Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"If Roethlisberger didn't get hurt, Redskins could be in SB XLIII "

SKINchiefer

The Patriots going from 16-0 to 11-5 is not comparable to the Redskins at all.

The Patriots and Colts having consistent winning seasons, multiple playoff appearances, and winning at least one Super Bowl is considered a success and that is what the Redskins should be trying to achieve. If the Redskins organization has a different idea of what "success" is, I'd like to hear it and promptly laugh at how pitiful the team has become.

Meanwhile the Giants were 4-12 the prior season and Kurt Warner only started nine games. They were 5-4 when he was benched for Eli Manning. The Redskins at the same point in time were 3-6.

The ultimate success is winning the super bowl.

Other than that there are different levels of success. Everything doesn't call for blowing things up and starting all over. Even the Colts weren't seen as a successful team until Dungy won one. Until then Manning was being compared to Marino as another great QB who'll never win one. Is that a successful career? Its debatable.

I knew somebody'd find an excuse as to why we don't compare to the Giants. So is it better to compare the Zorn to coaches who took over playoff teams?

Lets look at the Vikings. In 2005, they went 9-7 Under Mike Tice.

Lets look at their 2006 stats.

Vikings of 2006

Yards: 4943

Plays: 1025

Yards per play: 4.8

First Downs: 272

Completions: 332

Pass Atts: 540

Pass Yards: 3123

Pass TDs: 13

INTs: 20

Net Yards Per Att: 5.4

Rush Atts: 442

Rush Yards: 1820

Yards per attempt: 4.1

Rush 1st downs: 87

Turnovers: 32

Fumbles lost: 12

First DOwns by Penalty: 25

Redskins of 2008

Yards: 5120

Plays: 1026

Yards per play: 5.0

First Downs: 295

Completions: 318

Pass Atts: 510

Pass Yards: 3025

Pass TDs: 14

INTs: 6

Net Yards Per Att: 5.5

Rush Atts: 478

Rush Yards: 2095

Yards per attempt: 4.4

Rush 1st downs: 109

Turnovers: 18

Fumbles lost: 12

First DOwns by Penalty: 21

THE STATS ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, the Vikings were in their first year under Brad Childress (who just took his team to the playoffs this year).

The Vikings had a record of 6-10 that year.

The Vikings also finished 2-6 after a 4-4 start that year.

How did the Vikings do in the next few seasons?

They went 8-8 in Brad Childress's second year.

They went 10-6 in Brad Childress's third year.

Now whats going to be the thing that makes this a bad comparison?

Exactly!

So basically if our defense was a little worse (and didn't hit so hard), we'd have matched up with the Steelers twice in the past 4 years. And, since Big Ben is playing, we'd have 2 more Lombardis!

Now I don't want Vinny to draft DL so we can regress a little bit on D...:silly:

lol we are definitely on the same page here...

Oh yeah, the Vikings were in their first year under Brad Childress (who just took his team to the playoffs this year).

The Vikings had a record of 6-10 that year.

The Vikings also finished 2-6 after a 4-4 start that year.

How did the Vikings do in the next few seasons?

They went 8-8 in Brad Childress's second year.

They went 10-6 in Brad Childress's third year.

Now whats going to be the thing that makes this a bad comparison?

So now you're saying we should be optimistic because we might be a Brad Childress story.

:doh:

One thing to note is the Vikings actually know the importance of their offensive and defensive lines. There's something to be said when the Vikings had the #1 rush defense last year, and they realized that their defensive line still needed help so they picked up Jared Allen.

Meanwhile, we have posters here who claim our defensive line is fine because they stop the run.

So now you're saying we should be optimistic because we might be a Brad Childress story.

I'm saying that we shouldn't be pessimistic saying that we are certain to be 2-14 next year, as some people are doing.

We don't know how Brad Childrss will do as a coach because he's not a completed story. But his record has improved every year and I see no reason to believe that ours can't too.

I'm saying that we shouldn't be pessimistic saying that we are certain to be 2-14 next year, as some people are doing.

We don't know how Brad Childrss will do as a coach because he's not a completed story. But his record has improved every year and I see no reason to believe that ours can't too.

So if we make the playoffs and lose in the wildcard round, it will be a success because we matched Brad Childress. :doh:

One thing to note is the Vikings actually know the importance of their offensive and defensive lines. There's something to be said when the Vikings had the #1 rush defense last year, and they realized that their defensive line still needed help so they picked up Jared Allen.

Meanwhile, we have posters here who claim our defensive line is fine because they stop the run.

They got the league leader in sacks in 2007, we got the active leader in sacks. I say its a toss up. If you call that addressing the line, then why isn't us getting Taylor the same?

I was against Taylor and I think that the team needs to learn to improve through the draft. Last year (last two years actualy), it seems they've been doing that more and more. Hopefully they do that this year too. But the lines are not the only weakness, so if we don't go there, I just hope we get some talented players.

So if we make the playoffs and lose in the wildcard round, it will be a success because we matched Brad Childress. :doh:

I'm not looking to "match Brad Childress". I'm looking to see progress that we're building a winning organization again. I want to be a perennial playoff team - not just an in and out. Gibbs got us in and out.

Hopefully our offense will improve steadily as well as our pass rush.

Every team has flaws. Every team progresses and regresses. Look at the patriots. They went 16-0 then 11-5, thats a 5 game regression.

To be fair, the Patriots were bound to regress from perfection anyway, and don't you think losing a QB who has taken them to four SB appearances had something to do with it? Even then, the Patriots were able to compile a better record than the Redskins have been able to since 1991!

And that's what's maddening about this team.......yes, we have turned it around a few times, improving by four games between 1998 and 1999, between 2004 and 2005, and between 2006 and 2007. But we just can't seem to put it all together for a monster year, and then when we do have a winning season, we haven't been able to sustain it the following year.

I still think the pivotal game of the year was the home Dallas one. After losing to Pitt we should've been on fire, and instead laid an egg. Heck, in retrospect, even the home Giants game. I wasn't surprised that we lost to them at the time, but once Plax was out almost every other team they played shut them down and was able to beat them. Of course, not us.......we got our butts kicked.

They got the league leader in sacks in 2007, we got the active leader in sacks. I say its a toss up. If you call that addressing the line, then why isn't us getting Taylor the same?

I was against Taylor and I think that the team needs to learn to improve through the draft. Last year (last two years actualy), it seems they've been doing that more and more. Hopefully they do that this year too. But the lines are not the only weakness, so if we don't go there, I just hope we get some talented players.

You don't understand what the difference is between Jared Allen and Jason Taylor?

You don't understand what the difference is between Jared Allen and Jason Taylor?

There are many differences between the two. But you can't say that adding Taylor wasn't addressing the line. We also addressed the line by picking up James which many around here saw as a good pickup at the time.

I'm not calling either player Jared Allen, but if Allen is called 'addressing the line' then why isn't Taylor and James?

There are many differences between the two. But you can't say that adding Taylor wasn't addressing the line. We also addressed the line by picking up James which many around here saw as a good pickup at the time.

I'm not calling either player Jared Allen, but if Allen is called 'addressing the line' then why isn't Taylor and James?

I think you should change your name.

I'll take that as a compliment.

It was actually a suggestion. I mean, between your threads about how our OL does not need help, or posts about how our DL and OL don't need depth, or playing the victim role after being blasted for asking a question that has been discussed and answered numerous times, and now thinking that Jared Allen and Jason Taylor are comparable... It's just not fitting.

It was actually a suggestion. I mean, between your threads about how our OL does not need help, or posts about how our DL and OL don't need depth, or playing the victim role after being blasted for asking a question that has been discussed and answered numerous times, and now thinking that Jared Allen and Jason Taylor are comparable... It's just not fitting.

Its ok if you don't agree with my thoughts. Thats what discussions are for.

Archived