Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Longer One Piece of The Puzzle Away: Comparing Us to Them

LoudMouth12thMan

Hey All,

I was reading a couple of posts from the past couple of days and in combination with those posts and while watching the playoffs, I started to get pissed off, sad, and frustrated all at the same time. This weekend, instead of arguing with a bunch of ESers about this and that, I found myself agreeing with nearly every post in one form or another, well not every post ;). In the past, when the Skins didn't make the playoffs we all had a different take on "the state of the union", so to speak. Maybe this time is different.

This time, we all seem to want to talk about Campbell vs. Colt [the best qb in the league] :silly:. Some wonder whether Portis is expendable or not. We all have a consensus view regarding the aging O and D lines, the FO, and most recognize the biggest void in our arsenal, the lack of explosive young talent. Although we talk about this kinda' stuff every off-season (even during the season), it seems like we're all correct in one form or another about what we need this year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

It's almost too glaringly obvious, isn't it? Scary even.

The Redskins are beyond the need for just a "rebuilding year". That is an understatement, at best, when describing the current predicament that this franchise is in. Do you all remember when we were starting threads that read, "One Piece of The Puzzle Away..?" That thread hasn't been posted yet this off-season, and for good reason. If it has, I've missed it and I'm glad that I did.

Watch the rest of the teams who have either gone "one and done" with mostly young talent on their rosters coupled with savvy vets; or watch a team win a game here or there and get eliminated; or watch who wins it all this post-season with that aforementioned makeup [youth/talent coupled with savvy veterans] and remember how much the Redskins pale in comparison to said team(s).

We used to be the 2008 Fins or the 2008 Falcons back in 2005 except we were old and beat up then. What are we now? We're certainly not younger, more durable, and more talented than we were then. At least we saved ourselves from that embarrassing probability of a "one and done" or "none and done" performance again had we eked into the Wild Card game this year [as someone mentioned in a recent thread]. Sure it's a pessimist's viewpoint, but is it? Maybe it's just reality.

We have already started to voice our opinions with regard to how we compare to "X" team or how one of our players compares to "X" player on "X" team. Rightfully so, I might add. We've started the FA and Draft Prospect talk. We do it every year, but this year our senses are heightened. Maybe you and I are wiser fans this time around. I know that I've learned a lot about myself as a fan of the Redskins, and I've learned much about the team that I cheer for too. I know that this "ain't" my Dad's or Grandpa's Redskins. Normally, we'd be excited about that, but just like Oldsmobile was phased out a few years ago, this team seems a bit phased out as well.

On a side note: I went to my first LIVE Capitals game this past weekend. In comparing my five years as a season ticket holder at Fed Ex and my experience at the Caps game, I'd have to say that it convinced me even more that we are FAR from being "one piece of the puzzle away..." It wasn't the game itself, the arena, the location, the fans, the scheme, or the atmosphere. For me, it was the youth, the talent, the explosiveness, and the knowing that the product on the field (ice if you please) was top notched.

Keep demanding more Redskins fans, and keep talking about things like a need for change in the FO and on the roster. It's the only way that change will come about. Whether you agree that our President Elect is the right man for the job isn't necessarily the point. The point is, at least he recognizes the need for change. I wonder if that concept will rub off on the sports franchise up the road...or I mean, across the river over in Landover, Maryland. :paranoid:

I thought I'd share how I'm feeling about this franchise. Tell me if I'm wrong about this team. It wouldn't be the first time that you told me so, but it might be the first time that I was wrong j/k ;)

HAIL AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

:dallasuck

On a side note: I went to my first LIVE Capitals game this past weekend. In comparing my five years as a season ticket holder at Fed Ex and my experience at the Caps game, I'd have to say that it convinced me even more that we are FAR from being "one piece of the puzzle away..." It wasn't the game itself, the arena, the location, the fans, the scheme, or the atmosphere. For me, it was the youth, the talent, the explosiveness, and the knowing that the product on the field (ice if you please) was top notched.

I've followed the caps for many years, although just got to go to my first game...The caps have had a half empty stadium(from what i've heard) for many years. The only reason it's like that is because of all the bandwagon fans that have jumped on after last years success.

The caps have definitely turned that organization around. The 2004 draft turned out to be the best day o the decade for the caps(drafting AO). But in all fairness, they essentially landed the lebron James/Peyton Manning of the NHL...Players of that caliber don't come out very often...

And on a side note...somebody needs to teach semin how to fight....clark may have gotten dropped, but at least he didn't start a slap fest.

But on the skins, personally I believe that in order to be a great team you have to suck for a while. And the problem with that is we haven't sucked for the most part...just been mediocre. Getting a top 10 pick can help an organization tremendously.

The caps have definitely turned that organization around. The 2004 draft turned out to be the best day o the decade for the caps(drafting AO). But in all fairness, they essentially landed the lebron James/Peyton Manning of the NHL...Players of that caliber don't come out very often...

And on a side note...somebody needs to teach semin how to fight....clark may have gotten dropped, but at least he didn't start a slap fest.

But on the skins, personally I believe that in order to be a great team you have to suck for a while. And the problem with that is we haven't sucked for the most part...just been mediocre. Getting a top 10 pick can help an organization tremendously.

:applause: on the Semin comment ;) Guess he didn't think he'd be fighting since his fight strap wasn't latched.

As far as the Peyton, Lebron thing, I understand what you mean, but I'm looking at the overall picture. Ovechkin aside, I see tons of talent on that roster and most of those guys are young and talented when compared to their opponents. The Skins don't have that when you compare their roster to other rosters. I know that #8 makes everyone else good, but I'm not asking the Skins to get the next Peyton Manning or Taylor Jacobs :silly:. I'd like to see an infusion of young, explosive talent. Who wouldn't, right?

We have had top ten picks. One could have been that "once in ten years" kinda' player. Even still, he was a safety. Maybe he would have been like an Ed Reed or Polomalu but we'll never know. I agree with you about the mediocre thing, but don't you think that we've been mediocre long enough? I certainly do.

I am sorry but I also have to bring it up...if Sean Taylor was alive we would be in the playoffs and talking about how we were one piece away from the puzzle.

Right now we are like 3 pieces because we will need 2 players to make up his talents

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. Just think, the deep pass at the end of the Rams game never gets completed. The deep ball at the end of the 49ers game never gets completed.

That's 2 more W's right there, and there are probably more.

:(

You know what the saddest part is? It's that no one has any faith in Vinny to actually fix these glaring weaknesses. We know that we have an RB with high-mileage. We know that we need to patch up a shaky offensive line. We know that we have no gamebreakers on defense. We know that our special teams leaves a lot to be desired.

But no one on this board has any faith in Vinny to correct these problems. And they shouldn't. He hasn't proved anything to Skins fans, and as long as we have a FO continually shunning what makes a winning team (O- and D-lines), we're going to wade in mediocrity.

op, your right about everything but to say top ten draft picks helm tremendously, ask the raiders that. lol

The raiders haven't been bad for that long, and most of their early draft picks are still young(even though I think russel was a stupid choice)..I think people forget they were in the superbowl only 5 years ago. Al Davis is running that team into the ground though. He'll be battling snyder for the worst owner in the league for a while.

But no one on this board has any faith in Vinny to correct these problems. And they shouldn't. He hasn't proved anything to Skins fans, and as long as we have a FO continually shunning what makes a winning team (O- and D-lines), we're going to wade in mediocrity.

If reports are indeed correct, then Vinny has until after the '09 season to prove to Danny that he can build a contender. If this isn't the case, then we could finally see the FO get put into capable hands. If this isn't the case ... sigh ... :(

The Redskins are beyond the need for just a "rebuilding year". That is an understatement, at best, when describing the current predicament that this franchise is in. Do you all remember when we were starting threads that read, "One Piece of The Puzzle Away..?"

Ah, the days of optimism when we were one 6'5" receiver away from the Super Bowl. Truth is, we need major upgrades pretty much everywhere. This is not a one year fix. It's not like we're doomed or anything (we can still scrap our way into the playoffs next year) but greatness is years away.

If reports are indeed correct, then Vinny has until after the '09 season to prove to Danny that he can build a contender. If this isn't the case, then we could finally see the FO get put into capable hands. If this isn't the case ... sigh ... :(

Speaking of optimism, I admire yours-- thinking that Danny would a) fire Vinny, or B) if he did, would replace him with someone competent

I've followed the caps for many years, although just got to go to my first game...The caps have had a half empty stadium(from what i've heard) for many years. The only reason it's like that is because of all the bandwagon fans that have jumped on after last years success.

really what it comes down to is getting a gamechanger at the QB position, or getting a coach and GM who know how to put the pieces in place for that QB to succeed.

really what it comes down to is getting a gamechanger at the QB position, or getting a coach and GM who know how to put the pieces in place for that QB to succeed.

I think QB is the position that can have the biggest impact, but any stud player(see peterson, Jake Long(OL), fitzgerald, many others) can have a huge impact on teams.

Ah, the days of optimism when we were one 6'5" receiver away from the Super Bowl. Truth is, we need major upgrades pretty much everywhere. This is not a one year fix. It's not like we're doomed or anything (we can still scrap our way into the playoffs next year) but greatness is years away.

Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't mind going 4-12 the next 2 years to get some picks and draft some game changers, since this would mean vinny would probably be gone as well.

Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't mind going 4-12 the next 2 years to get some picks and draft some game changers, since this would mean vinny would probably be gone as well.

Why should the fans for ONE SEASOn have to deal with a 4-12 team. I disagree wholeheartedly. I would give up my season tickets in an instance if we went 4-12 two seasons with this front office and this owner, at these ridiculous prices. We as fans deserve at worst an average team. It has been 17 years since a superbowl win, 17 YEARS and really, we are probably another 17 away. Danny, and Vinny owe us MORE!

Mediocrity in a parity-centric league (NFL) is like kissing your sister's tush. I'd rather be young and energetic than good given the current "blah" status of the Skins. Please Mr. Snyder ... clean house ... get rid of all the crap you'v accumulated thinking Gibbs could turn this rabble into a winner. Gibbs is gone ... but you would never know it judging from the dreary 2008 edition.

Hey All,

I was reading a couple of posts from the past couple of days and in combination with those posts and while watching the playoffs, I started to get pissed off, sad, and frustrated all at the same time. This weekend, instead of arguing with a bunch of ESers about this and that, I found myself agreeing with nearly every post in one form or another, well not every post ;). In the past, when the Skins didn't make the playoffs we all had a different take on "the state of the union", so to speak. Maybe this time is different.

This time, we all seem to want to talk about Campbell vs. Colt [the best qb in the league] :silly:. Some wonder whether Portis is expendable or not. We all have a consensus view regarding the aging O and D lines, the FO, and most recognize the biggest void in our arsenal, the lack of explosive young talent. Although we talk about this kinda' stuff every off-season (even during the season), it seems like we're all correct in one form or another about what we need this year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

It's almost too glaringly obvious, isn't it? Scary even.

The Redskins are beyond the need for just a "rebuilding year". That is an understatement, at best, when describing the current predicament that this franchise is in. Do you all remember when we were starting threads that read, "One Piece of The Puzzle Away..?" That thread hasn't been posted yet this off-season, and for good reason. If it has, I've missed it and I'm glad that I did.

Watch the rest of the teams who have either gone "one and done" with mostly young talent on their rosters coupled with savvy vets; or watch a team win a game here or there and get eliminated; or watch who wins it all this post-season with that aforementioned makeup [youth/talent coupled with savvy veterans] and remember how much the Redskins pale in comparison to said team(s).

We used to be the 2008 Fins or the 2008 Falcons back in 2005 except we were old and beat up then. What are we now? We're certainly not younger, more durable, and more talented than we were then. At least we saved ourselves from that embarrassing probability of a "one and done" or "none and done" performance again had we eked into the Wild Card game this year [as someone mentioned in a recent thread]. Sure it's a pessimist's viewpoint, but is it? Maybe it's just reality.

We have already started to voice our opinions with regard to how we compare to "X" team or how one of our players compares to "X" player on "X" team. Rightfully so, I might add. We've started the FA and Draft Prospect talk. We do it every year, but this year our senses are heightened. Maybe you and I are wiser fans this time around. I know that I've learned a lot about myself as a fan of the Redskins, and I've learned much about the team that I cheer for too. I know that this "ain't" my Dad's or Grandpa's Redskins. Normally, we'd be excited about that, but just like Oldsmobile was phased out a few years ago, this team seems a bit phased out as well.

Keep demanding more Redskins fans, and keep talking about things like a need for change in the FO and on the roster. It's the only way that change will come about. Whether you agree that our President Elect is the right man for the job isn't necessarily the point. The point is, at least he recognizes the need for change. I wonder if that concept will rub off on the sports franchise up the road...or I mean, across the river over in Landover, Maryland. :paranoid:

I thought I'd share how I'm feeling about this franchise. Tell me if I'm wrong about this team. It wouldn't be the first time that you told me so, but it might be the first time that I was wrong j/k ;)

HAIL AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

:dallasuck

Couldn't agree more with this post. Its been almost 20 years since we've done anything worthwhile. Every team in the Division has either won or been to the SB since then and its sickening to watch this great franchise be ruined and run aground due to ineptitude. Some of us voice our displeasure in not wanting to accept the status quo only to be labled as untrue, fairweather, or pessimists. I feel that those who accept the status quo without question do more harm than those of us who voice our displeasure.

We watch another playoff year where our division rivals will be playing deep into the playoffs. To me its sickening because this franchise should be better than what it is. How long must we wait and endure this?? Other teams are worse and have been worse for longer periods...I know!! But do we measure our franchise on and fanbase on their level or do we want to raise the standards??

The only way I see anything changing is if there is a change from the top. We can blame players and coaches all day, but it all begins from the top.

Looking over the team in the cold light of the offseason, "one piece of the puzzle away" seems quaint. The number of question marks that come up is scary - across the board, offense and defense, other than perhaps at tight end and defense backfield.

For a team that finishes 8-8, it usually means one of two things. You are an average team on the rise, a piece or two away from really competing. Or you are an average team on the decline, a piece or two away from completely falling apart. Unfortunately, we are the latter.

I've already accepted the fact that we are going to be bad next season. Train wreck bad. The only good thing that will come of it is Vinny will be fired, and maybe Dan will finally hire a real GM and let them do their job.

Regardless, the sooner a major rebuilding project gets started, the better.

Archived