Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

draftguys.com: Separating the Elite OT Prospects of the 2009 NFL Draft

twenty-eight

I searched and didn't see it posted, sorry if it has already been posted

Separating the Elite OT Prospects of the 2009 NFL Draft

by Sigmund Bloom on 02/08/09

After a first round that saw no less than seven offensive tackles go off the board last year, we could see a run of tackles in the top half of the first this year that rivals 1985 (four in the top 12 picks including Lomas Brown, Jim Lachey, and Ken Ruettgers—and one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history, Kevin Allen) and 1992 (four in the top 13, led by Bob Whitfield). Many factors have converged to create this possibility - the dearth of franchise players at other positions, the massive success of the Miami Dolphins offense last year after they went with LT Jake Long at #1 overall, similar success stories in Denver (Ryan Clady at #12), Carolina (Jeff Otah at #19), and Atlanta (Sam Baker at #21), and most of all, the high quality of the top four offensive tackle prospects this year. Even the second tier of offensive tackle prospects includes at least two players who could break into the first, so back to back years with seven tackles in the first 32 picks is not out of the question (although arguably Branden Albert made it eight last year). For now, we’ll focus on the elite top tier and answer the question “What separates them as NFL talents, and how will teams value them in relation to each other?”

Body Type

Eugene Monroe - Monroe is right off the assembly line - around 6’5” 315, with long arms and well-distributed bulk. His lower body could be a little thicker to anchor better, and his midsection could be tighter, but one look at Monroe tells you why Virginia kept 2008 first round pick Branden Albert at guard.

Jason Smith - Smith is another in a long line of players who come to college as a TE and leave as a LT, and he looks the part. At 6’5” 305, he’s got room to bulk up, but he’s got the long-limbed, well proportioned frame of an NFL LT.

Michael Oher - Oher is another prototype at 6’5” 309 (and good, but not exceptional 33 1/4” arms), and his numbers are confirmed pre-combine, since he showed up for Senior Bowl week in Mobile.

Andre Smith - One of these things is definitely not like the others, and it’s Andre Smith’s 6’4” 330-340 frame. He’s top heavy, and carrying a lot of extra weight around the middle. He’s also got shorter than ideal arms (let’s see what the combine measurements reveal), and the thick thighs of a interior lineman.

Athleticism

Jason Smith - Smith is the king here. He still moves with the quickness and burst of a skill player, even though he’s in the trenches. There’s no doubt that his speed and coordination are very rare in left tackle sized young men.

Eugene Monroe - Monroe is no slouch when it comes to overall athleticism. He has great feet to mirror speed rushers inside and outside, and he can move well enough to find targets at the second level. He’s very quick and agile out of his stance and fits the elite prospect profile.

Michael Oher - Oher might have the most explosive phone-booth quickness of this group. He pops into his stance and he can mirror the elite speed rushers with ease. Oher is also basically ideal in this category, but he gets a slight asterisk, because he seems to have the most trouble consistently harnessing his natural athleticism with good technique.

Andre Smith - The key word here is surprising. Smith is surprisingly quick out of his stance vs. the run, quick to get to the second level, nimble in his deep kick slide to mirror speed rushers, all of which looks a bit strange because of his body type. Smith is not a rare specimen like the other three elite OT prospects, but there’s no doubt that there’s plenty of athleticism, and one could argue that even though he’s not a supreme athlete, he gets the most out of his gifts. The knock on Smith is more aestethic than functional, but his quickness into his stance vs. the pass and lateral agility are negatives.

Punch/Power/Strength/Aggressiveness

Andre Smith - Smith staggers his opponent in pass pro and drives his opponent out of the play while run blocking more than any other elite OT prospect. He’s not consistently dominant, when he’s on, he blots out his opponent. Smith also seems to look to attack his opponent more than any of his peers. He’ll need to get more consistent using his punch in pass pro, but when it’s there, it’s the most impressive of this class.

Michael Oher - Oher is plenty strong, he plays with a mean streak, and he’s probably the most fiery of this foursome. His punch can stop a rusher dead in his tracks, but Oher is very inconsistent in this department, relying more on his feet and frame to neutralize rush ends. Oher has great lower body strength that creates results in the run game, but usually only stalemates to slight wins instead of domination.

Eugene Monroe - Monroe flashes the strength to jolt pass rushers and the push to make holes for RBs, but he’s not a combative mauler. If there’s any hole in Monroe’s game it’s

here - he doesn’t always “take the game to his opponent” and could stand to play nastier and stronger.

Jason Smith - Smith has a mean streak, but he’s played more of a finesse OT style in Baylor’s spread attack, so he’s a work in progress. He has to develop a stronger punch and more push in the run game, but he does display the gladiator mentality, even though his offensive scheme rarely asked him to be the aggressor.

Run Blocking

Andre Smith - Smith pushes defenders like they are mere blocking sleds in the run game - always keeping his legs churning. He finds targets at the second level and pushes them into the secondary, and usually he steers his opponent on the defensive line in whatever direction he wants. To put it simply, Smith creates holes for his running backs, and Alabama often ran behind him.

Eugene Monroe - Much like his strength and fire, Monroe sometimes looks perfect, but sometimes looks merely average. He can drive second level targets into oblivion when he gets good leverage and drive, and when he senses his opponent is off balance, he usually finishes them. Monroe is not a liability as a run blocker, but he doesn’t consistently perform at a

top level either.

Michael Oher - This would have been a big hole for Oher if he had come out last year, but he made strides as a run blocker this year. He rarely dominates his opponent, but he’s at least neutralizing his opponents at the line of scrimmage and finding them at the second level and in open field.

Jason Smith - Smith has not been asked to traditionally drive block out of a three point stance in the run game as often as his peers, so it’s unfair to evaluate him on the same terms. He does look like an ideal zone blocking scheme run blocker with his terrific movement and he looks the best of the group when pulling or trapping. He’s not a mauler, but he does put his man on the ground when he gets the opportunity - but when he doesn’t get his man off balance, they often elude him after the initial push, because Smith loses his base.

Pass Blocking

Eugene Monroe - Monroe has terrific feet to get into his pass blocking stance, and he uses them to mirror the speed rushers outside and recover when initially beaten. He generally uses his long arms to keep the pass rusher at bay, and he is strong enough to absorb most bullrushes without a problem. Monroe is also heady enough to recognize the blitz and switch smoothly on stunts and other plays when the defense challenges him to think on his feet. His technique is also the most polished of the elite four.

Jason Smith - Smith is the best equipped to mirror the James Harrison and Demarcus Ware type “shot out of a gun” outside speed rusher. He’s so light on his feet that he’s easy to mistake for a tight end. Smith has played most of his career in a two point stance, so he moves very naturally in pass pro, although his technique is still very raw. Smith has Walter Jones/Orlando Pace upside as a pass blocker, but he’s still “under construction”.

Michael Oher - Oher can pass block with the best of them. His sudden quickness for a man-mountain allows him to mirror speed rushers, and usually the battle is over once Oher gets his hands on his opponent. He can be beaten by savvy and quick handfighting and second moves, and some doubt his ability to adjust and win the mental battle in pass pro. Oher’s technique is inconsistent, and at times he gets off balance and beaten because he lunges and waist bends instead of moving his feet. He’ll also look clumsy in his kick step when he’s off.

Andre Smith - Once again, the way Smith looks vs. the results of his play causes some cognitive dissonance. He doesn’t look cat quick, but there he is, mirroring the SEC’s top athletes at DE and rarely allowing a sack (just one this season). He recovers well when initially beaten (which happens because he’s not always quick into his stance), and Smith is nearly impossible to bullrush. You can catch Smith leaning and reaching for faster ends, which could become a bigger problem in the NFL. He’s very heady vs. the blitz and switching assignments and rivals Monroe in this area. Smith is exceptional when he’s sound, but inconsistent. Sometimes he looks like the best of this group, sometimes he looks like a guy with holes that will be exploited at the next level.

Risk/Reward

Eugene Monroe - This is another place where Monroe is head and shoulders above the rest of this group. Monroe looks to be at worst an adequate starter at LT with no glaring holes in his game. If he gets a little fire in his belly, he could come close to the elite Pace/Jones/Ogden level of play. He is the guy a GM can take and feel comfortable about his job security, and he’s also the most likely to have a Jake Long stabilizing impact on his new team.

Andre Smith - Smith’s inconsistency, non-standard body-type, and whispers about his suspension from the Sugar Bowl being about more than his contact with an agent do cast a shadow over his draft stock. Weight issues can be an indicator of work ethic issues, so it would be nice to see him surprise by weighing in closer to 325 at the combine. On the flipside, Smith’s good tape is the most impressive of anyone in this class, and even if he doesn’t work out as a left tackle, he could be an all-pro guard.

Jason Smith - Whether or not Jason Smith works out will likely depend on patience and how he is used. He’s somewhat similar to Ryan Clady in that he’s the type that should flourish in a zone blocking running game, and he has the athletic tools to hang right away in pass pro. He’s not as thick as Clady, but he’s got more natural aggression. You have to account for some bust risk because Smith only moved to left tackle while he was at Baylor, and he played in an offense that didn’t ask him to do the kinds of things he’ll have to do in the pros, but Clady’s instant success in Denver illustrates the upside of a player like Smith to offset the bust risk.

Michael Oher - Oher probably has the widest risk/reward span in the class. Concerns about his intelligence have been raised, and one well-known draft expert said that “smoke comes out of his ears” when he has to change directions in pass pro. His background is unique - Oher was basically adopted at age 16 after a rough childhood and only really started playing football in his junior year of high school. It’s hard to anticipate how he will react to the pressures of the NFL, but on the other hand, he could definitely become the best of this group when the dust settles.

The Verdict

Note: The combine will likely cause the draft stock of some of this group to gain momentum and some to lose steam, and of course, there’s always more film review to be done, but here’s where they stand right now in my view:

Eugene Monroe has to be the odds on favorite to go first in this group because of his high floor, even though he might have the lowest ceiling, and he’s ready to step in right away in just about any scheme - sounds like Jake Long, doesn’t it? I don’t expect Monroe to fall past Seattle even in the worst case scenario. Jason Smith is almost a sure thing to be off the board by the time the top 10 is chosen because of zone blocking teams like Green Bay and Oakland that could use a long term LT in that 7-10 range. Smith’s upside and rare athleticism could easily convince a top five team like Seattle or St. Louis to take him (assuming Monroe is off the board) if he interviews well and otherwise gains the confidence of NFL organizations during the combine and pre-draft workouts. Andre Smith should be third off the board, and I could see a team convincing themselves to take him second in this group, or maybe even first if he shows up at the combine in good shape and in top form. Any organization that values production over upside could favor the Alabama product, and I could see him going off the board as early as Seattle or Cincinnati, and no later than Jacksonville, unless major character concerns come up over the next few months. Oher could scare off teams in the top 10 if he doesn’t interview well, but players like him should not fall out of the top 20, and I would guess his slide stops around Washington (#13), Houston (#15), or San Diego (#16) in any scenario.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/separating_the_elite_ot_prospects_of_the_2009_nfl_draft/

I'll be happy with anyone of them. I would actually stay away from Andre Smith if we could help it.

AS seems to be more in the mold of B. Albert last year. He's guard size that plays tackle. He would excell at guard, but is he a starting RT. We'll see at the combine. If he trims down he could be one of the best in class.

I would take any of the 4!

Really? Smith and Oher will be the only two (possibly) available at our pick and I prefer Smith over Oher.

I read something about his work ethic and being overweight. Can't really remember, but something really rubbed me the wrong way.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=5099

Some NFL scouts are reportedly concerned about Alabama LT Andre Smith's ability to control his weight.

Smith, listed at 6'4/330, was known to fluctuate into 350-pound territory with the Crimson Tide. The weight gain could result in sloppy footwork and raises questions about his work ethic. Though widely considered a top-five lock, Smith has drawn comparisons to Leonard Davis and Levi Brown.

I read something about his work ethic and being overweight. Can't really remember, but something really rubbed me the wrong way.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=5099

Some NFL scouts are reportedly concerned about Alabama LT Andre Smith's ability to control his weight.

Smith, listed at 6'4/330, was known to fluctuate into 350-pound territory with the Crimson Tide. The weight gain could result in sloppy footwork and raises questions about his work ethic. Though widely considered a top-five lock, Smith has drawn comparisons to Leonard Davis and Levi Brown.

Funny, I read the same thing about Oher.

Inconsistent and does not always play up to his abilities...Motor runs hot and cold...Lacks great awareness...Needs to improve his technique when it comes to things like footwork and use of hands...Gets high in his stance and he doesn't always play with proper leverage...Might require extra attention from coaches ... Intelligence could be an issue.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/Michael-Oher.php

Thing is, with both these guys, the differences are minute.

quite interesting on how this list stacks up against mayock's list, pretty much the same.

I have been a huge Monroe fan ever since I found out he was the guy preventing Branden Albert from being a LT.

This board has been full of Oher supporters, and no one has been able to answer me why the want Oher so much at #13. Is it because people think he is the best OT or the best OT available at #13?

My order goes goes like this:

1. Monroe

2. J. Smith (Baylor)

3a. A. Smith (Bama)

3b. Oher

5. Britton

I would easily take Monroe or J Smith with the #13 pick, but that is looking less and less likely to happen, unless either of them get a DUI or domestic assult case between the combine and the draft.

Oher I think is a bit of a stretch, but I might rank him higher than A. Smith who I am skeptical on (charachter issues). If Oher, and A. Smith are the only ones availbe at #13, I'd go with Oher but I really would be tempted to look at some other positions if that is the case.

I only go after Britton if we trade down into like the mid 20's of the first round. I don't think he will be around in the second or third rounds.

One thing I noticed about Oher. When he gets beat to the inside, he seems to just tackle the pass rusher right into the ground, which would result in the holding penalty. I saw him do it on an nfl.com practice video when they were doing one-on-one drills. And I heard someone say he did this again while in the game.

draft Oher!

please tell me why we should draft Oher. Do you think he is the best of the 4 or the best that will be around at #13.

This is nothing personal against you Jet, I just want to know why so many people like this guy so much.

heck, if you make a good enough argument, I might even change my mind and want to draft Oher over Monroe.

First-Great Article. This is one of the long posts that I have read that actually meant something to me.

Now, out of those tackles, I prefer Jason Smith because of his athleticism and pass protecting ability. Athleticism is very important when going up against the best rushers in the NFL. I think he can improve into what the Redskins need.

This article has me leaning towards Monroe and Oher.

Andre Smith sounds a lot like Leonard Davis to me, an enormous body that might not succeed at the next level at tackle, but could move inside and be a Pro Bowl guard.

Jason Smith sounds like he's fit for a zone blocking scheme, which we aren't.

Monroe sounds like the best of the bunch, but will probably be gone before we pick. Oher sounds solid, but has motivational problems and doesn't go 100% all the time.

I have seen Oher in college and some workouts after the season and someone mentioned this in the thread earlier, we he gets beat inside he tends to try to tackle the rusher from behind, which will result in a lot of holding penalties. My hope is if we land him that Buges can really work with him and improve his technique, especially after seeing what he's done for Stephon Heyer.

Monroe sounds great, just seems like he'll be the first or second OT off the board.

At 13 we're just going to have to settle for whichever one is left for us, unless they're all gone and we end up with someone like Curry.

That said, if it's Oher, I'm happy. I've read certain people who think his best long-term projection is at guard, which we need anyway, but there's no doubt that he could step in immediately and be a better pass protector than Jansen/Heyer.

Plus, we've already got Mississippi State (Randy Thomas) and Alabama (Chris Samuels) with Auburn (JC) barking out the snap count. May as well throw another deep southern accent into the mix.

Mocking the Draft: QB Matt Stafford Still Consensus number 1 - DC Pro Sports Report

We have updated the Mock Draft Database. We not have 190 mock drafts listed for 2009 draft. We also have compiled results for the mock drafts updated in February for picks 1 through 5. We have also for the redskins and the Redskins consensus if far from clear, but comes down to three players.

Looking like Michael Oher and Jason Smith at 13.

I'm a big National Football Post fan, despite Lombardi, and they released an interesting mock draft where the Big 4, Curry, and Raji are all gone by #13, forcing us to reach for Britton. I think this would not be a great scenario for us. Here is the link:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/nfp-monday-mock-draft/

And yeah, that is me commenting about trading down.

I'm a big National Football Post fan, despite Lombardi, and they released an interesting mock draft where the Big 4, Curry, and Raji are all gone by #13, forcing us to reach for Britton. I think this would not be a great scenario for us. Here is the link:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/nfp-monday-mock-draft/

And yeah, that is me commenting about trading down.

That's my nightmare scenario. If the Big 4, Raji and Curry are gone, and nobody is offering us a fair deal to trade back.

At that point, I think we should just take Malcom Jenkins or Maluaga. I'm not a "best player available no matter what" guy, but Jenkins is an elite corner, and you can't have too many. Maluaga could start at strong side immediately before taking over for London.

I just think they are such far superior prospects over Britton that you can't reach.

Archived