Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Longer One Piece of The Puzzle Away: Comparing Us to Them

LoudMouth12thMan

Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't mind going 4-12 the next 2 years to get some picks and draft some game changers, since this would mean vinny would probably be gone as well.

I wouldn't go THAT far (2 seasons of suckitude is an eternity in today's NFL). BUT, I would be willing to throw away this year's draft by trading our 1st (this year) for some other mediocre team's 1st & another pick in NEXT year's draft, and totally sucking this upcoming year. That would potentially give us not 1, but 2 high first round draft picks, a high 2nd or 2/a high 3rd or 2, and a complete draft in rounds 4-7 beyond that. Think of that, in one draft you get 2 studs, a couple more starters, and some young depth with a surprise maybe in there a la Horton.

nice post ... it does feel good to finally let the "expectations" of a Joe Gibbs coached team finally dissipate (at least in my mind). I think now I will have more realistic expectations of this team in the future.

I wonder though, where do we start? Just seems like we are constantly trying to squeak out a few more plays from these high priced FA's instead of just sucking it up and cutting them loose for young unproven talent.

I look at a team like the Titans and I envy them, not because they sucked the past few years, not just because they had the balls to scrap everything and start over cap wise ... but because they stuck with their man (Fisher) and they have a competent GM ... they are still a team on the rise, if you can believe that.

They are exceeding expectations and Jeff Fisher is a top flight coach and master motivator, but it stars at the top. They have a competent owner who has been loyal to Fisher. Most importantly they have a FO structure that lets the football people do football work, and stays out of their way.

All I want is for someone to be held accountable for their actions, whether Vinny magically puts together a playoff caliber roster, or whether he fails miserably ... there is nothing more frustrating than looking at a team like ours and not being able to pin point where the problem is. In our case it's ... "what is the BIGGER problem to address? Player A, or coach B?" That's hardly a good way to evaluate a roster and coaching staff, yet it seems to me at least these are questions that hover over this franchise like a black cloud.

Thus we are in fact "No Longer One Piece of The Puzzle Away" ... and I'm not talking about personnel, I am talking about scouting talent, coaching and building a REAL FO structure. We have so many missing pieces because we mortgaged them all away on this "win now with FA" and "build for the future at the same time" plan ... funny how our FO thought they were so slick with managing the cap by extending contracts and giving bonus money up front to players past their prime. We may never be in cap hell, but we sure as hell (no pun intended) aren't getting to football heaven any time soon.

I look at a team like the Eagles and the Steelers ... and am amazed at the fact that every year they replace players (stud players too), yet they still get deeper, younger and are able to maintain a level of consistent play through an entire decade. Hail to the off season I guess.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Its been almost 20 years since we've done anything worthwhile. Every team in the Division has either won or been to the SB since then and its sickening to watch this great franchise be ruined and run aground due to ineptitude. Some of us voice our displeasure in not wanting to accept the status quo only to be labled as untrue' date=' fairweather, or pessimists. I feel that those who accept the status quo without question do more harm than those of us who voice our displeasure.

We watch another playoff year where our division rivals will be playing deep into the playoffs. To me its sickening because this franchise should be better than what it is. How long must we wait and endure this?? Other teams are worse and have been worse for longer periods...I know!! But do we measure our franchise on and fanbase on their level or do we want to raise the standards??

The only way I see anything changing is if there is a change from the top. We can blame players and coaches all day, but it all begins from the top.[/quote']

What's important to note is that the Redskins are in this funk because the Front Office has neglected to admit (to itself, mainly) that a major rebuilding effort has been needed since the end of Gibbs I. They haven't done it, though. They've been prescribing to the thought that they're only "one or two pieces away".

The Redskins will remain in the same place that they're in until a total rebuilding effort is undertaken. Coaching staff, players, scouting and executive staff.

What's important to note is that the Redskins are in this funk because the Front Office has neglected to admit (to itself, mainly) that a major rebuilding effort has been needed since the end of Gibbs I. They haven't done it, though. They've been prescribing to the thought that they're only "one or two pieces away".

The Redskins will remain in the same place that they're in until a total rebuilding effort is undertaken. Coaching staff, players, scouting and executive staff.

Agreed!

I look at this past year where we drafted 3 high draft choices (2 WRs, 1TE) which barely got any playing time, because of questionable reasons...like, not running patterns deep enough in practice, coming to camp injured, out of shape are a few that come to mind. When it comes to the route running, my thinking is how will they ever learn if they dont get the chance...they're rookies!! Other teams rookies that played over 50% and contributed or even started are probably a whole season ahead of ours now. Did the scouting department screw up in their evaluations of these players?? Did the FO not stress to the coaching staff to get them more PT?? Did the coaching staff not stress the importance of their presence on the team is important from day one insisting that they be ready to play when training camp starts??.....Just some of the questions that makes me wonder sometimes.

Since the NFL isn't a static league, a team down today can be champions tomorrow. I think the FO goes by this logic and looks for the quick fix rather than build for the long term. When I look at the eagles, a team that didnt make the playoffs last year, whom we swept this year, and see that they have a legitimate chance to at least get to the NFC championship, I :doh: in disbelief and ask are they really that much better than the Skins and if so how :whoknows: They have been better than us for the better half of the past decade, so we should have had better draft choices right??...ohhhhh....I know what happened, the FO gave draft picks away...I guess I answered my own question on that one!!! :doh:

Forgive me, just drowning my sorrows in Henikens right now!!

What's important to note is that the Redskins are in this funk because the Front Office has neglected to admit (to itself, mainly) that a major rebuilding effort has been needed since the end of Gibbs I. They haven't done it, though.
Danny & Company have subscribed to a philosophy of plugging the dam with high profile splashes. The results have been good. He is able to field a competitive team, year in and year out. Thus the thought of being a player away. But it’s a ruse. Always has been. The difference in being competitive and being of championship caliber is about the same of being 2-14 and being championship caliber. Yet to this day, even poster here rail against "blowing the team up". After all we were just 8-8, right, just a player away.

Archived