Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My argument for why the Redskins should draft Percy Harvin at #13 (1600 words, LONG)

Joncevensen

I am pretty sure that we will draft an offensive lineman. Yesterday, I thought about this for a little while. I am pretty sure that we will pick at #13. The thing is that I heard on Redskins Nation that the team has four total picks. I think you will see one of the big names go in exchange for draft picks. The rumor I heard was that it was going to be Carlos Rogers. A little bit has been said about Ladell Betts.

Percy Harvin will be the first running back/wide reciever to go in the draft. That would be the most awesomest thing. He is from Virginia Beach. I remember very well when he played high school football for a new school in the Beach area called Landstown. He was the top high school player in the country coming out of high school. I need to quit dreaming because I seriously doubt that Harvin will play for the BNG.

Good argument, but I do not agree with your assertion that Thomas should be retained over that of Kendall. Kendall is a machine dude and definitely could and should be kept for another season or two. Jansen should not be considered as a RT in either backup or starting role. He needs to move inside permanently or move on - the cap hit IMO is negligible.

Pass protection is what needs to improve dramatically. We need to find an OT that can play both sides of the line and a C/OG. That IMO is urgent.

And this thread is exactly what is wrong with the Skins year in and year out. Here we are a team that can't block, or at least push a defense off the ball, and yet you would like to draft what is going to be a WR to play RB, brilliant, Danny and Vinny logic right there. We don't have play makers for 2 reasons and 1 of those reasons is not that they don't exist on our team, the reason is 2 fold, Campbells inability to hit our play makers down field, and our O-line that will not give JC 10 seconds every time he drops back so he can finally find an open receiver. Adding another play maker who JC can't find down field will do absolutely nothing for us except give us a chance to talk next year this time about what a bust Harvin turned out to be [see Thomas, Kelly, and Davis].

Heyer? Nothing more than a backup on a good team.

Jansen? DONE!

Rabach? Gets pushed all over the place, can't even hold his ground.

Here is what we need.

With the 13 pick we go with T Virginia, Eugene Monroe.

Then it becomes a little more tricky and controversial.

I would put at minimum up for trade, Portis, Moss, and I would trade Campbell in a heartbeat if some one offered anything significant but I doubt that would ever happen.

The right team may pony up and pay a nice price for Portis the target is Arizona and their 21st pick, which would move us back into the first rd. Moss could bring an early to mid 2nd. I would take those trades and rebuild this team.

With hopefully a #1 for Portis I then draft G Oklahoma, Duke Robinson with the 21st pick.

I then take C Cal, Alex Mack with what I hope is a #2 for Moss.

I would go in a different direction with our #13 if the right deal was offered for us to move down, so long as we get Duke around 20. If that happens then we deal the Portis pick down some maybe 2 #2's and take Mack, and Herman Johnson G LSU.

We should then be sitting on one more #2 from trading down with our 13th pick, we then target a RT tackle, there should be some pretty good ones still available to choose from.

That line should maul opposing defenses.

We would still have our 3rd to target a back to replace Portis, Shoon Greene from Iowa, [we may have to move into the 2nd rd to get him] we wont need a superstar at RB if our O-line is beating D-lines up, and that is the purpose of this draft, to build a physically dominate O-line, REAL HOGS!

It's not a flashy draft, but I believe it will bring a lot more excitement to our offense in the years to come, and make many players we have already invested in live up to their potential.

I was biased when I opened this thread and scanned it. I found something that stuck out that says, "here is a guy that can't even recognize a huge issue"

"...we use that 3rd round pick on a DE."

Why draft another DE when DE is not the problem and DT is the main issue. Everyone says "We don't have a pass rush!" Thats because we have no interior pressure. Our DT's are subpar. Without a DT, it doesn't matter who is on the outside.

So by extension, I am writing off the rest of your argument!:silly:

Honestly, I don't see Portis splitting carries. If we got this guy, Betts would have to go. Comparing Betts to Jacobs really isn't that plausible either. Betts is nowhere near the powerback Jacobs is. He's got decent size and a good burst. Like Portis, Betts needs lots of carries to get going, which is why when we have either we won't have tandem backs in Washington. It is what it is. To improve the running game, improve the blocking at the line, and make sure you keep Sellers.

First of all my hat is off to you for the work you put into this thread. If more posters would follow this as an example we'd have much less "crazy or stupid" threads.

That being said, I can't support a Percy Harvin pick at #13. If it does happen I'll cheer for the kid but it's just not the direction I agree with going in.

You're absolutely correct about his abilities as both a RB/WR I just don't see those as our biggest needs. At the same time I bet Tennessee fans didn't think RB was their biggest need last offseason either.

I didn't read the entire post, it's just too long, but it sounds like you're guilty of Snyderitis. The flashiest guy is not the best one to take. I like Harvin, but we have too many other needs right now to spend a first round pick on him. If we manage to get a second first rounder, I can see doing something like that, but still, don't be blinded by Snyderitis.

Hail,

H

I think your logic about the Skins needing a legitimate home run threat/3rd down RB is very sound. The thing is (and some previous posters have alluded to this) that while Harvin is an outstanding player, the linemen in this draft have more value to the Skins and are better players at their positions than Harvin is at RB.

I don't think Harvin is the type of singular, once-in-a-generation player with whom you could justify turning down solid linemen like Jason Smith (or even guys like Duke Robinson or Eben Britton) for. Plus, I believe that we can get a legitimate scat back on the second day of this draft with a guy like Marcus Thigpen from Indiana (

). We should draft an OL or DL with 13. We need linemen, and this draft is rich with first round linemen talents.

That said, the Titans run game looked piss poor before Chris Johnson. I wouldn't be super angry with Harvin, just a bit perplexed.

its not a horrible idea at all. it would work great if we just had a solid o-line to run behind. harvin isn't a very big guy so he won't be able to take a pounding like cp and betts do. harvin would need big lanes to get through, which our current o-line isn't very consistent at doing right now.

Your logic is sound but I think there are greater needs on both lines.

In last year's draft when the 20th pick was named and both Rashard Mendenhall and Phillip Merling where available, I would have been happy taking either player, Merling suited our need at DE and Mendenhall was the BPA IMO. I think we could have gotten away taking a RB last year, but with only 4 picks this year and our secondary getting cranky they don't have a good pass rush, I think DE/DT is a MUST in this draft, maybe not at #13 but at least with our 3rd round pick.

Guys like Harvin or Macklin are solid picks at 13 ... these types are game-changing playmakers offering great value beacuse they can also return kicks. As a bonus, they give the offense a "star" identity ... something the Skins sorely lack (Moss and Portis do not qualify). You can always draft an OL or DL in later rounds or use FA to fill needs. At 13, you must draft BPA ... preferably an offensive skill player with star power. The Skins are not only mediocre ... they are boring with a capital "B." Harvin or Macklin will do for the Skins what Jackson did for the Eaglets ... make the Skins an instant competitor, help the team score more points, and provide offensive fireworks instantly. Now all they have to do is fix the QB spot.

But Percy Harvin will not be a RB in the NFL. Only Sean Payton is clever enough to utilize a reggie bush type back. Secondly, Harvin doesn't kick return for Florida. Why do you think he would be successful here?

Oh gosh, that Sean Payton line was a joke right? It's not like Bush has been spectacular and Payton's play calling is puzzling a lot of times. He forces the ball to Bush too much. He should just call him a receiver and be done with it. He'll call the dumbest plays and lose games from them and sportscasters don't call him out on it. Oh, yeah, NO offense is ranked 1st, but that isn't hard to do when you a) have a top 5 qb, B) have one of the better o-lines, c) throw 40 times a game and d) have an awful defense.

As to Harvin being our pick, I think the kid is a good player, but he gets banged up too much. I'd rather draft Pat White in the 3rd or 4th round. They are both about the same size and Harvin may be a little faster, but White won't cost a first round pick.

Not a bad idea really. Not sure I'm totally convinced but if we can somehow improve the OL in the process, Harvin would definitely make us a top 3 rushing team and in the process open up the passing game for JC and the receivers.
Except Harvin doesn't run the ball.

His "rushing" stats in college are from the system he played in. He's a receiver, not a running back.

Guys like Harvin or Macklin are solid picks at 13 ... these types are game-changing playmakers offering great value beacuse they can also return kicks. As a bonus, they give the offense a "star" identity ... something the Skins sorely lack (Moss and Portis do not qualify). You can always draft an OL or DL in later rounds or use FA to fill needs. At 13, you must draft BPA ... preferably an offensive skill player with star power. The Skins are not only mediocre ... they are boring with a capital "B." Harvin or Macklin will do for the Skins what Jackson did for the Eaglets ... make the Skins an instant competitor, help the team score more points, and provide offensive fireworks instantly. Now all they have to do is fix the QB spot.
Harvin would be a pretty crappy pick for us at 13.

I have no idea where you're going with this "star power" idea, but you don't build teams through having star power, you build them through getting quality guys where you need them, in our case, both the o-line and DT spot ahead of a 5'11'' receiver who doesn't run any real routes in his college career.

I have no idea where you're going with this "star power" idea, but you don't build teams through having star power, you build them through getting quality guys where you need them, in our case, both the o-line and DT spot ahead of a 5'11'' receiver who doesn't run any real routes in his college career.

I don't believe Harvin projects well to any offensive position, really. I'll use the tired comparison to Devin Hester, who doesn't really ever look comfortable anywhere but on returns.

Frankly, I'm not immediately aware of any great NFL players that came from Urban Meyer's offenses either. Did any of his players at Notre Dame become top-shelf players?

Your idea set off a light bulb in my head because Harvin could be the gamechanger our offense needs. But not at #13. If we trade back to around #20 and acquire more picks to address OL and DL, then I'm all for it. I think he would get drafted until there because he's the 3rd best WR and not a real RB so most teams will be scared.

I think you are right about how we can utilize him. He is built more like a lean RB than a WR so I think he can take hits for about 5 carries a game. But he can be someone who helps us win the field position battle that we've lost for so long and open up things on offense. He doesn't have to be an excellent route runner, but be a presence the defense has to consider and make them play more honest.

Give him tosses, draws, rb and wr screen passes, swing passes, drag routs and returns. He can provide big gains on outlet passes and help Santana and the other young WRs from seeing double teams. He can also make a defense hesitant to blitz or draw down a safety to cover him, therefore opening up deeper routes. Using him sparingly would also keep him fresh. I like the idea, but at the right draft position. Also, Rock would probably be cut in that situation.

1) Harvin is a China Doll. He has trouble staying on the field. He's always hurt.

2) Scouts project him as a WR. But he hasn't really even played that position. He's built like a WR, but he doesn't play like one. Has never been asked to run precise patterns.

3) Yes, he's fast. Yes, he's a big play threat. Can he block for himself? We need a tackle in the worst way.

4) IMO in the NFL, Harvin = Eric Metcalf. He's punt returner/3rd down back and a guy you want to get the ball to in space a half dozen times a game. Because of that, I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on him. Let somebody else make that mistake.

Archived