Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My argument for why the Redskins should draft Percy Harvin at #13 (1600 words, LONG)

Joncevensen

It was a very well conceived original post joncevensen. I'm from the draft an elite OL camp, as I have been for 3+ years. The sad aspect of this, is that if our idiot GM had simply not traded away our #2 this year on a whim, or if he had simply drafted a quality OL/DL with one of our top picks last year, we could actually take a different approach with our #13 this year. We could take an elite OLB at #13, could take a flier if a great playmaker proved himself worthy etc... as we still could have used our 2nd and 3rd round on an OG/OC tandem. But, Vinny has spent so many picks on luxuries, and flushed so many more away on nothing, that we don't have any luxuries left. We MUST start the OL rebuild, and we must start it now (even if it is 3 years late).

Great post though.

I admit I didn't read the whole thing, but I don't think you're crazy. It would be nice to have a young player like Harvin.

Unfortunately, this year we NEED an OL at #13 just too bad to think about it. That's my thoughts on the situation anyway.

I agree. We just need OL too bad to ignore with the 13th pick no matter how bad I'd like to be able to take some sort of flashy impact player.

In a word no. He is too small. He is not an every down back. He is reggie bush light. There is no reason to get a skill position player right now. We can't win the battle in the trenches. Why would we want to put another pick in a skill position? It doesn't make sense.

That being said, we will probably be like Vinny and draft "The best player available." and get him anyway. I think that it would be a mistake not to get a lineman. Look at what we got for our first round draft pick this year. We could have had Sam Baker, from USC and started for the Falcons most games and protected and ran block very well. Instead we got three players who couldn't make the field for most games.

a detailed, well-reasoned argument, but as i said before, this draft should be OL/DL only...

it's hard to remember because ESPN and other sports media hype them up to the point of absurdity, but Harvin is not a once in a lifetime opportunity...There are multiple players like him in EVERY draft, each year

I love the post, it was well thought out and interesting. I just have issue with one part.

Reinhart couldn't crack the lineup when the vast majority of Offensive linemen were injured. Vinny went out and brought players in from the street because the coaching staff would NOT insert Chad into the line up.

I am willing to bet you won't hear his name mentioned once next season either. Chad will be standing on the sideline in street clothes watching unless he gets his act together.

IMO another draft BUST for Vinny

a detailed, well-reasoned argument, but as i said before, this draft should be OL/DL only...

We need an OLB more than we need anything on the DL. Our DT (because have no need at DE) could use a Pass Rusher, but Monty and Golston are serviceable. HB Blades at OLB, however, is not.

Our needs go from OL, OLB, DT, Speed RB.

];6060656']We need an OLB more than we need anything on the DL. Our DT (because have no need at DE) could use a Pass Rusher' date=' but Monty and Golston are serviceable. HB Blades at OLB, however, is not.

Our needs go from OL, OLB, DT, Speed RB.[/quote']

The OLB's that we have right now can do their jobs but for the D-line to be successful, you need a push up the middle, which none of the DT's on the roster can do.

OLB really is a FA issue and not a draft one anyhow. Dream scenario would have us get Suggs in FA to play OLB.

The OLB's that we have right now can do their jobs but for the D-line to be successful, you need a push up the middle, which none of the DT's on the roster can do.

OLB really is a FA issue and not a draft one anyhow. Dream scenario would have us get Suggs in FA to play OLB.

Are OLBs are not serviceable at all. McIntosh is solid, but HB Blades is one of the most ill equipped OLBs I've ever seen. He's terribly unathletic, and his lack of speed is embarassing.

Our DTs, who aren't great by any means, are at least serviceable. We could USE an upgrade, but far and away, our hole at Strong Side Line Backer is our biggest Defensive weakness.

And you can say FAs can address any Need. To say otherwise is incredibally foolish. You can sign an accurate QB who'll get the job done and won't make mistakes and win a Super Bowl. But you'd take a Franchise QB every day of the week, wouldn't you?

If all of the decent OL prospects had passed at #13, and there was no hope of trading down, and I had to choose between Aaron Curry or BJ Raji, I'd take Curry every time.

My dream scenario:

CUT: Springs, Washington, Taylor (or severe paycut), Griffin, Daniels(?).

25+ savings

SIGN: Haynesworth, Gross, Hall (resign), Houshmanzadeh

TRADE: ARE for mid to late pick, Betts (?)

DRAFT TIME (my dream scenario): Orakpo falls to 13, we take him. Then we do what the Panthers did and trade back into the 1st round (around Detroits pick) using next years 1st, and grab Clint Sintim.

Haynesworth: gives us that dominant DT that can free the ends.

Gross: Is 29, so he isnt THAT old and can probably give a good 3-4 years at tackle and think he would be able to play RT.

Hall: Gives us a great tandum at CB

TJ: All depends if ARE gets traded. My plan if ARE isnt traded we use that money on suggs or Dansby and with that 2nd 1st rounder we take Duke Robinson. TJ gives us a legit number 2 for moss and the Thomas and Kelly can learn from him. He is a true pro.

Orakpo: Now dont think he just a speed guy. He is "undersized" but he is 6'4 265 is fast but also deceptively powerful. I saw that he benches 515 and squats 600 plus. :yikes: ....thats ridiculous (it was on sportscenter and youtube now)

Sintim: Package of speed, power and instincts that would be a perfect fit for us at OLB.

**If ARE doesnt get traded and we sign Dansby/Suggs/Crowder instead than Robinson could be our G for the next decade and help anchor the line.

];6061201']Are OLBs are not serviceable at all. McIntosh is solid' date=' but HB Blades is one of the most ill equipped OLBs I've ever seen. He's terribly unathletic, and his lack of speed is embarassing.

Our DTs, who aren't great by any means, are at least serviceable. We could USE an upgrade, but far and away, our hole at Strong Side Line Backer is our biggest Defensive weakness.

And you can say FAs can address any Need. To say otherwise is incredibally foolish. You can sign an accurate QB who'll get the job done and won't make mistakes and win a Super Bowl. But you'd take a Franchise QB every day of the week, wouldn't you?

If all of the decent OL prospects had passed at #13, and there was no hope of trading down, and I had to choose between Aaron Curry or BJ Raji, I'd take Curry every time.[/quote'] Completely disagree.

In a 4-3, to have a great defense, the d-line guys are much more important than an OLB. Curry is a very solid linebacker, but he's not a monster at anything, he's just really well-rounded.

Meanwhile, teams like the Giants, Eagles, and Titans are laying out the blue print for building great 4-3 defenses that focus on the d-line, and all three teams have stud DTs they drafted early in the draft compared to their linebackers.

Oldskool is right. You can find a solid OLB in FA to plug in, but you don't get a beast d-line without drafting a DT and DE within the first couple rounds.

To say that Golston and Griffin are serviceable is a stretch at this point, and that's still not enough anyway. Especially when our DEs aren't amazing themselves.

Curry's a safe pick, sure, but taking him over a B.J. Raji means neglecting the Redskins' lack of pass rush yet another year, only to sit and complain about it again before the 2010 draft.

Guys like Harvin or Macklin are solid picks at 13 ... these types are game-changing playmakers offering great value beacuse they can also return kicks. As a bonus, they give the offense a "star" identity ... something the Skins sorely lack (Moss and Portis do not qualify). You can always draft an OL or DL in later rounds or use FA to fill needs. At 13, you must draft BPA ... preferably an offensive skill player with star power. The Skins are not only mediocre ... they are boring with a capital "B." Harvin or Macklin will do for the Skins what Jackson did for the Eaglets ... make the Skins an instant competitor, help the team score more points, and provide offensive fireworks instantly. Now all they have to do is fix the QB spot.

I have to agree. The offense, other than Moss, lacks home run threats. Harvin and Macklin have what can't be taught. SPEED!! The Skins don't score points.

My dream scenario:

CUT: Springs, Washington, Taylor (or severe paycut), Griffin, Daniels(?).

25+ savings

SIGN: Haynesworth, Gross, Hall (resign), Houshmanzadeh

TRADE: ARE for mid to late pick, Betts (?)

DRAFT TIME (my dream scenario): Orakpo falls to 13, we take him. Then we do what the Panthers did and trade back into the 1st round (around Detroits pick) using next years 1st, and grab Clint Sintim.

Haynesworth: gives us that dominant DT that can free the ends.

Gross: Is 29, so he isnt THAT old and can probably give a good 3-4 years at tackle and think he would be able to play RT.

Hall: Gives us a great tandum at CB

TJ: All depends if ARE gets traded. My plan if ARE isnt traded we use that money on suggs or Dansby and with that 2nd 1st rounder we take Duke Robinson. TJ gives us a legit number 2 for moss and the Thomas and Kelly can learn from him. He is a true pro.

Orakpo: Now dont think he just a speed guy. He is "undersized" but he is 6'4 265 is fast but also deceptively powerful. I saw that he benches 515 and squats 600 plus. :yikes: ....thats ridiculous (it was on sportscenter and youtube now)

Sintim: Package of speed, power and instincts that would be a perfect fit for us at OLB.

**If ARE doesnt get traded and we sign Dansby/Suggs/Crowder instead than Robinson could be our G for the next decade and help anchor the line.

You are right. This is a dream.

In a word no. He is too small. He is not an every down back. He is reggie bush light. There is no reason to get a skill position player right now. We can't win the battle in the trenches. Why would we want to put another pick in a skill position? It doesn't make sense.

That being said, we will probably be like Vinny and draft "The best player available." and get him anyway. I think that it would be a mistake not to get a lineman. Look at what we got for our first round draft pick this year. We could have had Sam Baker, from USC and started for the Falcons most games and protected and ran block very well. Instead we got three players who couldn't make the field for most games.

Too small? Sproles ring a bell? There were a lot of rookies that didn't make it on the field last season. How many picks did the Chiefs have? I know of 2 first rounders on that team, that didn't have an impact. Both were top 15.

He is too small and fragile to play RB. He is a Desean Jackson type receiver. Look at how many times he was injured in college. Every year he has been nicked up. Trust me, it would be a horrible pick. Who are we the Lions, taking WR's every year? If he were available to us in the 3rd round, I would be interested, but not 1st or 2nd.

Archived