Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie Class Coming Right Along; Finally!

CRobi21

I know the season has turned out to be, rather on the crappy side. We showed promise early, then the flame seemed to sizzle away. But I think just the opposite has happened with our rookie class. From what seemed to be a crappy draft with a total of 10 picks, seems to be coming along quite well.

We obviously knew what we had with Chris Horton from the first pre-season game, an animal, a predator if you will. :silly:. But in every fans mind, we didn't like what we saw and heard from what we heard from Redskins park. All 3 rookie pass catchers struggled in training camp. Malcolm and Devin both were hasseled with injury early on, which set them back greatly. And we all know where "Big Sleepy" got his name. :doh:.

"JT" Tryon was getting worked pretty good in pre-season by every teamsbackup receivers, all after talking a big game in training camp. I don't think anyone had any idea who the hell Kareem Moore was. It didn't look good for a while.

But down the stretch here, I myself have seen a little spark in ALL of these guys. I see Malcolm Kelly throwing punishing blocks on Pro-Bowl CBs, and catching a couple balls like the kid that caught toilet paper rolls in "The Little Giants". Devin Thomas taking a reverse with what seemed to be a 20 yard gain, into a 25 yard touchdown, perfecting his routes, learning the game. Fred Davis getting in on the action. Trying to leave behind his training camp image of being lazy. Throwing a HUGE block for Campbell on one of his scrambles. Catching a few balls here and there, getting seperation from the defenders.

And how bout KAREEM MOORE! Just about every game, hell, it is every game, I hear a "That a boy Kareem!" come out of my mouth for a solid special teams tackle. The guy is everywhere on special teams. We've heard coaches praise this kids' name from day one, I guess now we see why.

Even everyone's favorite guy to pick on, JT Tryon, is showing some great progress on special teams. Being a thorn in the sides of all special teams cover guys, getting to all punts that Plack hit inside the 10 all last game.

I don't know about you guys, I'm starting to like what I see in our '08 rookie class. Sure they started off slow, but late than never, my mommy always said. Hope they continue this upward trend in their improvement.

Here's to them doing so!!!

:cheers:

Yup... I've noticed the same thing. It's actually quite shocking, even for the loud negative types that rapidly create new threads around here, to see them complaining about the '08 draft. I thought Vinny did a good job then and now it's being affirmed.

I wrote awhile back that I think we've seen Horton's peak as a player. Even if that's true, we've got a Pro Bowl safety. That man is a beast, and he's ALWAYS around the ball.

As for our pass catchers, I love that we've been incorporating them more and more, and you can just see how athletic Thomas is. He looks like a very fluid, strong receiver. All he needs to do is work out the kinks, and he's a prime target for that traditional third year leap for WRs.

Devin Thomas taking a reverse with what seemed to be a 20 yard gain, into a 25 yard touchdown

:nono:

29 yard touchdown.

http://www.nfl.com/players/devinthomas/profile?id=THO112147

:)

But I totally agree man. I was just saying this in another thread. Our rookies are finally starting to show some solid contribution.

Thomas and Horton are obviously the furthest along. But like you said Malcolm Kelly is out there knocking people down with blocks, Justin Tryon is showing up in Special Teams coverage. Fred Davis is blocking like a champion and getting open on the field.

Things are looking up for our young guys and I love it. I hope to see us draft a bunch of offensive linemen that work out this offseason.

We're planting the seeds for the future of this team and it's hard to sit around and wait for them to grow but as soon as they do, you've got yourself some talent on the roster.

The only real casualty so far in the draft that we know of was Durant Brooks....but damn if Plack isn't earning his keep! He had a hell of a game on Sunday!!!

:nono:

29 yard touchdown.

http://www.nfl.com/players/devinthomas/profile?id=THO112147

:)

But I totally agree man. I was just saying this in another thread. Our rookies are finally starting to show some solid contribution.

Haha. I knew I was somewhere in the ballpark with that guess.

:D

But yep, I saw your comments about this in that other thread, and agreed on all points. Felt I should go into greater detail with all of them!

I'm glad you posted something positive on our rookie pool. I really like these guys and expect to see more from them in 2009. I think the average rookie WR takes like 2-3 years. They don't see the complex defenses in college like they do in pros. Anyway, good post.

Good post, ST.

I agree completely. Everyone from Steve Young to Mike Holmgren says it takes a good two years to learn the WCO. And it usually takes rookie WRs at least a year to get accustomed to the NFL game.

I expect we'll see improvement across the board next year, both from JC and this year's rookie crop of pass catchers. (Assuming, of course, the OL issues are addressed.)

But you're right. It's high time the boys in the FO start to get a little credit. Horton and Moore were great picks and contributed right away. Bugel likes Rinehart, which is a good sign. And I fully expect Thomas, Kelly and Davis to come along next year.

We NEED to keep having success with late-round picks and UDFAs like Heyer. The more steals like that that you can get, the more quickly you can build a contending YOUNG team.

i hope we dont get rid of the rookie wr's..with the horrible contribution from all of our wr's this year id imagine they want to bring in someone who knows what they are doing in the wco..i just hope isntead we go with 6 recievers and try to get thomas returning punts...

I wrote awhile back that I think we've seen Horton's peak as a player. Even if that's true, we've got a Pro Bowl safety. That man is a beast, and he's ALWAYS around the ball.

As for our pass catchers, I love that we've been incorporating them more and more, and you can just see how athletic Thomas is. He looks like a very fluid, strong receiver. All he needs to do is work out the kinks, and he's a prime target for that traditional third year leap for WRs.

No I don't think so he still missed some assignments here and there and he has to get stronger so he can overcome the injuries that have plagued him this year. During the second half of the season teams started to account for him. Give him a full year with offseason workouts and a year of being in this system then you'll see some what this guy is made of.

Very nice post indeed. Its nice to read some positive stuff every once in awhile. I also took noticed on this past years rookie class getting more and more in the mix near the end of the season. The playing their doing now is going to help come the offseason and beginning of training camp. I'm overall happy with this year, at the beginning I had no idea what to expect. Like to see all of them get some good playing time this weekend against the 49ers.

No I don't think so he still missed some assignments here and there and he has to get stronger so he can overcome the injuries that have plagued him this year. During the second half of the season teams started to account for him. Give him a full year with offseason workouts and a year of being in this system then you'll see some what this guy is made of.

I agree. And Horton is a football guy through and through so you know he's going to be working hard in the offseason to get his game better.

I hope you're right. It seemed like his initial success was because he came from a very similar system. I will say though, that he has quite a nose from the ball, and he's always diagnosing plays very well. He's always taking out lead blockers on pitches and screens, and giving a clear path to the ball carrier.

With the emergence of our guys, I also think this may be the last time we see James Thrash in a Skins uni.

I mean, he's not doing much on offense, and his special teams performance has declined.

I think you're right about this one. Thrash was never a big part of our offense his second stint in Washington but he was always consistent. When the ball was thrown his way he caught it, and whether his assignment was downing a punt, tackling a returner, or returning the ball himself he took care of business. Sadly I just haven't seen that this season and now that we finally have some guys with a little size I don't see his spot on the roster.

Big James Thrash fan but I think it's time for him to move on to life after football. Or at least life after the Washington Redskins.

I could see Thrash being our emergency dial guy incase of injuries midseason in 09.

Whether these players turn out to be NFLers or not, the simple truth is that for a team that had a decent amount of holes to fill in the draft given the age/productivity of a number of the veterans, the Redskins should NEVER had used ALL their top picks on one position.

A young DE, DT or LB or OG could have really helped this squad in 2008 and might have made the difference in a game or two to get the Redskins over the hump.

It is a lesson to learn for the future.

The GENERAL rule is to select the best player available.

But when you have a Chris Cooley who is 27 and just signed a long-term contract, TE is a position you really don't have to trade up to get another player at in the next draft in Round 2 :)

Prudence dictates that you hedge your risk by trying to spread out the young talent so that the team develops and moves forward without significant gaps or positions where there is no depth of talent at all.

Archived