Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parcells Philosophy on Buying the Groceries

Don't duck the question. Give me a name.

I think that's mostly talk. It seems to me that most are happy just being in the wild card hunt. They have supported every win-now, short-term move the front office has ever made in the Snyder era. Eleven percent in this forum joined me in opposing the trading of picks for Jason Taylor.

Where were you on that one?

1: I'm not the one being facetious here. You are.

2: I hated the move for Jason Taylor.

One, because it showed that Vinny and Dan were still up to their old tricks of acquiring washed up stars and two, it allowed Parcells to once again expose our poor roster management because we don't draft lineman under the Snyderatto philosophy.

1: I'm not the one being facetious here. You are.

2: I hated the move for Jason Taylor.

One, because it showed that Vinny and Dan were still up to their old tricks of acquiring washed up stars and two, it allowed Parcells to once again expose our poor roster management because we don't draft lineman under the Snyderatto philosophy.

Who needs to draft linemen when you can just go and use a 2nd rounder on 34 year old 10M$ a year players who may or may not stick around for more than 1 year? Never mind that his position was already filled too.

It's kind of like if Sellers went down, we go out and sign Tomlinson for 10M to play fullback. We already have Portis at RB, but Tomlinson is so good he could maybe still fill a position that he doesn't play if he holds up for the season.

I'm not the one being facetious here. You are.

You aren't being facetious; you are simply ducking the question.

You aren't going to give me the name of someone you feel has been proven competent in building dynasties are you?

Scott Pioli would have been your only reasonable choice, but he's anything but a slam dunk because:

= Belichick had the final say on Pioli's selections; they didn't always agree

= The scheme Pioli selected talent for was Belichick's

= Pioli is probably leaving a sinking ship; that roster is old especially on defense

= Pioli wasn't available until this year. Even if Snyder had landed him, it would have meant turning everything over again on the hope that Pioli has the right stuff.

You aren't being facetious; you are simply ducking the question.

You aren't going to give me the name of someone you feel has been proven competent in building dynasties are you?

Scott Pioli would have been your only reasonable choice, but he's anything but a slam dunk because:

I don't think they need to find the one guy, because there isn't one guy who does it all.

If we do things the way teams like NE, Pittsburgh, Philly, GB(lately), Minnesota(lately), SD, Tenn(since blowing it up) have been and have the best people to identify the correct players for our team, with good coaching, we will be competitive for years and could be great.

Notice that a few years ago the only examples were NE and Philly, now it seems that every team is trying to build their way rather than the Wash/Denver way of signing as many free agents as you can fit under the cap every year while minimizing the draft.

My only issue really is that I don't think Vinny and Zorn are the answer and that Snyder can't keep from making bad decisions, but I could be wrong of course.

Parcells always makes a list of groceries needed and items that should always be in stock. He then clips coupons and bargain hunts prior to making the big purchases. If the cupboard was to full of certain stock and there wasn't enough of other items he barters the unwanted away, usually getting the better of the trading partner.

The Redskins are constantly running to the high priced local quick mart for one or two items or are on the wrong end of Parcells type trade.

Parcells like most good personnel people, builds his teams mainly through the draft.:2cents:

Nice analogy. I like that!:applause:

I don't think they need to find the one guy, because there isn't one guy who does it all.

If we do things the way teams like NE, Pittsburgh, Philly, GB(lately), Minnesota(lately), SD, Tenn(since blowing it up) have been and have the best people to identify the correct players for our team, with good coaching, we will be competitive for years and could be great.

Notice that a few years ago the only examples were NE and Philly, now it seems that every team is trying to build their way rather than the Wash/Denver way of signing as many free agents as you can fit under the cap every year while minimizing the draft.

My only issue really is that I don't think Vinny and Zorn are the answer and that Snyder can't keep from making bad decisions, but I could be wrong of course.

You summed up the situation nicely, in my opinion. However, I will add that while I'm not impressed by the brainpower among our decision-makers, I see that as less a problem than killing Dan's win-now goals.

Archived