Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parcells Philosophy on Buying the Groceries

In reading a Yahoo Sports Blog interview with Bill Parcells I came across this quote:

I think part of buying the groceries is having a philosophy and trying to stick to it as best you can, knowing that occasionally you may make an exception. But, you do so knowing you're attempting to do it for a certain reason and you have to be very careful not to try to make too many exceptions, because then you wind up as a franchise, as a friend of mine used to say, with a team full of exceptions, which is not what you want.

With all the threads about the Front Office and team/dynasty building, seemed like a worthy conversation starter for the Stadium.

I think that any organization should try to have a constantly evolving 10 year draft plan, position by position. Obviously you will always have to make changes based on players not performing as hoped, injuries, etc.

But never lose sight of that plan. If you do, you can get stuck with 1/2 of your defense needing to be replaced in a matter of 2-3 years.:doh:

And our philosophy has been to build offense and defense starting at the skill positions, and not the lines.

Hey, at least we've stuck to it.

Actually, although we have neglected the lines horribly, we could be pretty good right now following that drafting philosophy. The problem is we haven't done a good job evaluating talent and fitting people into the spots that they are right for. That's where the failure comes from.

Actually, although we have neglected the lines horribly, we could be pretty good right now following that drafting philosophy. The problem is we haven't done a good job evaluating talent and fitting people into the spots that they are right for. That's where the failure comes from.

I think you're right, up until 2008. Last season the O-line finally just got too old and too injured.

And if we had a great D-line, our defense would be #1.

you have to be very careful not to try to make too many exceptions, because then you wind up as a franchise, as a friend of mine used to say, with a team full of exceptions, which is not what you want.

This is exactly what this franchise has done for over a decade in respect to the defensive line.

They've ignored it to the point that the defensive coordinator has to cover up for the front office by making outlandish statements such as "sacks are overrated".

And every April it's the same thing. It's always "there's no one of value for defensive line where we pick."

Now I might agree with that for 1 or 2 drafts but for 11 years?? That's hogwash.

This April, it will be another exception when it comes our turn to pick. Guaranteed.

I wish we had a GM as competent as Parcells is. :(

I think part of buying the groceries is having a philosophy and trying to stick to it as best you can, knowing that occasionally you may make an exception. But, you do so knowing you're attempting to do it for a certain reason and you have to be very careful not to try to make too many exceptions, because then you wind up as a franchise, as a friend of mine used to say, with a team full of exceptions, which is not what you want.
Parcells always makes a list of groceries needed and items that should always be in stock. He then clips coupons and bargain hunts prior to making the big purchases. If the cupboard was to full of certain stock and there wasn't enough of other items he barters the unwanted away, usually getting the better of the trading partner.

The Redskins are constantly running to the high priced local quick mart for one or two items or are on the wrong end of Parcells type trade.

Parcells like most good personnel people, builds his teams mainly through the draft.:2cents:

I don't think that a list of groceries would help because the list would be flawed. Look at the Eagles, Giants, or most other teams for that matter. The inundate both lines with high draft picks no matter what the perceived "value" is at their slot.

What does our team do? They throw Rob Jackson at us and tell us that the problem's solved. Nice. He and Chris Wilson will undoubtedly be a terror for years to come.

We pick up Stephon Heyer via free agency, play him out of position and long before he should be ready. We recycle Jason Fabini. Those of us still in the seats at FedEx wait patiently expecting Ray Brown to walk through the tunnel and start at right tackle.

And here's the best part. None of this will change any time soon!

They've ignored it to the point that the defensive coordinator has to cover up for the front office by making outlandish statements such as "sacks are overrated".

Blache actually said that when he was coaching with the Bears, and like most statements taken out of context, people misunderstand what he actually meant by that.

Wow I can't believe so many people are riding Parcells' jock. He sure led the Cowboys to a superbowl:doh: How well did he build the Cowboys O-line? Every starter on their line is 30+....I will take Gibbs anyday over him. Gibbs>Parcells.

Oh and I'm sick of people talking about how sorry our line is. It is now, because these guys are old. But we have had one of the better lines in the NFL for the past 5 years. Rabach was playing solid when we picked him up from the Ravens. Jansen used to be a top tackle in the NFL. Samuels is a top tackle in the NFL. Randy Thomas was a solid guard as well. Dockery was the weakest link on our line, and he isn't too bad considering the big deal the Bills gave him.

Maybe we haven't been drafting line in the early rounds because we have had a great line in recent years. The age is now starting to catch up though, but a few solid moves will solidify that.

Blache actually said that when he was coaching with the Bears, and like most statements taken out of context, people misunderstand what he actually meant by that.

Even Gregg Williams downplayed sacks when he was here.

Why? Because he didn't want to disparage the guys he was given to work with. Same as Blache.

Stop the run and stop the pass if you get a sack even better always try for it but many teams have won it all without a heavy sack production.

Though sacks are a little overrated they are still very important and definitely change momentum but I can see why that comment would come out.

Having the discipline to stick to a plan is a good thing, of course. George Allen said the same thing back in the 70s. George's plan and Marty's were similar -- aggressive defense, conservative offense, beat the weak sisters in the regular season, then lose to a good, well-balanced team in the playoffs.

If the goal is to win Super Bowls, though. You'd better start with a plan designed to do it.

Even Gregg Williams downplayed sacks when he was here.

Why? Because he didn't want to disparage the guys he was given to work with. Same as Blache.

Gregg downplayed sacks and turnovers in Buffalo and Jacksonville also. Jax dropped from 30 takeaways in 2007 to 17 last year. Blache's defense had 18, so together they combined for 35, one more than the Ravens 34.

Another telling quote.

Would it be fair to say your proud of the way things have turned out up to this point?

Parcells: Well, we got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. So, that's not what I'm here to do.

The Tuna has never built a Super Bowl winner; has he? He has a reputation for quick turnarounds, but then his teams have flattened out.

The Tuna has never built a Super Bowl winner; has he? He has a reputation for quick turnarounds, but then his teams have flattened out.

I'm not sure how much credit you give to Tuna with George Young (?) up in NY but the Giants did win two Super Bowls under Parcells.

The Patriots got to the Super Bowl.

The Jets were in the AFCCG two years after winning one game.

The Cowboys were a 5-11 team for a few years running and Tuna comes in and goes 10-6 his first year and has them in strong playoff contention three our of his four years there. And 13-3 the year after he leaves. I think what drove him from the sidelines in Dallas was the team's penchant to collapse in December in a big way, and I think maybe made him realize he had perhaps lost it as far as being a coach was concerned.

Yes, the ultimate goal is to win the ring. But would I take Bill's record against the crap we've had here recently?

I'm not sure how much credit you give to Tuna with George Young (?) up in NY but the Giants did win two Super Bowls under Parcells.

He coached the team. He didn't build it.

Yes, the ultimate goal is to win the ring. But would I take Bill's record against the crap we've had here recently?

That's not the point.

If the goal is to build a team to win rings, why take the advice of someone who has had several opportunities and failed?

Just pointing out the stark contrast between other teams and the Redskins.

The Denver Broncos have a better winning percentage than the Redskins and they chose to get rid of Mike Shanahan. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have almost the exact same results as the Redskins season to season the past few years, and they got rid of Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden. The Dolphins went 11-5 and made the playoffs, but Bill Parcells says he is not satisfied.

Meanwhile, people here seem to think making the playoffs as the wildcard 2 out of 4 years is some sort of accomplishment... Or 8-8...

I've been dying to know what he meant by that. Do you have the quote in context or can you explain what he was trying to say?

Agree or disagree with the FO, and I am on the bandwagon to dump Vinny, they deserve another off season.

The coaching staff does deserve another chance. I disliked some things Zorn and Co. did, but overall I thought he did a good job for a rookie head coach. Note, he can only coach the players that he is given.

On the rookie class, let's see how year two goes. Vinny drafted some of the players knowing they might take a year to develop. I will give them that year and see how they look this coming training camp.

I am patiently sitting back and watching how Vinny conducts his off season. Let's see who he keeps and who he tries to acquire. Can he make the tough move and dump Taylor? I don't disagree with not going after the big money FA's, but he has to pick up someone. And for someone's sake, stop giving away draft picks.

I also want to see how he does in the draft.

Lastly, one of the toughest decisions will be made a QB. Why not open it up to the best player. Let Colt compete for the job against JC.

Yes, Vinny gets one more season to demonstrate he belongs.

Meanwhile, people here seem to think making the playoffs as the wildcard 2 out of 4 years is some sort of accomplishment...

I understand now and agree.

I'm not sure if fans don't understand that you can make a plan that makes it more likely to stay mediocre and less likely to consistently compete for championships, or if they don't care as long as we get a wildcard every other year.

Lastly, one of the toughest decisions will be made a QB. Why not open it up to the best player. Let Colt compete for the job against JC.

I'm in agreement with all your points, but I'll answer this question.

We don't have enough evidence to know whether an open competition is a good idea or not. Jim Zorn is the only one capable of making that decision.

This is purely a guess. I doubt that Colt is ready; and they need to make a judgment on Jason who didn't perform either badly enough or good enough in 2008 to allow for a solid judgment.

Archived