Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Maske: Portis Says He and Zorn Are 'Together'

skinsfannyc76

Thought I'd share this with everybody (if you're like me, the offseason is just way too long and I'm always on the lookout for any Skins news):

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/01/portis-says-he-and-zorn-are-together.html

Riggo is particularly rough (or honest, depending on how you look at it): but our lack of pass rush aside, which he doesn't go into (and which I think is more a function of our DTs than DEs, but that's another thread), I think Riggo recognizes the main issue, that is, our offensive shortcomings.

"Portis did a decent job finding the holes earlier in the season" - Riggo

Okay, sorry Riggo, that's just stupid. Your dislike for CP is really annoying and pointless. You need to get over the fact that he is going to become the Redskins all time leading rusher and you will be second to him. Big deal. Just give the man credit for what he does well, regardless of what you think of him.

I heard Richard Justice on the Sports Reporters this afternoon say that Zorn had scolded Portis during a Saturday practice and then Zorn received a call from the owner saying that we don't do things this way.

Justice also believed that the reason that Gibbs retired wasn't because of his family. He believes that it was because Dan Snyder was too meddlesome. Take it for what it is worth, but I think that Justice is a very good reporter and I don't think that he gets too much wrong.

"Portis did a decent job finding the holes earlier in the season" - Riggo

Okay, sorry Riggo, that's just stupid. Your dislike for CP is really annoying and pointless. You need to get over the fact that he is going to become the Redskins all time leading rusher and you will be second to him. Big deal. Just give the man credit for what he does well, regardless of what you think of him.

I know. If he wasn't John Riggins I'd ask him if he ever heard of John Riggins. Talk about the pot and the kettle.....

John Riggins was the biggest prima donna and he talks about Portis like he was a model player. As far as the Gibbs retired because of Dan Snyder being meddlesome is just another stupid comment by a uninformed person with no support or proof. Until I hear that from Gibbs or Dan Snyder himself then it is just another sad attempt at making the team situation look worst than it already is. And getting rid of Portis isn't the answer to our problems because he was one of the only bright spot on team. Jason Campbell didn't perform well and neither did anyone else but we need to get rid of our best back. How stupid does that sound. Betts isn't the answer because if he were then he would have played more. You can't say he was hurt all season and say that is why he didn't play as much. I guess I am watching a different team and a different game because I think that Betts is not as good as everyone thinks he is. Riggins was the same type of player as Portis and because he won a Super Bowl or two he gets a pass on his actions. He needs to look in the mirror and just shut the **** up.

I heard Richard Justice on the Sports Reporters this afternoon say that Zorn had scolded Portis during a Saturday practice and then Zorn received a call from the owner saying that we don't do things this way.

Justice also believed that the reason that Gibbs retired wasn't because of his family. He believes that it was because Dan Snyder was too meddlesome. Take it for what it is worth, but I think that Justice is a very good reporter and I don't think that he gets too much wrong.

That's baseless....Justice needs to come up with some facts to back that up. Gibbs retired after the exhaustion of a season that included the passing of Sean Taylor and the family health issues he had as well. Justice is reaching and just tossing something out there hoping it sticks.

Betts isn't the answer because if he were then he would have played more.

So you are implying that the coaches know the difference between the answer, and what isn't the answer?

If that were the case would Gibbs start Campbell and Brunell over Collins until he had no choice but to start Collins? Collins obviously wasn't the answer, because he didn't play until Campbell had a major injury. Then this year Zorn goes back to Campbell.

Clinton "Me First" Portis will never be a skin long enough to surpass Riggins' career statistics.

First of all, Portis couldnt even lace up John Riggins' jock strap. I can't believe the Riggins hate on this board. So many former players and other people around the NFL have made statements about Portis' bad attitude and reasons why he is detrimental to the team, and yet this board never lets it sink in.

How can we have the right to disrespect John Riggins when all he is doing, like so many others right now, is being honest? Honestly, I believe what he says is the truth. The players indeed run the skins organization. Joe Gibbs did indeed grow weary of Dan Snyder's meddling. Joe Gibbs did indeed want to start Todd Collins last season, had he stayed.

Portis does not care about anything else but himself and his stats. I truly believe that 2009 is his last season as a redskin. Too many people are noticing the problems that he brings to the team. IMO, his drop off in production is the LEAST of those...

riggo's jealousy and dislike for portis is painfully transparent... when portis was running wild in the first half of the season, he was saying portis wasn't doing anything special, just running through big holes... then in the second half of the season, he continually lambasted portis for slacking off and being an average back at best...

riggo is one of those older players that just can not step aside and let anyone else have the praise he once did... I had to listen to him just about every day on sirius radio (was on at the place I worked) and if he wasn't hating on portis, he was ranting how the steelers and ravens were not physical teams (by his standards, back in the day that was just called football, not physical football) and the hits we are seeing from both teams were nothing special... he also can't clear his f'ing throat before he filibusters for 30 jealous minutes... he's the typical, boring "back in my day, I had to walk 2 hours to school in the snow uphill... both ways!!"

all that said, I can't stand either him or portis and would love to get a true team player carrying the rock for us, not some attention starved, infant who simply can not separate his need to be in the spotlight over the big picture: the team...

Clinton "Me First" Portis will never be a skin long enough to surpass Riggins' career statistics.

First of all, Portis couldnt even lace up John Riggins' jock strap. I can't believe the Riggins hate on this board. So many former players and other people around the NFL have made statements about Portis' bad attitude and reasons why he is detrimental to the team, and yet this board never lets it sink in.

How can we have the right to disrespect John Riggins when all he is doing, like so many others right now, is being honest? Honestly, I believe what he says is the truth. The players indeed run the skins organization. Joe Gibbs did indeed grow weary of Dan Snyder's meddling. Joe Gibbs did indeed want to start Todd Collins last season, had he stayed.

Portis does not care about anything else but himself and his stats. I truly believe that 2009 is his last season as a redskin. Too many people are noticing the problems that he brings to the team. IMO, his drop off in production is the LEAST of those...

1. He makes too much to get rid of

2. Danny boy loves him

I agree however, I believe Riggo is stating the obvious most of the time. I think he was a great player and did a lot of the Redskins, but listening to him on the radio is so painful.. He goes out of his way to be a complete jackass because he thinks he's being cool..

I'd love to see CP out of here, after last year hearing him ***** about his stats and the coaches and pointing the finger acting like a spoiled little *****, I don't want him here anymore.

And if extra money was put into his contract for him to show up to OTA's and work outs, his ass better be there or give the money back. That's friggen insane we had to pay him to come train with his team.. God I hate him

Portis didn't seem too happy on NFL Network yesterday...he made a comment that left me with a bad taste in my mouth (can't find the video online).

I think I've finally gone to McD5's side on this one. I love how hard Portis plays, but I'm tired of the "me first" attitude. If we can pull off a decent trade getting him out of here and pickup Sproles I'd be the happiest guy on here.

I cant believe you clowns have turned this positive story into a bash Portis thread. Its unbelievable, don't even know why I come to this board anymore

Then don't come here....this board is for discussion for all points of view. If you can't understand that, maybe you are the clown.

Also, give evidence to refute any of the Portis "bashing" that is going on in this thread.

It's not just Riggins saying it....its Brian Mitchell too.....People need to wake up and realize that Portis' act is childish, and nothing but a NEGATIVE to this team, and it's chemistry.

If Dan Snyder did call Zorn and tell him "that's not how we do things around here after he scolded Portis"...then that's just absolutely ridiculous. I sure hope Snyder is smarter than that...if not, this team has way bigger problems than i could've ever imagined. NO MAN IS ABOVE THE TEAM....and i don't care how good Portis is, is or whatever....he's not above the team, or the Coach for that matter.

I can't believe that Snyder would align himself so close to any player.....being a business man, he's gotta know the perils that come with doing that.

I sure hope that statement above by Richard Justice is false.....if not....we got big problems.

I won't argue that Dan Snyder is too medlesome because I believe we all know the answer to that question. But, I honestly believe Coach Gibbs stepped away for every single reason that he mentioned when it announced. I honestly believe if the tragic situation of Sean Taylor wouldn't have taken place that Coach Gibbs would of finished out of his contract. That entire situation not only brought a lot of stress and heartache to the entire team, but it also made people realize that life is too short. With everything going on with Coach Gibbs grandchild I believe he honestly took that has a blessing in disguise.

With the Zorn lashing Portis comment. I can't say that I don't believe it because I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it did happen. But, Coach Zorn is the coach. What he says goes, and if Snyder or Portis or anyone else has an issue with that then this organization isn't ever going to get anywhere with that type of attitude. Allow Coach Zorn to COACH. That's what your paying him to do.

There is no way they are together, I don't think Zorn has any confidence in Portis AT ALL..Hence the Bengals game when Sellers got the ball twice on the 1...we will be stuck with this drama for a couple more years...:munchout:

Actually only 1 more year. After 2009 if we cut Portis we will save money against the cap.

Next year we will save $1.6M. The year after we will save about $6M.

Not as bad as everyone makes it seem.

There is no way they are together, I don't think Zorn has any confidence in Portis AT ALL..Hence the Bengals game when Sellers got the ball twice on the 1...we will be stuck with this drama for a couple more years...:munchout:

Zorn is an idiot if that's the reason he put Sellers in there. Sellers is overrated as a runner and has no business with the ball in his hands. He needs to be running in front of CP blocking for him.

Portis always seems to find a way to punch the ball in when we're on the goal line. The decision to opt for Sellers was just as stupid as Gibbs putting Betts in there against the Giants in the infamous 2007 game when they stuffed him on the goal line.

Zorn is an idiot if that's the reason he put Sellers in there. Sellers is overrated as a runner and has no business with the ball in his hands. He needs to be running in front of CP blocking for him.

Portis always seems to find a way to punch the ball in when we're on the goal line. The decision to opt for Sellers was just as stupid as Gibbs putting Betts in there against the Giants in the infamous 2007 game when they stuffed him on the goal line.

How is Zorn the idiot?

Look if your OL can't get a 1 yard push against the Cinncinatti Bengals then you have BIGGER issues then who is getting the football. Mike Sellers has proven over the years that in his limited carries he can move a pile.

Unfortunatley, our OL during that play got beat. Plain and simple. Would CP of gotten a touchdown when our OL was simply getting stood up? I highly doubt it.

People are so quick to question playcalling once something doesn't work. I myself questioned that exact same call (well personel really) when the play went down, but looking back it I realized that our OL got no push what so ever on both of those goal line calls. Remember football is a team game, sounds cliche but it's the damn truth

Some of you are so quick to put the blame on just one guy. Hell, I can still remember Pete Kendell getting beat on that play against the Giants 2 years ago. I don't care if freak Walter Peyton is carrying the rock (god rest his soul) if you don't execute the blocking then of course the play call looks bad

Archived