Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Absolute most important free agent MUST SIGN!

W1N_SKINS

John Carney

The Giants will turn back to Lawrence Tynes as their kicker in 2009 and plan to move on from free agent John Carney.

Carney posted a 92.1 FG% (35-of-38) and was a Pro Bowler in 2008. GM Jerry Reese is apparently discriminating against Carney's age (45 in April), but it doesn't help Carney's case that Tynes got an extension last offseason.

i really dont think a kickers age makes that much of a difference he is a big upgrade over the piece of crap we have now

First of all, hes 39. That makes a long term deal almost impossible. Secondly we don't have the cap space to spend the amount of money he will get. We need to find a good young kicker in the 6th or 7th round one year. Someone like Mason Crosby or Nick Folk.

Really? How much do kickers usually get paid?

I read a quote by David Akers once who said (and this isn't exact) that basically said he has the confidence in himself to kick any type of kick, in basically any type of situation, or setting. He's prepared himself for this.

Suisham looks like the kid standing in the corner at prom scared to death to dance with his date. I've watched several times that there is literally 0 confidence in his eyes, and his "Oh shucks" attiutude after hooking a ball 15 yards right is too alarming for my taste. I'd like to see this organization draft someone for years to come, but I don't see it happening. Heck, I haven't had confidence in one of our kickers since Chip Lowemiller

John Carney

The Giants will turn back to Lawrence Tynes as their kicker in 2009 and plan to move on from free agent John Carney.

Carney posted a 92.1 FG% (35-of-38) and was a Pro Bowler in 2008. GM Jerry Reese is apparently discriminating against Carney's age (45 in April), but it doesn't help Carney's case that Tynes got an extension last offseason.

i really dont think a kickers age makes that much of a difference he is a big upgrade over the piece of crap we have now

I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard the news. I know he's old, but even at his age he's light-year's better than Swoosh-OFF!

This past season or last season I can't think of a single loss on his shoulders

In that case, my friend, you simply aren't thinking!

Guys, I'm going to tell you right now don't do it. He has a weak leg, like really weak, remember the eagles playoff game? Yeah he was mssing FG's all over the place. Also his kickoffs are terrible distance wise.

I appreciate what he did for the Giants this season filling in for tynes when he got hurt, but I'm glad we're not keeping him.

Free agency is what makes league what it is. It enables players to play for the teams that they desire regardless of what a team wants. Free agency means exactly what it stands for:free of agents being the main negotiators. FA lets you deal straight up. go online and see who the Skins have in FA or who they want to let go or keep. otherwise, eSkins for life. :censored:

That's not going to fly here.

~TK

Suisham looks like the kid standing in the corner at prom scared to death to dance with his date. I've watched several times that there is literally 0 confidence in his eyes, and his "Oh shucks" attiutude after hooking a ball 15 yards right is too alarming for my taste. I'd like to see this organization draft someone for years to come, but I don't see it happening. Heck, I haven't had confidence in one of our kickers since Chip Lowemiller

part of me wonders how much of Suisham's problems were due to the change in holder/punter situation this year. I mean, in 2007 he had an 83% FG rate. This year, he missed 3 from 50+ and 8 from 40+. I'm not excusing him for that, but I wonder if that was a factor in his percentage drop.

part of me wonders how much of Suisham's problems were due to the change in holder/punter situation this year. I mean, in 2007 he had an 83% FG rate. This year, he missed 3 from 50+ and 8 from 40+. I'm not excusing him for that, but I wonder if that was a factor in his percentage drop.

It's certainly something to consider.

Here's my thing about kickers, and this may sound a little Parcellish, but I honestly believe it. Kickers either "have it" or they don't. Suisham has never striked me as a guy who simply "has it". And by "it" I mean to go out there and nail any type of field goal at any time.

I read a quote by David Akers once who said (and this isn't exact) that basically said he has the confidence in himself to kick any type of kick, in basically any type of situation, or setting. He's prepared himself for this.

Didn't we first draft or have Akers on our roster.....like Keenan McCardell during the Monk/Clark/Sanders years? It's all about timing.

Free agency is what makes league what it is. It enables players to play for the teams that they desire regardless of what a team wants. Free agency means exactly what it stands for:free of agents being the main negotiators. FA lets you deal straight up. go online and see who the Skins have in FA or who they want to let go or keep. otherwise, eSkins for life. :censored:

:rolleyes::doh:

Really? Why write that?

Really? Why even quote that? Just report it. There's NO need to put it back out there a second time.

~TK

Top 5 kickers cap numbers last year:

- Janikowski, OAK: $3.0M

- Gould, CHI: $2.6M

- Vinatieri, IND: $2.4M

- Longwell, MIN: $2.2M

- Hanson, DET: $2.1M

- Suisham: $526K (47th among P/K combined)

Edit:

- Carney: $445K (56th among P/K combined)

But people act like we've never put money into the position. We just got rid of John Hall who we signed from the Jets after some good years because when he came here (for a pretty big deal for a punter) he kept getting injured and missing easy kicks. Then we signed Novak and Suisham, and Suisham was hitting 89% (on a very limited number of attempts) his first year and 83% his second year. People were finally thinking we had gotten our kicking situation solved until he had a poor outing this year.

The thing about him is that just like we gave up on Akers, we don't want to just cut him too soon and have him go elsewhere and become a pro bowler. Hopefully he can stay above 85% in 2009.

Archived