Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Houshmanzadheh

HRNY4ZRNY

Why not get this guy?

Almost every year we either draft a WR with out first pick or 2 or sign one for big bucks, or trade picks or players for one and then sign him for big bucks.

Can't deny the trend of following the Matt Millen NFL team building design. It seems to be working too. Can't fire the owner.

No to Nate Washington!! I've had it with Pittsburgh WR's, unless of course its Holmes.

It aint the WRs its our QBs dude. besides we only had one steeler WR. Nate would be a good pick up cause hes underrated, young and wouldnt cost that much. And hes pretty fast and would be a good deep threat.

Well then we need Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly to step up! Atleast one of them... Will Malcom even play? Will Devin know the routes? Will he work hard in training camp will he have a good attitude. Does he know how much he means to this team! I sure hope so.

We need a good veteran WR like TJ not for his play but for his work ethic, and leadership. Hopefully our young WRs would catch on to how he conducts himself and runs routes and it will rub off big time. Moss is a #2 WR, he always was, he never should have been a #1. Now i think hes a slot but thats my opinion. But i question the leadership of the players we have like moss and portis. Dont seem like they take these young players under thier wing.

T.J. WANTS TO BE AN EAGLE

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2009, 10:34 a.m.

Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is due to become a free agent in little more than three weeks.

And, if T.J. has his way, the equipment manager in Philly will be muttering “Newman!” when he realizes that he’ll have to come up with a way to fit all those letters on the back of a green jersey.

On Wednesday, Houshmandzadeh told Mike Missanelli of ESPN Radio 950 in Philadelphia that the veteran wideout would like to play for the Eagles.

“If they’ll be interested in me, I’ll be interested in them,” Houshmandzadeh said, via our own Sheil Kapadia of philly.com.

“I think [Donovan] McNabb is a fine quarterback,” Houshmandzadeh said. “He’s one of the best quarterbacks in the league, probably, I can’t even think of another quarterback that has performed throughout his career the way he has and would be put in a situation like he was put in in Baltimore, but he bounced back very well.”

Yeah, so well that McNabb might not even be the quarterback of the Eagles come September 2009, if as a growing number of league insiders suspect McNabb tries to force his way out of town.

Whether Houshmandzadeh gets a chance to test the market remains to be seen; the Bengals could use the franchise tag to keep him in place. (As Kapadia points out, Adam Schefter of NFLN reported in December that the Bengals won’t do it.)

The bigger question, in our view, is whether Houshmandzadeh needs a Chad Johnson across from him in order to be effective. If so, T.J. could be the next Alvin Harper and/or Peerless Price.

Not saying it's going to happen, but how would everyone feel about TJ Houshmanzadeh becoming a Redskin?

I feel like our season will hinge on Santana Moss staying injury free. I think if he gets hurt our season would be over. We would not be able to run the ball because defenses would load up in the box and I don't think any of our wide receivers could be productive enough. Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly showed me nothing last year and Randle el is not a deep threat.

If Houshmanzadeh was the #1 and Moss was the #2 how do you think teams would cover us and how open would Moss get? Wondering what everyone thinks.

Is there a free agent we shouldn't sign? Just what we need more WR's for JC to miss.

OK bottom line. If we do not have a receiver that can free up Moss next year we will fail. I want Thomas and Kelly to develop. I dont want to give up on them. But I dont see them contributing big next season. They will both be a little better than this season. If Kelly stays healthy its already an upgrade. We need a WR free agent to help for the next 2 -3 years. We need someone that is not to expensive and will free up Moss more. If we could get Housh and not kill the cap I say we do it. I would also not be opposed to bringing in a lesser known FA.

Now people will say... OK just forget about our lines...

I say we use all of our draft picks on D line and O line. Get a few FA's and then we will be set.

Also when we do this plan and the offense still isnt productive then you know it is the QB. And then you have Brennan ready to go with tons of weapons.

Sorry to leave out Todd but I just cant see him being as effective as he was during his stretch. And Brennan would have more upside.

Not saying it's going to happen, but how would everyone feel about TJ Houshmanzadeh becoming a Redskin?

I feel like our season will hinge on Santana Moss staying injury free. I think if he gets hurt our season would be over. We would not be able to run the ball because defenses would load up in the box and I don't think any of our wide receivers could be productive enough. Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly showed me nothing last year and Randle el is not a deep threat.

If Houshmanzadeh was the #1 and Moss was the #2 how do you think teams would cover us and how open would Moss get? Wondering what everyone thinks.

Absolutely not! It won't matter who's at wide receiver if you don't have an offensive line good enough to keep your quarterback upright or a defensive line that can rush the passer constantly and tilt playing field. You also have to consider a few things:

• Is Houshmanzadeh the wide receiver he is based on his own merit or because he plays opposite one of the league's best (see: Harper, Alvin)?
  • Will signing Houshmanzadeh stunt the development of Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly?
  • Is signing Houshmanzadeh the FO's way of saying it goofed when it spent two second-round draft picks on the aforementioned wide receivers?
  • Has Houshmanzadeh ever played in a West Coast Offense? If not, how long will it take him to adapt?

Too often, fans (and Danny!) fall in love with stars without looking at how said player will fit in with the time. Houshmanzadeh is a luxury the Redskins just can't afford, given all of the other holes they desperately need to fill.

The redskins definitely need a WR. It is a bigger need than many people think.

WR is the most overrated need on the Redskins and has been for a long time. Every year we spend so many resources on the receiver position while ignoring everything else.

2001 - Rod Gardner (1st Round), Darnerian McCants (5th Round)

2002 - Gatorskins (Chris Doering, Jacquez Green, Kevin Lockett), Cliff Russell (3rd Round)

2003 - Laveranues Coles (Traded 1st Rounder), Taylor Jacobs (2nd Round)

2004 - James Thrash (Traded for 6th Rounder)

2005 - Santana Moss (Traded Coles), David Patten

2006 - Brandon Lloyd (Traded for 3rd and 4th Rounder), Antwaan Randle El

2007 - Rache Caldwell, Keenan McCardell

2008 - Devin Thomas (2nd Round), Malcolm Kelly (2nd Round)

Not to mention all the high-priced players we FAILED to acquire... Like Raghib Ismail, Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, DJ Hackett...

I mean give it up already...

WR is the most overrated need on the Redskins and has been for a long time. Every year we spend so many resources on the receiver position while ignoring everything else.

2002 - Gatorskins (Chris Doering, Jacquez Green, Kevin Lockett), Cliff Russell (3rd Round)

Not to mention all the high-priced players we FAILED to acquire... Like Raghib Ismail, Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, DJ Hackett...

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN! :notworthy

Your post supports what I said. All of those WR's with exception of Coles could not get it done. The Redskins need to find someone that can get it done. Are you saying because the Redskins have failed at getting a need they need to stop trying???!!!

Lastly, Boldin and Johnson are still a possibility.

Your post supports what I said. All of those WR's with exception of Coles could not get it done. The Redskins need to find someone that can get it done. Are you saying because the Redskins have failed at getting a need they need to stop trying???!!!

No, we need an OL that can get it done. If we have the OL, and it's still not happening, then we need a QB that can get it done.

There's a reason that the Bengals offense aren't winning despite having TJ Houshmanzadheh and Chad Johnson. There's a reason that the Cardinals weren't getting it done despite having Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, and a 1st Rounder as their #3 for the past few years. Despite making the Super Bowl, they were still only 9-7 this season.

You don't start with a WR. WR is the finishing touch. That's why Randy Moss couldn't do anything in Oakland. That's why Andre Johnson is putting up meaningless stats in Houston. That's why the Lions are stupid for drafting Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Calvin Johnson. Sure, Calvin Johnson looks like he could be a great WR but the Lions continue to lose because they chose to draft him instead of addressing other pressing needs on their team.

We could have the Posse in its prime and it wouldn't matter. Games are won and lost in the trenches and, too many times last season, the offensive line acted as a sieve and was in JC's face before he could even make his first read. Jon Jansen is, for all intents and purposes, done. Pete Kendall is 36 years old and has arthritic knees. Randy Thomas continues to battle injuries. Stephon Heyer still has problems with fundamentals. Word on the street is Chad Rinehardt (sp?) isn't in the position to make a contribution yet. Yet, you want to ignore all that to get another wide receiver? Plus, spending yet another pick and/or more money on a wideout is an admission that the front office goofed in the second round by selecting Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly.

Right now, wide receiver is a luxury we can't afford.

No, we need an OL that can get it done. If we have the OL, and it's still not happening, then we need a QB that can get it done.

There's a reason that the Bengals offense aren't winning despite having TJ Houshmanzadheh and Chad Johnson. There's a reason that the Cardinals weren't getting it done despite having Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, and a 1st Rounder as their #3 for the past few years. Despite making the Super Bowl, they were still only 9-7 this season.

You don't start with a WR. WR is the finishing touch. That's why Randy Moss couldn't do anything in Oakland. That's why Andre Johnson is putting up meaningless stats in Houston. That's why the Lions are stupid for drafting Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Calvin Johnson. Sure, Calvin Johnson looks like he could be a great WR but the Lions continue to lose because they chose to draft him instead of addressing other pressing needs on their team.

Ummm....DUH! I know that. I did not say that there was no need for OL. I just said WR is a bigger need than people think. The top needs are OL and LB, but the redskins still need another WR to produce other than Moss. Randle El stuggles to get open, Cooley disappears at times, and all the other WR's are a "?"

Ummm....DUH! I know that. I did not say that there was no need for OL. I just said WR is a bigger need than people think. The top needs are OL and LB, but the redskins still need another WR to produce other than Moss. Randle El stuggles to get open, Cooley disappears at times, and all the other WR's are a "?"

There's a reason that the Patriots fielded competent offenses despite having receivers ranging from Rache Caldwell to David Patten as starters.

There's a reason that the Eagles fielded competent offenses despite having receivers such as Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston, and James Thrash.

There's a reason that the Saints can field an offense despite having WRs they activated from the practice squad.

There's a reason the Chiefs fielded great offenses despite having only one real threat in Tony Gonzalez.

Hell, even the Steelers won the Super Bowl with Randle El as their #2.

There's a reason that the Patriots fielded competent offenses despite having receivers ranging from Rache Caldwell to David Patten as starters.

There's a reason that the Eagles fielded competent offenses despite having receivers such as Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston, and James Thrash.

There's a reason that the Saints can field an offense despite having WRs they activated from the practice squad.

There's a reason the Chiefs fielded great offenses despite having only one real threat in Tony Gonzalez.

Hell, even the Steelers won the Super Bowl with Randle El as their #2.

You can not begin to compare the redskins to the patriots. There are not many teams that survive with a bunch of garbage WR's. All I can say about the Patriots is they may have been cheating lol.

But seriously, Pinkston and Thrash were in there prime when they had their success. Why do you think they drafted DeSean Jackson? Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis couldn't do it all.

The saints had Lance Moore who can start for many. Also Reggie Bush catches most of their passes anyway.

The Chiefs had Gonzalez AND Eddie Kennison AND Holmes and Johnson.

You can not begin to compare the redskins to the patriots. There are not many teams that survive with a bunch of garbage WR's. All I can say about the Patriots is they may have been cheating lol.

But seriously, Pinkston and Thrash were in there prime when they had their success. Why do you think they drafted DeSean Jackson? Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis couldn't do it all.

The saints had Lance Moore who can start for many. Also Reggie Bush catches most of their passes anyway.

You have got ot be kidding. Todd Pinkston and James Thrash "were in there prime" so that's why the Eagles fielded a good offense? Lance Moore was activated off the practice squad. Reggie Bush is not a WR. Holmes and Johnson are not WR's. And Eddie Kennison is suddenly a great WR?

:doh:

All these teams also had halfway competent offensive lines that gave their respective quarterbacks time semi consistently. The Redskins do not. Again, it could be Art Monk and Charley Taylor at the wideouts. Until you address the offensive line, it won't matter.

You have got ot be kidding. Todd Pinkston and James Thrash "were in there prime" so that's why the Eagles fielded a good offense? Lance Moore was activated off the practice squad. Reggie Bush is not a WR. Holmes and Johnson are not WR's. And Eddie Kennison is suddenly a great WR?

:doh:

I know Lance Moore was activated off the practice squad, but he is good WR too. He isnt garbage. I know Bush isnt a WR, but he catches most of the passes for the team. Your arguments was that the Saints used practice squad WR's. Yes, they used Moore, but he should've been starting all along. I know Holmes and Johnson aren't WR's but TWO top tier RB's take the pressure off WR's right?? And Eddie Kennison was good when he was with the Chiefs.:doh:

All these teams also had halfway competent offensive lines that gave their respective quarterbacks time semi consistently. The Redskins do not. Again, it could be Art Monk and Charley Taylor at the wideouts. Until you address the offensive line, it won't matter.
I agree with you 100% that the Redskins need OLmen, but I just think they also need a WR. We can just agree to disagree....:)

Archived