he is/was (more WAS as his broadcasting 'career' is a joke) and give him props? While he was not the greatest of all time, he certainly belongs in the HoF and he certainly belongs in the discussion of the five greatest RB's in history.

I like it when opposing teams have great players and I often enjoy watching them excel when they play other teams. REALLY talented players who stand above their peers are hard to come by. As a fan of football, I enjoy watching them all (even if they do belong to the Skins/Giants/Eagles).

Please. Grow up. It's petty arguments like yours that ruin fine places like the ATN.

I remember Emmitt's rookie year. He was VERY CLEARLY a talented player. Maybe he wasn't going to win 40 yard dashes but in football speed he was pretty good. I recall him waving goodbye a couple times to people trying to chase him down. He wasn't a big dude but seemed to find holes, break tackles (he had a strong base, not quite as strong as Sanders but strong enough to work with his vision) had very good agility in traffic and scored pretty easily as a running back.

Considering the Cowboys haven't had a back on his level since, how could it even be debated? Hell, it'd be nice if Clinton could find his way on a long TD run or two like Emmitt was still doing into his late 20s-early 30s.

There are some smart Cowboy and Redskins fans posting in this thread. This would not include anyone claiming Smith was a mediocre back.

The off-the-field criticisms against Smith have been made I agree with them.

Smith belongs on the short list of all-time great RBs. It is challenging to parse the achievments of Brown, Payton, Sanders, He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned, and Smith in clear cut rankings (though we all have our order and many good arguments), but none of them, nor Ericksen, Sayers, or Dorsett, nor Campbell, Faulk, M. Allen, Warner, Riggins, and on....are mediocre. Period.

They are not all equal, but they (and obviously more I did not name) represent that truly superior to all-time greatest level of play. To suggest otherwise, or excuse their talent away by minimization, is pure football-stupid.

LOL at those suggesting Smith was mediocre. Every time Smith's name comes up I can't help but to think about the game against the Giants when he was getting his shoulder popped back into place, but he sucked it up and went back into the game took the pounding and shredded the Giants defense. He gained a lot of respect from me that day.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Smith had been a Redskin the same people claiming his mediocrity would be calling him one of the greatest of all-time. We can see right through your insecurities. Bunch of wussies.

To deny the greatness of Emmitt Smith the football player is insane.

I would have had him on the Skins... any day of the week.

I liked Barry Sanders better. He didn't have the pleasure of running behind the 90's Dallas line. I would have taken either running back, but I think Barry was better overall.

Archived