Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who would you choose if you had a choice? Ramsey, Carr, Harrington?

brandies

Now? I'd take Ramsey because I'm biased. Draft time? I would have wanted Harrington.

I honestly think Ramsey has the smarts and the physical tools to be successful for many years here in Washington. He showed heart last season getting up after getting knocked on his a$$ time after time when our suspect line collapsed.

HTTR

I liked Ramsey and Harrington the best, but Carr and Harrington played on such bad teams that I'd like to see them over another year or two before passing judgement. Any QB would have been bad on the Lions or Texans.

You know, at the time, I really couldn't pick between the 3. Have a horrible bias about picking a QB in the top 1/2 of the first round. If they all dropped to where we picked, it would have been hard, but after this year, I think I would have picked Ramsey. That being said I thought Mathews could have done the job and would have gone trade down and guard and that pick. So, I can admit it, I would have probably made a dumb fu*k choice and got a prime guard instead of a prime QB. Time will tell.

This is a great (if pointless) question. At the time, I too would have picked Harrington. At present, I think all three are solid QB prospects, with the edge going to Ramsey and Harrington. Carr got beat up, and while he's tough and mature, I'd like to see more from him.

But I can easily see the QB's selected in last year's first round being seen reverently in coming years as the "Class of 2002".

This early in their careers it is really a toss up. On draft day, I honestly would have taken Harrington.

Right now, I would take Ramsey. I think he has more potential with the arm and the brains.

I am trying to be as objective as possible, but I probably am subconsciously biased.

Harrington did more in college, but I honestly think that Ramsey has better tools to be an elite NFL QB. I probally would have called it a wash and taken another position. At the time none of the three made me excited. I'll take either the mystery third QB depending on who's there, or get a QB from free agency.

But since we got him...Long live King Patrick!!!!:king:

At the time of the draft, I would have chosen Harrington first. In hindsight, I would choose Ramsey. I also believe that Carr will be a bust.

Ramsey is your classic pocket passer and his leadership skills and the way his teamates have rallied around him along with his amazingly quick release and arm strength, I would pick him first with out hesitation.

I confess that I too was one of those hoping that Harrington would somehow fall and the Skins would be able to trade up and draft him. However, after Detroit took away that possibility, I was hoping that the Skins would trade down and draft Ramsey (and not just take him with the pick they had). Glad it worked out that way, especially if Bauman or Russell pan out (didn't we draft one of them with the picks we gained from trading down?).

Of course, my pair of burgandy shade sunglasses would convince me to go with Ramsey. However, Carr and Harrington both possess an abundance of talent. I cant wait to see what Ramsey can do with all of the new weapons on offense and I am also curious as to how Carr would perform with Andre Johnson in the fold. Carr is a gunslinger with a hell of an arm but last year his wide receivers were subpar to say the least and his offensive line was atrocious.

One thing to remember too... Many high draft pick qb's go to really crappy teams. Ramsey was lucky that he went to the skins late in the draft. The Skins are obviously in a much better situation than the Texans or the Lions. Marino benefitted from his draft day slide.. he went to the Dolphins who had just gone to the superbowl and were already a pretty good team, where as Elway went to the Sorry a$$ bronco's and struggled for a long time.

I think that'w why many qb's end up being busts, not as much because of them alone, but because of the supporting casts.

I think it's fair to say Shuler was not surrounded by talent.

Code,

I've heard that last argument, but it really isn't true for Ramsey. He didn't play with an offensive group that was tremendously superior, talent-wise. The Redskins o-line including the tackles were horrible at the beginning of the year last year. The entire line was pretty weak and I don't know if they were considerably weaker than Houston or Detroit, but Wilbert and Loverne couldn't be much of an upgrade for those teams. The WR corp never really established itself either. I think you can make a fair comparison of Ramsey, Carr, and Harrington simply on the basis of offense and offensive weapons. Our only weapons were Gardner (who's a really a fine possession receiver, but not a gamer changer yet) and Davis (who was subpar and underutilized). Ramsey, in reality played on an offensive team that required and got a overhaul, pretty much from top to bottom. That he did as well as he did, in spite of the offensive line is a testament to him.

Ok all homerism aside and struggling not to throw objectivity out the window, my pick is Ramsey by a long shot.

Considering he was a camp holdout and was thrown to the fire as he was, I think Ramsey showed much more promise than both Carr and Harrington.

When it's all said and done, Patrick Ramsey will be viewed as the best QB from the 2002 draft - mark my words - and at #32, a steal at that.

I think Carr will be fine, though will not be considered worthy of a #1 overall pick, and Harrington will be looked at as the guy who busted.

I think all 3 are going to develop into quality QB's. I like Carr, he's got a good arm and he's tough. I like Harrington, I think he's a good leader and might not have the physical skills that Ramsey and Carr have, but he has the head for playing QB.

Theres something to be said about 'grooming' qbs, in their 1st year espescially. When you look at how Carr & Harrington struggled this year compared to Ramsey who sat most of the year, even with how well Ramsey did, after the season he still was quoted as saying he was so naive & ignorant of certain things.

A perfect example of this is the 99 draft of Couch, Mcnabb, Smith, Mcnown & Culpepper.

The guys thrown into the fire (Smith, Couch & Mcnown) have been busts, compared to Mcnabb & Culpepper (Culpepper didnt even see the field the 1st year)

Archived