Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR:Washington Redskins: Five Defensive Draft Targets For 2009

Chump Bailey

Visit link for full article and to see slideshow of defensive draft recommendations...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/116889-washington-redskins-five-defensive-draft-targets-for-2009

Don't let the 2008 Redskins defensive statistics fool you. Yeah they were fourth in the league allowing just 288.8 yards per game, also fifth in both time of possession and penalties, so they played smart, big deal.

Where the Redskins have continued to fail the past few seasons is their inability to create pressure, turnovers, and defensive scores. They were tied with San Francisco and Atlanta for third worst in total turnovers with just 18.

Their 13 interceptions were good for just T-17th best in the league. Their five other turnovers came in the form of fumble recoveries which was only bested for worst in the league by the Jacksonville Jaguars (4). The reasons for the lack of play making starts with defensive line.

The Jason Taylor hype ended Week one with his calf injury which caused him to arguably have his worse statistical season of his 12 year career, he only earned his $8-million dollar contract in Week 16 with two sacks against the Eagles.

Half of these suggestions read, "I mean, I know that he's not perfect for the Redskins's system, having never played in a 4-3, but maybe we might squeeze him in."

Dumb article.

And, for Christ's sake, it's "L-O-S-E". God damn.

And yes, I'm cranky.

Ayers looks interesting, especially if we could land him later in a trade down. Getting Ayers would not bother me at all. No DL is worthy of the #13 overall pick IMO.

wow, Robert Ayers is getting waaaay too much press due to the senior bowl. He's right now listed as the 13th best DE on NFL Draft Countdown but it looks like he's gonna rise real fast. I'm all for a former Vols doing well, but I'm not sure about him. That d-line did not come together and play well until later in the season when it was too little too late for the Vols. Considering we were the 15th best defense in NCAA, I'd think his numbers would be higher.

I'm worried that he may just be a practice wonder. He also looked really good in the spring game in 2008.

Pressure =s turnovers.....We have problems on both lines but we also need a blitzing linebacker. Marcus Washington is still young enough to have a bounce back year but he hasn't been healthy and has been on severe decline for some time now.

I can not believe Ayers is being considered a first round defensive end prospect. He has NINE sacks in his ENTIRE college career. Most first round defensive ends have over nine sacks in one season. The safety on his team (eric berry) got as many sacks as he did this year. That's just sad. Maybe the Vols play some sort of zany defense where the defensive ends go back in coverage in 80% of the plays, but I doubt it.

Also, they got the wrong Cal linebacker. Zack Follett would be a better pick. For a guy coming off a 25 tfl/10.5 sack season he hasn't gotten a whole lot of talk. He did play in a 3-4 this year but has experience in a 4-3 the previous 2 years where he put up 5.5 sacks each year.

I'm terrible at projecting individual players until close to the draft when they have been covered enough for those of us who don't follow college football closely.

But I do know one thing... We need a big, strong, dominant DT more than we need a DE. I want someone who will bring pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket and force QBs out towards the DE's we have. A great DT would also firm up our run defense and take pressure off of our linebackers and let them make plays.

:2cents:

But I do know one thing... We need a big, strong, dominant DT more than we need a DE. I want someone who will bring pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket and force QBs out towards the DE's we have. A great DT would also firm up our run defense and take pressure off of our linebackers and let them make plays.

:2cents:

Absolutely agree, if we're getting the next Sed Ellis with Peria then I would be all for it. I still think we are absolutely zeroing in on the OL though especially in light of Buges's cocerns about it and Rinehart and Heyer. We need OL help urgently.

Archived