Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local schools to be canceled for Inauguration?

“Misdirection”

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok, so next week is the inauguration of President Elect Barrack Obama. There are A LOT of people expected to be there. Local schools are allowing students who are absent to bring in a note saying that they went to the inauguration. That's great.

Some counties have already called school off for the day because of the many students who will be absent, and the immense amount of traffic expected.

Mine is having a meeting tonight to determine whether or not to cancel school that day.

The only reason we are really suspecting so many people is because of the historic implications. My question is should this day be a national holiday not only for this year, but for years to come? I mean, isn't the day important regardless of who gets elected?

What says ES?

I'd say inauguration day is more of a reason to miss school than bogus holidays like New Year's. It at least has some meaning. That's all I'm basing it off of though, because really, neither are all that important (I don't think 99% of kids would get anything out of watching the inauguration live).

Is that still an observed holiday?

We don't get Columbus Day off...and it's not a conference day, either. I think Inauguration Day should be a holiday every time it comes....no matter where they live. It only comes once every four years and it is a historical event.

I attended Bill Clinton's inauguration in 1997. I worked the event as a Girl Scout. I had to miss school. It should have been a holiday.

A lot of things are closing in this area. All Federal Government Offices in DC and surrounding Counties are closed. I get the day off. The reason for this is they want to keep the roads clear and traffic as low as possible due to the amount of people going to DC. The govt does this for all inaugerations not just this one.

Here in Calvert County, the kids get a four and a half day vacation. They get a half day on Friday, off for the weekend, Monday is MLK day, and the Inauguration is Tuesday.

They just went back to school after a ten day Christmas break, and now this.

~Bang

Here in Calvert County, the kids get a four and a half day vacation. They get a half day on Friday, off for the weekend, Monday is MLK day, and the Inauguration is Tuesday.

They just went back to school after a ten day Christmas break, and now this.

~Bang

We have exams inauguration week. So my schedule next two week looks like this:

M19 Off

T20 Off

W half day (exams)

T half day (exams)

F half day (exams)

M Off

T half day (exams)

W-F regular

Four day weekend three half days a three day weekend a half day and then school. Not bad. :cool:

Fairfax Co. schools already have Inauguration Day off. My students are just now getting back into the routine of school after Winter Break. The kids will be so out of sorts after a 4-day weekend this weekend and next weekend because of Teacher Workdays on Jan 26 &27. However, I still want some snow days in February.:2cents:

I'd say inauguration day is more of a reason to miss school than bogus holidays like New Year's. It at least has some meaning. That's all I'm basing it off of though, because really, neither are all that important (I don't think 99% of kids would get anything out of watching the inauguration live).

New Year's isn't a bogus holiday. Bowl games!

Archived