Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Maske: Portis Says He and Zorn Are 'Together'

skinsfannyc76

I heard Richard Justice on the Sports Reporters this afternoon say that Zorn had scolded Portis during a Saturday practice and then Zorn received a call from the owner saying that we don't do things this way.

Justice also believed that the reason that Gibbs retired wasn't because of his family. He believes that it was because Dan Snyder was too meddlesome. Take it for what it is worth, but I think that Justice is a very good reporter and I don't think that he gets too much wrong.

i agree....i think gibbs was sick of the snyda.cerrato joke show....gibbs is not retired he is working pretty hard at nascar....

Couldn't disagree more with your perception.

I'm an old time Skins fan who wasn't sure about Riggo when he came over from the Jets, because I was used to Bobby Mitchell and Larry Brown style running backs.

Riggins and Portis have a great deal more in common than they do differences. Both are proud warriors who play football the old fashioned way, hard nosed and all out. Both want to feel appreciated as elite at their position and as leaders, respected by teammates and foes. Both have that borderline insanity personna that makes them unpredictable and fascinating.

I have great regard and respect for John Riggins, but I think he may not be applying the same standards to Clinton Portis's behavior as he applied to himself when he was a player. Part of his perspective is quite understandable...he is older, and perhaps a bit wiser, now than when he was an active player (although the older I get the more I question this supposed older/wiser connection) so he views player behavior on and off the field through a different prism.

Kind of reminds me of how I sometimes get frustrated when my children (now all grown up of course) mirror behaviors of mine that I wish they hadn't learned from me. Not sure if I am more frustrated that they behave that way or because I realized they learned it from me.

Clinton Portis has been a great Redskin and has earned the right to be considered among our greatest players. John Riggins was also one of our greatest Redskins. There's no need to understate one's contributions and talents in order to celebrate the other's. :point2sky

I love those moments when I'm making rounds and stumble across a well-thought out intelligent post that models being informed, balanced, reasonable, interesting, and even wise. I wish it were more common so that when it happens it doesn't almost startle me. :)

You didn't give any injury credit to the Skins though. CP def. gets the bulk of the carries, but Betts was out for a little while with an injury (it's why we brought in Alexander). Our team you only looked at 2 backs, the other teams you looked at all contributing backs. I def. agree we need a change of pace back to compliment Portis, and IMO Betts isn't that guy. However, the stats should look at all the touches each back had for each team, and the percentage for the main back vs. the back-ups should then be assessed, your stats, while good, are skewed.

CP was also knicked up quite a bit in the 2nd half and when Betts was hurt we brought in Alexander (who only had 11 touches).

I added all contributing backs for other teams that carried the ball more times than I did this year :silly:

The reason why you think it's skewed is because it's ridiculous what we are doing in giving Portis most of the touches when we run the ball. Alexander would've been the 3rd highest rusher on the team with 11.

The stats aren't skewed in any way, it's just that large of a difference.

I'm an old time Skins fan who wasn't sure about Riggo when he came over from the Jets, because I was used to Bobby Mitchell and Larry Brown style running backs.

Riggins and Portis have a great deal more in common than they do differences. Both are proud warriors who play football the old fashioned way, hard nosed and all out. Both want to feel appreciated as elite at their position and as leaders, respected by teammates and foes. Both have that borderline insanity personna that makes them unpredictable and fascinating.

I have great regard and respect for John Riggins, but I think he may not be applying the same standards to Clinton Portis's behavior as he applied to himself when he was a player. Part of his perspective is quite understandable...he is older, and perhaps a bit wiser, now than when he was an active player (although the older I get the more I question this supposed older/wiser connection) so he views player behavior on and off the field through a different prism.

Kind of reminds me of how I sometimes get frustrated when my children (now all grown up of course) mirror behaviors of mine that I wish they hadn't learned from me. Not sure if I am more frustrated that they behave that way or because I realized they learned it from me.

Clinton Portis has been a great Redskin and has earned the right to be considered among our greatest players. John Riggins was also one of our greatest Redskins. There's no need to understate one's contributions and talents in order to celebrate the other's. :point2sky

I don't think I ever heard Riggins turn on his own teammates or coach like Portis has. He lost his cool in a game when the coach pulled him out. I LOVE Portis, always have. He's too honest and outspoken in public. He pulled the team together after Taylor's death and before when he did the Southeast Jerome thing, so he's a valuable Redskins player. He has no line because the management didn't give him one. He hasn't had any passing game whatsoever to open up the running game which makes him valuable. Portis is right about his perceptions on the HC and management. He just needs to bite his tongue from now on out.

I can't believe the Riggins hate on this board. So many former players and other people around the NFL have made statements about Portis' bad attitude and reasons why he is detrimental to the team, and yet this board never lets it sink in.

How can we have the right to disrespect John Riggins when all he is doing, like so many others right now, is being honest?

Indeed, Riggo is not afraid. What our team needs is a huge dose of reality. Reality is yo friend, Redskins FO. It's called Denial, and it ain't no river in Egypt.

On another note. I am shocked. I know I had heard the rumors about Portis and all. But Zorn! I thought he was married!

Riggo means well but when he played he was the center of attention with everyone in the D.C. area and he overshadowed Joey T. and the other players. But Gibbs knew he needed Riggo too. Riggo is right about the front office giving Portis too much attention. Remember how the owner used to go in the locker room when Norv was here? He never learns from his mistakes. (and I am no Norv Turner fan either by the way). The Skins have become Dan and Vinny's fantasy football team.

Then don't come here....this board is for discussion for all points of view. If you can't understand that, maybe you are the clown.

Also, give evidence to refute any of the Portis "bashing" that is going on in this thread.

Perhaps you could encourage the Portis bashers to use some evidence.

John Riggins talking about someone being selfish and having poor work habits is laughable. Sure he is a "legendary" Redskin but hardly known for his conditioning and "team first" attitude.

Portis is a beast and will be in the Hall of Fame. Every year we made the playoffs it was because Portis carried the team on his back. Nobody can dispute that. For everyone that wants Portis gone...who do you suggest we get to replace him? Do you really think Sproles would survive in our conservative run it up the middle offense? Yea right. Peoplf got mad when Portis talked about our o-line and our scheme (which he was completely right about), but now what is the #1 wish list for the draft? A o-lineman and people want Gross from Carolina in free agency. You people make me laugh. You ride his nutz for half of the season now all of a sudden he is average and needs to be traded. Just imagine how good CP would be if we had an aggressive offense that liked to throw the ball downfield...wait I dont have to imagine...we were 6-2 and CP had 300 yards more then the next rb in yardage. Get a clue people.

Perhaps you could encourage the Portis bashers to use some evidence.

John Riggins talking about someone being selfish and having poor work habits is laughable. Sure he is a "legendary" Redskin but hardly known for his conditioning and "team first" attitude.

You can't be serious, can you? Where have you been all season?

Amen :applause:...Nicely said.

CP is the best player on the team. Probably the best RB in team history, in the top 3 anyway. It surprises me that nobody feels like our coach let us down by not using any of our draft picks in the offense. No development of young talent. The wr's were an after thought as was Davis and we spent a 3rd rd. pick on a guard who can't even manage to stay active. Coach Zorn was in way over his head, hopefully he will be better next year.

Yeah, I can be serious. Not only can I be serious... I am serious. WinSkins post sums up my point pretty well.

I don't disagree with his post at all.

It's just the people that are "bashing" CP in this thread are doing so for his mouth. He needs to shut the **** up, man up about it, and just play.

Archived