Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you think of State/Local government employees Salaries?

ljs

Especially in "these tough economic times"....

I was reading a local article about a state home care workers union who is suing our lovely Governor over not getting a raise this year. So I did some checking on the issue. I found a couple interesting articles on it. The State teachers union is also suing...Yet the governor and most all of her cabinet conitnue to get raises (per a citizen approved board:doh:) She makes about $150K a year. Her cabinet makes roughly $256K more than the entire cabinet of our previous governor.(article on that at bottom of post)

here is the one on the Home care union issues (click for ful article, I pasted only part of it) http://www.yakimaherald.com/stories/10411

OLYMPIA — Gov. Christine Gregoire is facing another lawsuit from notable political supporters over her decision to skip agreed-to raises and benefits for government workers.

Gregoire, a Democrat, was sued Monday by a local branch of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) 775, which represents about 25,000 home-health-care workers in Washington state.

The union objects to Gregoire's recently released budget proposal, which didn't include more than $26.8 million in raises, benefits and training money for workers represented by SEIU 775.

The contract called for raises of about 2.5 percent in 2009 and 2 percent in 2010, along with bonuses of 50 cents per hour for workers with special certifications or licenses. The union said home-care workers presently earn less than $11 an hour.

Gregoire's spending cuts also include skipping pay raises for teachers and full-fledged state employees. Washington's largest state worker union, the Washington Federation of State Employees, sued Gregoire last week in Thurston County Superior Court over the unpaid contract.

On Monday, Glickman-Flora said local SEIU officials had no misgivings about their support of Gregoire during the fall campaign.

But the union simply can't stand by while Gregoire violates a binding contract, he said.

"When an elected official violates the law, it's up to the judiciary to step in and say, 'No. You're not above the law,' " Glickman-Flora said.

----------------------

Here is an article from 2005 regarding the governor and salaries at that time, including the issue of other state workers bare bones raises. (click for entire article, only posted part)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002332124_teamgregoire13m.html

OLYMPIA — In many ways, Gov. Christine Gregoire's 23-member Cabinet looks a lot like her predecessor's — same number of minorities, a similar average age, even some of the same appointees.

But there is at least one notable difference: Gregoire's Cabinet is costing taxpayers a lot more than former Gov. Gary Locke's.

All but three of Gregoire's Cabinet appointees are making significantly more than the jobs paid under Locke — including five appointees who are making at least $20,000 more, and an additional six who are making at least $10,000 more.

In all, Gregoire's Cabinet will earn about $256,000 a year more than the previous Cabinet when Locke stepped down.

Historically, state workers are underpaid in comparison to what they would get in the private sector. They choose government jobs because of stability, job security, and good pensions.

Joe Public likes to think that the government is wasteful (especially when it comes to state workers), but the reality is it usually isn't.

Unfortunately it will take the last of the baby boomers in state government to finally retire for people to realize their errors. That's because no one will be left to run the DMV and the wait times will be 3-4 hours instead of 1 hour.

good point, as one guy said in the article, if he took the state job and left his private law firm he would take a big pay cut.

It's too bad that it works that way. I know they have a lot of responsibility, lots to do. I really don't meddle to much in it, just curious of opinions of those that might have more insight. thanks!

I know in Mont. Co. there are some pretty big layoffs coming and some that have already arrived. Additionally, they've been asked to take off a few days of unpaid leave (Fiscal year '08) with more likely being asked after June 09 to help meet budget shortfalls. So, in short, I kind of feel for them.

I know in Mont. Co. there are some pretty big layoffs coming and some that have already arrived. Additionally, they've been asked to take off a few days of unpaid leave (Fiscal year '08) with more likely being asked after June 09 to help meet budget shortfalls. So, in short, I kind of feel for them.
MoCo is probably not typical of most municipalities. The wealth there has led to the creation of many agencies that simply would not exist elsewhere. It has also bloated many others. Now that the economy has turned, they are facing cutbacks because those services are not needed to the same degree.

At the same time, there are 3rd grade teachers making $90,000 in the public school system. That seems a bit high to me.

I can vouch for the relatively sweet salaries for MoCo teachers since I used to work at their credit union. Certainly, teaching is a tough job but I think the MoCo teachers were probably among the few who were fairly compensated.

I also worked in public health for almost two years in order to change careers. It was a great place to get all sorts of public health experience because all the departments were short staffed so I got to help out doing a lot of different things outside my actual job/internship area.

When I was hired full time, I was paid peanuts even though I was very close to completing my Masters. Many of the other folks I worked with who already had their Masters degrees also made very little dough.

Because of the understaffing at the health department some of us often stayed late to complete projects. And since we were salaried, that made our "hourly" pay rate even lower.

To give you an idea of how little money I was making, my new employer pays me almost double what I was making at the health department....and trust me, I'm not at all highly paid where I work now.

Trust me, in many if not most cases the myth of the overpaid, underworked government worker is just that, a myth.

I see where you guys are coming from, but i was more talking about Governors, their cabinet members, state legislatures...not the "real" state employees like the lady who takes your payment for your car tabs, or the people who actually "run" the state/city.

The other point I was trying to make, is how do you feel about a governor who already makes close to $150k a year, asking for a raise in times of our economy being so bad? Or in times of so many facing the potential lay offs? Just stuff like that.

Ah, I think that's an entirely different question. Politicians salaries and workers salaries. I do think there is some weirdness going on. For example, if we think about a Governor being the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation (state) people would think a 150 k salary was non profit low end. However, since our taxes pay for it... and the bums are usually bums (unfortunately, it seems so are many corporate CEOs) 150 K seems quite dear.

Still, I think that the questions they put to the automakers and financials guys make sense for them too. Under your stewardship your company is going bankrupt... why do you deserve a raise?

Bad PR if nothing else. Stupid, in all liklihood.

My job with the County (i.e. local government) pays me a little less than a private sector but the experience is really good though not necessary since I'm going for my pension anyway. In my case the security wasn't a primary issue in job selection but it turned out to be the most important. I highly recommend it if working is what you live for but what you do to live. Not to say I don't love my job, I do, but I like my life after work just a wee bit more. I have friends who are all about the money and they work 10+ hour days, deal with big stress all the time and don't get to spend enough time with their kids. I think I'm richer than they are.

My job with the County (i.e. local government) pays me a little less than a private sector but the experience is really good though not necessary since I'm going for my pension anyway. In my case the security wasn't a primary issue in job selection but it turned out to be the most important. I highly recommend it if working is what you live for but what you do to live. Not to say I don't love my job, I do, but I like my life after work just a wee bit more. I have friends who are all about the money and they work 10+ hour days, deal with big stress all the time and don't get to spend enough time with their kids. I think I'm richer than they are.

I think you ARE the rich one...good job on chosing family, kids and life over $$:cheers:

Archived