Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

draftguys.com: Separating the Elite OT Prospects of the 2009 NFL Draft

twenty-eight

Matt Mosley from the ESPN NFC East blog says that Cerrato has really been burning the midnight oil, watching tons of tape on both offensive and defensive linemen. Rejoice Redskins fans!

Excellent. This gives me hope for the 2009 draft and 2009 season. But will the Redskins break my heart again? :(

Excellent. This gives me hope for the 2009 draft and 2009 season. But will the Redskins break my heart again? :(

I think we need to trade down from our 1st round pick, no matter who is on the board. We just don't have enough picks. We need to trade down, a few times if possible, maybe even trade out of the first completely. I think we need about 3-4 additional picks then what we have right now. Then we need to focus on offensive and defenisve linemen and linebacker.

Michael Oher - Oher probably has the widest risk/reward span in the class. Concerns about his intelligence have been raised, and one well-known draft expert said that “smoke comes out of his ears” when he has to change directions in pass pro. His background is unique - Oher was basically adopted at age 16 after a rough childhood and only really started playing football in his junior year of high school. It’s hard to anticipate how he will react to the pressures of the NFL, but on the other hand, he could definitely become the best of this group when the dust settles.

This why I DO NOT want this young man. New England and other draft savy teams know that A good player who is Smart is a much grater value then one who has the physical tools but lacks the Intell and or character

I think LT vs RT is overrated. An OT is an OT, and the better ones are put on the left side because it is usually the blindside.

It really made me cringe to see posts that tried to claim Stephon Heyer needed time to get used to the RT position in 2007, and then that he was not used to being back at LT in 2008 for the Lions game.

I could not disagree more. RT and LT are different positions. It's like saying a WR is a WR. It just doesn't work that way.

Michael Oher - Oher probably has the widest risk/reward span in the class. Concerns about his intelligence have been raised, and one well-known draft expert said that “smoke comes out of his ears” when he has to change directions in pass pro. His background is unique - Oher was basically adopted at age 16 after a rough childhood and only really started playing football in his junior year of high school. It’s hard to anticipate how he will react to the pressures of the NFL, but on the other hand, he could definitely become the best of this group when the dust settles.

This why I DO NOT want this young man. New England and other draft savy teams know that A good player who is Smart is a much grater value then one who has the physical tools but lacks the Intell and or character

agreed, I would rate intelligence as the #1 criteria for an OL'man we are looking for, and one that may be familiar with WCO principles if at all possible. They are all beasts because they are top OL prospects and dominated in college, and if we're splitting hairs, I'll put my money on the one that seems to be the smartest and have his head on straight, because we're gonna need an immediate impact from whoever it is. Whoever it is will prolly be thrown into the fire and will need to learn the play book ASAP (though they all will).

I think we need to trade down from our 1st round pick, no matter who is on the board. We just don't have enough picks. We need to trade down, a few times if possible, maybe even trade out of the first completely. I think we need about 3-4 additional picks then what we have right now. Then we need to focus on offensive and defenisve linemen and linebacker.

While I think trading down would be ideal in most circumstances, if a guy there at 13 who is a need (OL, DL, OLB) and an outstanding value we will grab him. For example if Curry were to somehow fall to 13 we'd be idiots to not pick him up since most consider him a top 10 if not top 5 pick. Obviously the same goes for any of the top 3 OTs. :2cents:

Andre Smith worries me because of his small arms. I'm not someone who goes overboard on numbers, but I really believe that tackles need to be able to keep DEs away from their body, and need long arms to be able to do that. Everything else can be taught. I also think we should try to get a tackle who can take over for Samuels in 2010, and try to upgrade from Heyer in free agency or next year.

While I think trading down would be ideal in most circumstances, if a guy there at 13 who is a need (OL, DL, OLB) and an outstanding value we will grab him. For example if Curry were to somehow fall to 13 we'd be idiots to not pick him up since most consider him a top 10 if not top 5 pick. Obviously the same goes for any of the top 3 OTs. :2cents:

I agree its tempting to take them. Lets say that we do. Lets say that Curry somehow falls to 13. We take him. Ok that solves one problem, but then we are left with a 3rd, 5th, and 6th. Thats not even enough ammo to trade down. I think we have completely screwed ourselves by trading that 2nd round pick for Taylor. Because if we had that second, then taking Curry wouldn't be so bad because we could take a tackle in the 2nd.

Now i think we have absolutely no choice but to trade down, no matter what player is on the board at 13. That just gives us a better deal to trade down with teams fighting to trade up to 13 to grab a player like Curry.

I agree its tempting to take them. Lets say that we do. Lets say that Curry somehow falls to 13. We take him. Ok that solves one problem, but then we are left with a 3rd, 5th, and 6th. Thats not even enough ammo to trade down. I think we have completely screwed ourselves by trading that 2nd round pick for Taylor. Because if we had that second, then taking Curry wouldn't be so bad because we could take a tackle in the 2nd.

Now i think we have absolutely no choice but to trade down, no matter what player is on the board at 13. That just gives us a better deal to trade down with teams fighting to trade up to 13 to grab a player like Curry.

But we don't have to fill all of our holes in this draft. Our biggest problem has been believing that we are just a year away or a couple of players away from the Superbowl. Get an Olineman this year and a Dlineman next year.

But we don't have to fill all of our holes in this draft. Our biggest problem has been believing that we are just a year away or a couple of players away from the Superbowl. Get an Olineman this year and a Dlineman next year.

Yes true that we don't need to do it all in one year, but 4 picks aren't going to cut it. Thats 3 day two picks. So based on league averages we will get 2 roster worthy players from this draft.

What is the difference besides one being typically the blindside spot? You have the same responsibilities on each side.

The answer is right there in your post. The tackle defending the QB's blindside has a bigger responsibility simply because he is defending the quarterbacks backside. Thats why LT's get paid more than RT's.....

The answer is right there in your post. The tackle defending the QB's blindside has a bigger responsibility simply because he is defending the quarterbacks backside. Thats why LT's get paid more than RT's.....

Oh, I was just responding to the guy who said they are fundamentally different. I don't think they are, just that the better tackle is put on the left side normally.

Archived